If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
LU wins 103-43, five players score in double digits, and two more score 9 points each. Announced attendance was 3,600 and change. Comments about our post-Darius LU basketball team after game 1?

For Ballcoach and others, here is a link to the box score:
    https://libertyflames.com/sports/mens-b ... core/13199
    By flamehunter
    Registration Days Posts
    After a very sluggish first 10 minutes I thought they played very well as should be expected against that level of competition. I thought it was a great team effort. Metheny looks like a great addition as did Yates. The 3 Freshmen all will be redshirted which is a good sign for the future.
    By Cider Jim
    Registration Days Posts
    flamehunter wrote: November 7th, 2023, 7:40 am I thought it was a great team effort. Metheny looks like a great addition as did Yates.
    Yates is a 6'7" Creighton transfer who can hit the 3-ball. :shock: I was surprised that Curtis Blair III is red shirting. :dontgetit
    By Ill flame
    Well that game clears up some questions, primarily which freshman were going to play and which ones would redshirt. I'm curious what the plan is with shirer. Whether or not he just beat out the other freshmen guards and that's why he's not being redshirted or if mckay doesn't think as highly of him so didn't want to bother redshirting. It'll be interesting to see what our rotation looks like against better competition on Friday. I assume peebles will be our only guard off the bench and Robinson and Yates being the other two subs with spell and shirer only coming in during blowouts or if someone is in foul trouble.
    By Ill flame
    lueer wrote: November 7th, 2023, 10:54 am Shirer red-shirted last year
    I was wondering if that was the case but I couldn't remember him at all even though I remembered the other players that redshirted.
    By Kricket
    Registration Days Posts
    This team will live by the 3 and die by the 3. Every player will shoot the 3 outside of Cleveland.

No true one on one threat. I don’t think this will be a huge problem as long as the team plays unselfish ball and makes the extra pass.
    By Sly Fox
    Registration Days Posts
    Shirer's grandfather spoke in Convo on Friday and his brother was on the field Saturday. Pretty cool weekend for the Evans family.

Metheny is most definitey a Ritchie-style player. I am anxious to see who both he & Yates look against better competition. But both looked sharp in my first impresssions.

I admit that I am bit shocked that Blair is already being designated for redshirting. Pre-transfer portal, it wouldn't have raised eyebrows. But perhaps the most highly-touted recuit in school history being redshirted brings with it some inherent risk. Heaven forbid, injuries could force him into service this year. But this is definitely something I didn't anticipate in spoite of our overall depth.
    Cider Jim liked this
    By Dalegarz1
    It was enjoyable watching us move the ball on offense. I also liked the mentality of attacking the basket by our guards. Venzant is all world defensively!
    Election 2022 and 2024

You think NY is winnable for Trump?! Has […]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]