If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

First off, we played hard today. Our guys had a great season and came up just short. Here are some of my thoughts as we finish the season.

I thought Porter emerged more than I thought he would this year (I was down on him for a while). It will be interesting to see how he does moving forward. It will also be interesting to see which seniors if any, decide to return next year.

The Blair kid has another year in HS, correct? Does HCRM hit the portal harder than ever this year? Thoughts.

A third surprise (at least to me) was how Brody was almost nonexistent in the last 3-5 games. He just didn't seem to have much to offer. Watching some of Bryson Spell's HS film I thought he would be more of a contributor this year, but he just doesn't seem ready for prime-time play at this point.

What surprised you this year? What are your thoughts on what is next for LU basketball?
Rode and Robinson were plenty tough. I’d rather have them taking shots and making plays down the stretch than Darius most games.

My hot take is that we have been down on talent since 2020-21. We’ve had higher rated recruits on paper these past few years, but we just haven’t had the real basketball talent since the class of ‘20 graduated.
stokesjokes wrote: March 5th, 2023, 8:54 pm Rode and Robinson were plenty tough. I’d rather have them taking shots and making plays down the stretch than Darius most games.

My hot take is that we have been down on talent since 2020-21. We’ve had higher rated recruits on paper these past few years, but we just haven’t had the real basketball talent since the class of ‘20 graduated.
I disagree. Missed free throws and stupid fouls agree with me.
Porter had to be the surprise of the year. Who would have thought he would have the success he had as a 17 year old true freshman, he made everyone better. Hopefully the new additions and guys physically maturing a year will make a difference.
To be honest, we didn't have the thickness and length to match up with KSU and we came very close to winning anyway. Even an average game from the 3-point line and we win going away. The defensive strategy to double McGhee on almost every play and emphasizing the perimeter forced some tough shots, yet we're tied with less than a minute left. Seeing how the rest of the team responded when Darius was struggling bodes well for next year.
AATL, LU 57 liked this
Porter is the obvious answer but Cleveland is the honorable mention. Both give me hope that we won't see a big regression next year. Peebles was looking great until about halfway through the year and then his scoring and subsequently his minutes plummeted. I'm not sure what happened there but I expect him to be one of our main scorers next year, we will need him to be.

If Warfield and venzant could learn to take the wide open shots that the defense consistently gives them that would make a huge difference on offense. Right now the defense just leaves them undefended which really cost mcghee at times. I'm excited to see what Blair is going to bring to the table next year. Between him, porter,Warfield, venzant, and peebles we are set in the back court. If it's true that we may get rode and/or Robinson back I think we will regress slightly without McGhee but it shouldn't be drastic.
Ill flame wrote: March 5th, 2023, 10:24 pm Porter is the obvious answer but Cleveland is the honorable mention. Both give me hope that we won't see a big regression next year. Peebles was looking great until about halfway through the year and then his scoring and subsequently his minutes plummeted. I'm not sure what happened there but I expect him to be one of our main scorers next year, we will need him to be.

If Warfield and venzant could learn to take the wide open shots that the defense consistently gives them that would make a huge difference on offense. Right now the defense just leaves them undefended which really cost mcghee at times. I'm excited to see what Blair is going to bring to the table next year. Between him, porter,Warfield, venzant, and peebles we are set in the back court. If it's true that we may get rode and/or Robinson back I think we will regress slightly without McGhee but it shouldn't be drastic.
I believe Blair has another year of high school unless he reclassifies like Porter.
Tothehoopyall1 wrote: March 5th, 2023, 10:46 pm
Ill flame wrote: March 5th, 2023, 10:24 pm Porter is the obvious answer but Cleveland is the honorable mention. Both give me hope that we won't see a big regression next year. Peebles was looking great until about halfway through the year and then his scoring and subsequently his minutes plummeted. I'm not sure what happened there but I expect him to be one of our main scorers next year, we will need him to be.

I believe Blair has another year of high school unless he reclassifies like Porter.
https://www.aseaofred.com/3-star-g-curt ... h-liberty/

He's a 2023 recruit.
Ill flame wrote: March 5th, 2023, 10:58 pm
Tothehoopyall1 wrote: March 5th, 2023, 10:46 pm

https://www.aseaofred.com/3-star-g-curt ... h-liberty/

He's a 2023 recruit.
Good deal. We will need him next year.
Once Cleveland gets more time in the weight room and gains that freshman 15 or so, he is going to be a beast. He's already a good shot blocker and rebounder.
Purple Haize, JK37, stokesjokes and 1 others liked this
He doesn't have Shiloh's shot that we've seen, but what I've liked about him is how assertive he is on offense. You can tell he wants to go at his defender. If he can mix in a couple of solid post moves once he gets to the paint, he'll be a problem for other teams. Definitely a better athlete than our current post players, quicker feet and more coordinated.
JK37 liked this
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]

LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 8 […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]