If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Championship game! Even if it’s a preseason tournament that adds a little more to this game. The game is on ESPN2 @5:30, SUNDAY ***edit***

ESPN BPI predictor gives us a 67% chance of winning this thing but it’s still early in the season and Vermont is 4-0 with a strength of record sitting at 21. This could be another win that ends up boosting our resume at the end of the year.

Keep playing as smart and consistent as we have been and I think we pull the W out, but living by the three, anything can happen.

The announcer keeps saying it but this team is cerebral and just sticks to the game plan the entire game. Look for a good shot whether that’s quick or slow doesn’t matter and play tough D. So simple but not easy to execute, and certainly beautiful to watch.
Last edited by Kricket on November 18th, 2023, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The Catamounts have essentially owned the 1-bid America East. Coach John Becker has won the league and danced 5 of the 11 years he's coached the team. And they would have danced in 2020 like us if not for COVID. They have won their regular season 7 straight seasons. In the NCAA Tourney, they have never been brackted higher than a 13th seed. But Old Hags may remember when they took down 4th seed Syracuse back in 2005. But they have come close to pulling off upsets nealy every year of late. In other words, they typically are a very game opponent.

Let the record show that the game is actually on Sunday at 5:30 pm ET. So we will be up against the later afternoon NFL games on ESPN2.

Anyone else enjoy winning on Coastal's home floor as much I do? Poooooor Chants. We steal their football coach ... going undefeated in his first season ... and now we roll into their barn and lay beatdowns on their floor against quality basketball opponents. :lol:
flamehunter, Kricket, thesportscritic and 3 others liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Our ESPN SOR is 18 and Vermonts is 21. If we win this game I’d bet we’d be receiving some top 25 votes.

Also, basketball having an 18 SOR and Football at a 15 SOR is quite amazing. It just shows how spoiled we’ve been with our athletic performances since September.
jmclaughlin, Baybird liked this
By Ill flame
Sly Fox wrote: November 18th, 2023, 10:40 am Anyone else enjoy winning on Coastal's home floor as much I do? Poooooor Chants. We steal their football coach ... going undefeated in his first season ... and now we roll into their barn and lay beatdowns on their floor against quality basketball opponents. :lol:
Honestly I don't think about them at all until they are brought up but a tournament like this is the only way to beat a quality team on their floor. We wouldn't have had a shot at playing a good team if we had just scheduled a road game against them. It's crazy to me that our games have been better attended than theirs each day during their own tournament.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
In the '80s & '90s, we considered JMU the closest thing we had to a rival as we floated in I-AA Indy status. Then in the '00s & ' 10s we considered Coastal to be our rival. That's why those two teams engender such passion among our alumni. It will be awhile before we stop using those schools as benchmarks for us.
Cider Jim liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Two incredibly well coached teams with outstanding discipline. What a delight if a game to watch.

Glad Cleveland stepped up. I like him a lot.
Metheny is a HUGE addition
LU struggles with lay ups. Reminds me of some teams I’ve seen before…right @JK37 ? :D
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
What a balanced bunch we have on the floor every night. You never know who is going to step up.

We'll happily take this 71-61 victory over a quality opponent who will likely help us come Selection Sunday.
LU 57, thesportscritic, Baybird and 1 others liked this
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
MBI Champions. We are a really really freaking good basketball team.
By ECC29
I hope they give Metheny a full scholarship because he is worth it. That guy saved them tonight. Wow!
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Pivotal 3 by Metheny down the stretch when game was still close, and then, fearless game clinching drive to seal it.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
That was a heck of a win. Vermont is an extremely well coached team and this whole tournament has been a great early season test. There isn't any top tier players on this team but a lot of guys who have bought in and are elevating eachother. It's really a joy to watch.
Baybird, Dalegarz1 liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Metheny may be a Bowling Green transfer, but he was the WV Player of the Year from Morgantown. :shock:
JK37 liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: November 19th, 2023, 8:19 pm Two incredibly well coached teams with outstanding discipline. What a delight if a game to watch.

Glad Cleveland stepped up. I like him a lot.
Metheny is a HUGE addition
LU struggles with lay ups. Reminds me of some teams I’ve seen before…right @JK37 ? :D
For sure.

Metheny I like a TON. That step back late was a Big Time move. And he’s a U-High kid. Being from Morgantown, there are two large high schools. One preppy and soft, the other University High was always tougher, like “other side of the tracks.” Metheny came from the “tough” one.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
ECC29 wrote: November 19th, 2023, 8:42 pm I hope they give Metheny a full scholarship because he is worth it. That guy saved them tonight. Wow!
Why do you think he's NOT on a full scholarship?
Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]