If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

stokesjokes wrote: March 5th, 2023, 7:39 pm
AATL wrote: March 5th, 2023, 7:00 pm With some vets returning and continued growth for younguns like Porter and Cleveland, there's still a bright future ahead next year.
Hope springs eternal, but I’m tired of looking forward to next year.
To each his own, and I get the sentiment. To me, three championships and four appearances in five years is one heck of an achievement. If you told me Liberty basketball would do the same in the next five years of CUSA, I'd take it.
stokesjokes, JK37, LUOrange liked this
Ill flame wrote: March 5th, 2023, 6:32 pm I just don't see a scenario where we get an at large bid which is unfortunate because I think we could've won a game or two if McGhee got hot again. The endings to basketball games are the worst in sports. Combine that with inconsistent officiating every game and there's a reason why I watch football, baseball and hockey more. There's no other sport where officiating has such a massive affect on the outcome of games.
MLB and CWS on line #1
Ill flame liked this
Purple Haize wrote: March 5th, 2023, 8:01 pm
Ill flame wrote: March 5th, 2023, 6:32 pm I just don't see a scenario where we get an at large bid which is unfortunate because I think we could've won a game or two if McGhee got hot again. The endings to basketball games are the worst in sports. Combine that with inconsistent officiating every game and there's a reason why I watch football, baseball and hockey more. There's no other sport where officiating has such a massive affect on the outcome of games.
MLB and CWS on line #1
Thank God the NHL has really nailed down that "goaltender interference" thing :wink:

I jest, and totally agree.
Humble_Opinion wrote: March 5th, 2023, 8:00 pm I saw a half dozen uncalled fouls on the other end of the floor that looked a lot like what Warfield did. I don’t care if he fouled the guy. We didn’t see many of those sort of calls on our end, and that’s my problem. And yeah I am salty. The calling was inconsistent much like it has been this whole year.
Darius gets the Steph Curry treatment. A superstar who can get grabbed, held, and bumped off-ball all game without getting any calls.
LUOrange liked this
MLB and CWS on line #1
World baseball classic starts this week. This will be the best one yet based on talent.
AATL liked this
It’s just pain. I had the privilege???? of being there in person for this gut punch.
I hate that it ended on a foul.
I hate that Darius will undoubtedly beat himself up over this.
LUOrange liked this
I believe this team was better than that 2019 team that won a tourney game. This team was better by every advanced metric there is and even played a tougher schedule. I would say our offense was more well rounded back then but it wasnt better. Our defense wasn't as good as this years and I give venzant and warfield for that.

Also, in 2019 we weren't the 800 pound gorilla in the room that every team in the conference had circled on their calender. The kennesaw state coach even admitted hes watched every single Liberty game this year and I guarantee the other teams in the conference that beat us did the same. They figured out that we struggle when we are fouled everytime down the court and used it to their advantage. I guarantee they spent a lot less time scouting the other teams than us.

On one hand it's nice to be that team with a giant bullseye on your back because it's tough to earn but it'll be nice to just be another game on the schedule in CUSA for a couple years.
Cider Jim liked this
Metrics be darned. That team’s stud was better than this team’s. That team had more guards that could score. That team had bigs that were tough and could finish.

I’m an analytics guy even, and I’m telling you if I had to pick either team to coach and take into a must-win game, it’s that one.

Go watch the ~10 minute YouTube highlights from that Mississippi State game. That team could do so many more things this team couldn’t. And I like both. It’s a funny debate! The team of James-Homesley-Cabbil-Cuffee-Pacheco (remember Darius and Myo came off the bench with that group!) >> this year’s group of McGhee-Rode-Porter-Preston-Vanzant w/ Peebles and Shiloh off the bench.

If the two team’s played each other ten times, it wouldn’t be a clean sweep - because at least a couple times 2023-Darius is going to GO OFF. But I bet it would be 6-4 or 7-3 in favor of the 2019 group.

One reason the metrics might like 2023 more than 2019: this group played a way better ooc schedule than that one.
Team is resilient and gutty, but I think some confuse that with talented. This team is not that talented. They were expected to win the ASUN before the year and were a favorite today, and lost. Mainly because Darius had his worst game at the worst time, 4 turnovers, 0-11 from three. We are going to have to get longer and more athletic to compete and have a shot at winning CUSA.

On the bright side, Porter and Cleveland did play well today.

People saying this team was better than the 2019 are CRAZY. This team only had one win over the 85th ranked team in Bradley, who was missing 3 starters that game. The 2019 team beat the 21st team Mississippi State in the tournament, and took Virginia Tech who was like 13th to the limit before losing. They also beat Lipscomb twice who was ranked 45th. Kennesaw was ranked 129, for comparison, and we didn't even win!
AATL wrote: March 5th, 2023, 8:05 pm
MLB and CWS on line #1
Thank God the NHL has really nailed down that "goaltender interference" thing :wink:

