If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Tothehoopyall1
Lost in the shuffle of a busy week of sports at LU was the first NBA game for Darius McGee (not sure how this was kept so quiet). Let’s just say that I felt sorry for him last night. If last night is any indication he will not be playing in the NBA. He got zero minutes even though the Pacers were leading by 20 at times. He seemed buried at the end of the bench last night. Hopefully, Darius will get at least some opportunity to showcase what he can do at the next level.
By Baybird
Headed to Vegas this afternoon and hoping to catch his game tomorrow night. Will be sporting my ASOR Darius tshirt (version 1.0)! I may also get to the Wednesday game as there will be more of a chance to interact with him there!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Baybird wrote: July 9th, 2023, 8:07 am Headed to Vegas this afternoon and hoping to catch his game tomorrow night. Will be sporting my ASOR Darius tshirt (version 1.0)! I may also get to the Wednesday game as there will be more of a chance to interact with him there!
Barry’s steak house at Circa. You’ll thank me
JK37 liked this
Tothehoopyall1 wrote: July 9th, 2023, 6:58 am Lost in the shuffle of a busy week of sports at LU was the first NBA game for Darius McGee (not sure how this was kept so quiet). Let’s just say that I felt sorry for him last night. If last night is any indication he will not be playing in the NBA. He got zero minutes even though the Pacers were leading by 20 at times. He seemed buried at the end of the bench last night. Hopefully, Darius will get at least some opportunity to showcase what he can do at the next level.
A healthy DNP in a summer league game? That's rough, but happens. He better start brushing up on a foreign language though
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
McGhee's agent made the wrong call... Indiana is not a good team, so they send too many season players to summer league. And to get up big two games in a row - and still sit 4-5 guys - that's rough.

Only hope - they have seen what they needed to on Mathurin and Nembhard by now and they let everyone get some playing time moving forward.

I think it's dumb to put people on your summer roster and not play them at all... If I was a FA next year - I would remember that.
By Tothehoopyall1
I totally agree with you. Darius deserves to be getting at least 10 minutes a game. It’s ridiculous! So far he has 16 hand claps and 4 stumped toes on the bench. That’s about it. Hopefully his time is coming.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: July 11th, 2023, 7:44 pm He’s gonna make a nice living playing in Europe. That’s a good thing
I agree, but just was hoping maybe they could see that he has some potential to pick up some interest...
prototype wrote: July 11th, 2023, 8:11 am I think it's dumb to put people on your summer roster and not play them at all... If I was a FA next year - I would remember that.
Every team does that every year. These teams practice too you know.

Likewise, entering the games of July 16, there has only been seven games all of summer league where one team played all of their healthy players. Also, there has only been one game where both teams played all healthy players.

The NBA Summer League doesn't exist to hand out participation trophies.

Guy is 5'9", he should count himself fortunate anyone even signed him to a summer league deal so he can practice in front of international scouts.
Ill flame, JK37, Baybird liked this
By Ill flame
I know people don't like to hear it but if he really wanted an extended period of time to prove himself against top competition he should've transferred to a P6 conference instead of spending another year in the asun. I'm happy he stayed, we were certainly better off for it this year but there was nothing left to prove at the low major level.
flamehunter liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote: July 16th, 2023, 12:06 pm Guy is 5'9", he should count himself fortunate anyone even signed him to a summer league deal so he can practice in front of international scouts.
Darius got in a few minutes of playing time at the end of the game on Saturday. I didn't see him shoot, but he played some decent PG, and I don't remember him committing any turnovers. As odd as this sounds, Darius didn't look that short out there with the other NBA players.
By Baybird
Darius' game last night
MIN FG 3PT FT OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF +/- PTS
22 2-11 0-5 6-7 1 1 2 2 0 1 1 0 +1 10

*Tried to line up the stats, but didn't work. I guess it will be my last time reporting Darius' NBA stats. :)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Baybird wrote: July 17th, 2023, 8:21 am Darius' game last night

*Tried to line up the stats, but didn't work. I guess it will be my last time reporting Darius' NBA stats. :)
2-11 from the floor and 0-5 from 3? Ouch
flamehunter, Baybird liked this
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: July 17th, 2023, 8:46 am
Baybird wrote: July 17th, 2023, 8:21 am Darius' game last night

2-11 from the floor and 0-5 from 3? Ouch
Typical Liberty Fan: "But he had a blocked shot! He plays so much bigger than 5-9. If he doesn't make an NBA roster it will be a crime!" :lol:
Purple Haize, Baybird liked this
By Baybird
Darius is about to light 'em up for the Indiana Mad Ants tomorrow night in his G-League opener. Over the years, he has dazzled us with his sharpshooting skills, clutch performances, and an unyielding commitment to excellence as well as his testimony in the locker room. Here's hoping that hard work, dedication and indomitable spirit that defined him as a Flame will carry over to his pro career. Go Mad Ants!
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Does anyone also feel it's ironic that Darius is playing on team called the Mad ANTS? ;)

He looked pretty good. Some pretty passes. Hope he continues to shine there.
Baybird liked this
By Baybird
It had been a while since I checked on Darius and saw that he is no longer on the roster and has not been listed in the box scores since late last month. It looks like he only played in one game after the trip to Greensboro. Does anyone have news on what he's doing?
Election 2022 and 2024

You think NY is winnable for Trump?! Has […]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]