If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I recognize that we don't have the automatic NIT bid since we were the #2 seed in spite of the shared regular season title. But we will likely be offered a spot in that tourney. If not, we will have the option for CBI or TBT.

Last year, we turned down the invitations that came our way for a variety of reasons. This year I fully expect us to accept a bid to one of the leagues. The extra practices and the chance to get our younger players an elevated role would be advantageous. And I highly suspect Darius has zero interest in that game being the final taste of college ball he wants left in his mouth.

Thoughts?
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I’d take the NIT in a heartbeat. Wish we would have last year. We’re not a high major team, we should jump at the opportunity to be in a major tournament against potentially high major competition.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: March 5th, 2023, 7:40 pm I recognize that we don't have the automatic NIT bid since we were the #2 seed in spite of the shared regular season title. But we will likely be offered a spot in that tourney. If not, we will have the option for CBI or TBT.

Last year, we turned down the invitations that came our way for a variety of reasons. This year I fully expect us to accept a bid to one of the leagues. The extra practices and the chance to get our younger players an elevated role would be advantageous. And I highly suspect Darius has zero interest in that game being the final taste of college ball he wants left in his mouth.

Thoughts?
Last years team seemed like they were done after the Tourney. I wasn’t surprised they turned down post season play. This years team seems like they still want to play some more
By Ill flame
NIT is a no brainer. We have an opportunity to play up to 5 games on ESPN and even host a game or two if we get a decent seed. It's good exposure for the program without much downside.
badger74 liked this
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
I think that we still have an outside shot at an at=large NCAA bid if things go our way and all the regular season champs win in the major tournaments this week. We really get hurt when there are upsets in those conference tournaments and also-rans get in. Darius has star power and we have a great record the last four years. The networks love a story and I could see a LU-UVA first round game. If not, an NIT bid would be great. These guys deserve something good to happen, IMHO they have overachieved from my perspective.
By Tnobes
Overachieved? They were the favorite to win the conference, they didn't. They underachieved. If they don't win conference USA next year, they will underachieve. Conference championship is the standard
JK37, Baybird liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: March 5th, 2023, 9:30 pm NCAA is off the table.
The Big XII and the B1G are going to eat up a lot of At Large bids this year
By AATL
Purple Haize wrote: March 5th, 2023, 10:01 pm
JK37 wrote: March 5th, 2023, 9:30 pm NCAA is off the table.
The Big XII and the B1G are going to eat up a lot of At Large bids this year
Shame, because the B1G is incredibly mediocre this year. Most of those teams won't see the Round of 32.
badger74 liked this
By jack_sparrow81
Registration Days Posts
NIT invite must be for sure. Alabama has had a great year, Oral Roberts/Southern Miss/Bradley all won their regular season titles, Northwestern is 3rd in the Big 10. Lipscomb or EKU must be our worst lost. Was Bradley our best win? Anyone watching today's game knew something was off with Darius- possibly either hurt his arm/elbow.
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
Tnobes wrote:Overachieved? They were the favorite to win the conference, they didn't. They underachieved. If they don't win conference USA next year, they will underachieve. Conference championship is the standard
Physically, I didn't see it that way, and if you consider anything less than winning the conference championship a failure every year, you will be disappointed. As a very good football coach once told me, "...the problem is, that other team is busting their #$%&* to try to win too!" Just because LU has a great Coach and great facilities, that doesn't always translate to championships. Lynchburg Va. is hardly the urban mecca where many of today's players aspire to spend their college years and LU is specifically looking for the type players that fit the culture. Being in a position to compete for championships is a reasonable goal, but many really successful coaches have been run off by boosters and alums who had no grasp of reality.
LUOrange, badger74 liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: March 5th, 2023, 10:44 pm Ok now, this is the debate and debaters I came to see. Let’s go!! Popcorn READY!!!! :twisted:
:popcorn :popcorn :popcorn
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote: March 12th, 2023, 10:11 pm Anyone have the skinny on NIT Tickets?
It looks like tickets will go on sale tomorrow morning.

Here is a message sent to season ticket holders:

Thank you for supporting LU Men's Basketball this season. You helped cheer on the Flames and gave them an incredible home court advantage in Liberty Arena.

The excitement is not over yet! We are hopeful for an invitation to the NIT, and based on our NET ranking, hope to host a first-round game in Liberty Arena next week. We will not know until Sunday evening, however because of NIT ticketing policies, we need to know in advance if you would like to keep your season ticket seats for the first-round game.

The game could be Tuesday, March 14th or Wednesday, March 15th and could tip off anytime between 6 p.m. and 9 p.m. At this time you only have the option to keep your same exact number and location of seats as the regular season. If you need to get less tickets or want to change your seat location, you will be able to purchase when tickets go on sale on Monday morning.

Hosting an NIT game is not confirmed, and if we are not selected or do not host, your card will not be charged. Filling out this form does confirm that you are okay with your card being charged for your seat location and number of seats should we host a NIT first round game.

The deadline to submit the form is Sunday, March 12 at 5 p.m. Any seats not claimed at this time will go on sale to the public Monday morning.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]