I jest, and totally agree.
:lol: in football offensive pass interference (pushing off) not called enough. Offensive line holding to often. Hockey, goaltender interfere differently not called enough. In basketball rules should be changed on charging. If the ball handlers clearly initiate the contact defender should not be penalized. Just my opinion.
Last edited by TH Spangler on March 6th, 2023, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not to get into the weeds but that’s already in place for basketball. In fact it’s a basic tenet. “Who initiated contact? Did the contact warrant a foul or was it incidental?” The issue becomes when a defender is not in legal guarding position AND the offensive player initiates contact
TH Spangler liked this
Kenpom Rankings:
2023: 47th
Offense: 55
Defense: 54
SOS: 222

2019: 58th
Offense: 54
Defense: 87
SOS: 230

Torvik rankings:
2023: 40
Offense: 56
Defense: 46
SOS: 229

2019: 72
Offense: 65
Defense: 103
SOS: 251

Offenses are essentially identical but our defense was significantly better this year and that's the difference maker. Earlier in the season I was not impressed by our defense but ill eat crow on that one, this was the best defensive year in program history by a decent margin and that's saying a lot because the 2019 team was great on that side of the court.

Something i thought was interesting that some of you might find interesting, Torvik has a points above replacement stat at the link below. McGhee was worth 5, rode was worth 2.9 and surprisingly Preston was third on the team with 1.9 points above replacement. In 2019 James was our top player with 3.6, three other players finished above 2. The difference between him and McGhee is pretty massive. As I said before, that 2019 team was more balanced on offense.

https://barttorvik.com/team.php?year=2023&team=Liberty
Unfortunately, bad games happen and McGhee's bad game came at the most inopportune time. Of course, I could see it coming since he had cold halves vs. Belly, EKU, and some late regular season games. It happens he gets tired, and ASUCK teams are hacking him and us to death and getting away with it. I do wonder if he was just tired or nursing a naggy injury, on top of the hard foul he took to the arm during the game.

That said, I McKay putting McGhee back in the game around th 6 minute mark or so of the 2nd was a bad idea, as the Boys were rolling without him and we needed to ride that out considering McGhee's shooting woes. Although, how do you blame someone for putting your most lethal weapon back in? You don't.

Then when they fouled Preston with under 2 minutes to go, that was the game sealer for me cause they essentially got the ball back. We needed to score on that possession and we didn't the ball. Heck if Preston hit one of those frees, it's a different game.

Oh well, the Boys played hard and had a good last ASUCK season. Hopefully onto the NIT.
After a day of reflection, a couple of things:

As mentioned, putting McGhee back in was a questionable move because the team took the lead with him on the bench. When he was not in, they know they no longer had the huge crutch to lean on.
Preaton should have never been on the court, especially in the last 5 minutes of the game. He is useless on offense and a true detriment at the free throw line 42%. Using Peebles a little earlier and getting Cleveland and Robinson using up the rest of Preston's minutes, would have been much more effective.
I think we were slightly out-coached in this game. But the big difference was DM being cold, for whatever reason. I wanted to see us win this game, but we would have been 1 and out in the tourney anyway.
Looks like we have some good young pieces to be the foundation of nest years team. We do need at least one legitimate BIG though. Play Basketball Play Basketball 8)
JK37 wrote: March 5th, 2023, 11:45 pm That team had more guards that could score. That team had bigs that were tough and could finish.
This is what it comes down to for me. No one on this team (outside of Darius) can take their defender one on one and score. Fine, when our offense is flowing we may have better metrics this year, but when the game slows down and we need a bucket, we've got nothing. IMO even Darius doesn't make good decisions in those situations. In 2019, you had 4, maybe 5 guys who could get you a bucket. Now we have 1, and he's prone to taking bad shots or driving with nowhere to go in those situations.
Chippy liked this
flameshaw wrote: March 6th, 2023, 11:30 am Preston should have never been on the court, especially in the last 5 minutes of the game. He is useless on offense and a true detriment at the free throw line 42%. Using Peebles a little earlier and getting Cleveland and Robinson using up the rest of Preston's minutes, would have been much more effective.
From my seat on the couch, I'd say you are not wrong in your assessment. Porter, Rode, and Cleveland almost won it for us. Darius was having an off night. Sometimes that happens. As the saying goes, "live by the 3; die by the 3." :(
flameshaw liked this
Cider Jim wrote: March 6th, 2023, 11:16 pm
flameshaw wrote: March 6th, 2023, 11:30 am Preston should have never been on the court, especially in the last 5 minutes of the game. He is useless on offense and a true detriment at the free throw line 42%. Using Peebles a little earlier and getting Cleveland and Robinson using up the rest of Preston's minutes, would have been much more effective.
From my seat on the couch, I'd say you are not wrong in your assessment. Porter, Rode, and Cleveland almost won it for us. Darius was having an off night. Sometimes that happens. As the saying goes, "live by the 3; die by the 3." :(
I'd say Preston played well, and you could argue that he should've played more and definitely vs. EKU. He's our only real big guy and he changed things by clogging the middle and getting more rebounds. He also pretty good down low on the offense with post ups and put backs. My point about them fouling him speaks for itself, cause he's a liability at the foul line and he got worse in the tournament- probably trying too hard.
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

Just remember that fine academic institution, Lo[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Half of the ads are about how Bob Good is tough on[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]