If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: March 15th, 2023, 8:28 am I thought there were 3 or 4 missed or bad calls in the first half. Second half was better. But I'm not big on basketball so maybe I'm wrong, only games I watch these days are Liberty games.
I’m 100% certain calls were missed that benefitted/disadvantaged each team. I’m also certain that the accuracy of the calls/no calls was pretty close to 99%
TH Spangler liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: March 15th, 2023, 9:44 am
TH Spangler wrote: March 15th, 2023, 8:28 am I thought there were 3 or 4 missed or bad calls in the first half. Second half was better. But I'm not big on basketball so maybe I'm wrong, only games I watch these days are Liberty games.
I’m 100% certain calls were missed that benefitted/disadvantaged each team. I’m also certain that the accuracy of the calls/no calls was pretty close to 99%
🤣👍
LUOrange liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: March 15th, 2023, 9:42 am
stokesjokes wrote: March 15th, 2023, 7:21 am
Purple Haize wrote: March 15th, 2023, 1:54 am

Yes but most don’t. And why does it matter? If it was really so one sided the refs wouldn’t have called those fouls at all
We were on the wrong side of a couple of obvious missed/bad calls, let fans be fans and whine about the refs.
And I’m sure Nova never experienced the same thing.
Yeah, but we don’t care about them
LUOrange liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
I just wish they would revisit the rules on charging and blocking. Give the defensive player a better deal. The way it is now you could foul out everyone if you called it by the rule. A few years ago they made changes in hockey and eliminate cluching and holding and blindside hits at the blueline and to my surprise the game improved. I think some changes to basketball would make it easier to officiate and better to watch. Just my opinion.
By Ill flame
I hate that any contact in the lane is a foul in most conferences. Unless the defender makes contact that affects a shot or there is excessive contact they should let them play. I don't have a problem with the criteria for a charging call but not every contact that doesn't meet the charging criteria should be a blocking foul. If the offensive player initiates contact but the defenders feet isn't set it or they are in the restricted zone then both players are culpable and no call should be made.
TH Spangler, AATL liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: March 15th, 2023, 3:01 pm I hate that any contact in the lane is a foul in most conferences. Unless the defender makes contact that affects a shot or there is excessive contact they should let them play. I don't have a problem with the criteria for a charging call but not every contact that doesn't meet the charging criteria should be a blocking foul. If the offensive player initiates contact but the defenders feet isn't set it or they are in the restricted zone then both players are culpable and no call should be made.
Just a guess: you a Big Ten fan? :lol:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: March 15th, 2023, 3:01 pm I hate that any contact in the lane is a foul in most conferences. Unless the defender makes contact that affects a shot or there is excessive contact they should let them play. I don't have a problem with the criteria for a charging call but not every contact that doesn't meet the charging criteria should be a blocking foul. If the offensive player initiates contact but the defenders feet isn't set it or they are in the restricted zone then both players are culpable and no call should be made.
You can still be moving as a defender and draw a charge
JK37 liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
My hot take on charges is this:

The dude who slides in, plants his feet, and puts his hands over his berries should not be rewarded with a charge call. Playing to get fouled is not in the spirit of the game. It’s weak when the offensive player is playing to get fouled and it’s weak when the defender does it too. Square up and play D, if the dude comes barreling through you while you’re actively defending, that’s a charge. If you’re trying to bait a dude while literally standing there holding your junk, you’re the problem and should be treated as such.
LUOrange liked this
By LUOrange
stokesjokes wrote: March 15th, 2023, 10:31 pm My hot take on charges is this:

The dude who slides in, plants his feet, and puts his hands over his berries should not be rewarded with a charge call. Playing to get fouled is not in the spirit of the game. It’s weak when the offensive player is playing to get fouled and it’s weak when the defender does it too. Square up and play D, if the dude comes barreling through you while you’re actively defending, that’s a charge. If you’re trying to bait a dude while literally standing there holding your junk, you’re the problem and should be treated as such.
My wife humorously pointed out to me the obvious differences a few weeks ago when we did the MBB-Hockey double header. How in MBB, all of the buff guys are good actors flopping around and acting all innocent and shocked when the ref blows his whistle. While the hockey guys are slamming into to each other, tripping one another, and then when the ref separated one of our guys from an opponent, he punched/jabbed the guy in the face.

It's awesome to almost always have a team to go cheer on. Summers suck, in this regard.
By Ill flame
Purple Haize wrote: March 15th, 2023, 8:49 pm
You can but it's very rare because you can't be moving toward the dribbler when contact is made or in his path to cause contact. This means the defender will actively have to be moving away from the contact which would make it a relatively easy call for the ref. That isn't really the borderline calls being discussed.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: March 16th, 2023, 11:32 am
Purple Haize wrote: March 15th, 2023, 8:49 pm
You can but it's very rare because you can't be moving toward the dribbler when contact is made or in his path to cause contact. This means the defender will actively have to be moving away from the contact which would make it a relatively easy call for the ref. That isn't really the borderline calls being discussed.
I quit paying attention after this statement
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]