If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: February 16th, 2023, 9:59 pm Physical is one thing, but some of the excessive bumping and grabbing of jerseys is dirty basketball.
Bumping, hard fouls, grabbing jerseys = Physical
Just John liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
It’s not like we lost because they were playing physical. They were playing just as physically when we were up 14. We just lost our nerve.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: February 16th, 2023, 10:15 pm It’s not like we lost because they were playing physical. They were playing just as physically when we were up 14. We just lost our nerve.
It wore LU down. KSU is deeper.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: February 16th, 2023, 9:49 pm KSU plays like a bunch of thugs. Plus, like 90% of the ASUN, we get to watch a live broadcast from a high school gymnasium.
It seats 600 more than our gym. It was a sellout and a lot of enthusiasm from the students!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: February 16th, 2023, 10:19 pm
LU 57 wrote: February 16th, 2023, 10:08 pm
TH Spangler wrote: February 16th, 2023, 9:58 pm Porter has played terrible
5 TOs
Hate to single out one player ..... but he was targeted by KSU and it worked.
Glad someone was watching the game. That was a great strategy
LU 57 liked this
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Seems like we reverted to bad habits of last season going to Darius at the expense of a team game. It's a conundrum, he's a scoring machine, your biggest weapon, and fun to watch but KSU had much better scoring balance which keeps the defense honest.

I think we got the benefit of several flops tonight but that stuff equals out. Maybe this loss will bring an edge we will need in the tournament.
By Ill flame
Purple Haize wrote: February 16th, 2023, 10:16 pm
stokesjokes wrote: February 16th, 2023, 10:15 pm It’s not like we lost because they were playing physical. They were playing just as physically when we were up 14. We just lost our nerve.
They got almost no production from their bench. They didn't wear us down we just reverted to standing around watching McGhee play hero ball like last season instead of our normal offense. The defense was ultimately what hurt us though.
By Tothehoopyall1
A costly loss for us. Porter played poorly and we moved away from playing as a team. If Porter can’t get it done against top tier competition moving forward we need to adjust sooner. We can’t keep riding someone who’s turning the ball over every 3 minutes.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote: February 16th, 2023, 10:18 pm
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: February 16th, 2023, 9:49 pm KSU plays like a bunch of thugs. Plus, like 90% of the ASUN, we get to watch a live broadcast from a high school gymnasium.
It seats 600 more than our gym. It was a sellout and a lot of enthusiasm from the students!
It doesn't look nearly as big as the LU arena although Sky shows it at 4600 seats. I though I heard the announcer mentioned the crowd of 3,000 a couple times. But agree, they played a good game and their crowd was into it. Good for them after what they have endured the last few years.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: February 16th, 2023, 10:25 pm
Purple Haize wrote: February 16th, 2023, 10:16 pm
They got almost no production from their bench. They didn't wear us down we just reverted to standing around watching McGhee play hero ball like last season instead of our normal offense. The defense was ultimately what hurt us though.
The defense is what wears you down. That’s not going to show up on the stat sheet
ballcoach15 liked this
By BuryYourDuke
Registration Days Posts
Will be happy to eat my words on this in a few weeks…

Kennesaw is better than we are. It took 43 from Darius for us to lose a close one. Liberty is what it is, small and not particularly athletic. If it’s a good shooting night, or we are playing a team that doesn’t have much length, we are fine. Any combination of length, physicality, or athleticism beats us. Outside of all that, Porter just had a bad night, but the coaches have to recognize that and make the right moves.

Can easily still win the A-Sun tournament, but I don’t see any sort of NCAA run here.
By Tothehoopyall1
I’ll say it again. I’m not sure Porter makes it 4 years here as a starter. If we pick up a Georgie Pacheco type player, Porter’s minutes are going to dwindle.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: February 16th, 2023, 10:51 pm Slowwww down. Porter had a bad game. He’s a true freshman, it’ll happen. He also earned a starting spot as a freshman and has been a big part of our success this year.
Exactly. They game planned him and it worked. He’s gonna/gotta learn to deal with it
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
At least the WBB beat Queens (but LU softball lost to Ole Miss).
By jmclaughlin
stokesjokes wrote: February 16th, 2023, 11:45 am
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: February 16th, 2023, 2:59 am I think we prove who is the undisputed top dog in the ASUN & I think we do it convincingly! We win this game by 14 or more.
I appreciate the optimism, I think there's a very real chance that we smoke them, and I think it's also our best chance. We've had some games where our offense just flows incredibly, which sets our defense up well and we coast.

I don't trust us in a close game, and I think we lose this one if we let it be close. We haven't proven to be great in crunch time, lots of stagnant offense and hero ball in close games. the only exception this year was the last game vs EKU, maybe that shows us turning a corner, but they're obviously more comfortable in those situations than we are.
Bro…this was prognostic brilliance
stokesjokes liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
On Porter, all of the above. He was ask to move the ball, drive, free up McGhee. Except for his numerous TO's .... it worked for McGhee. On defense Poter didn't get it done. KSU is quick and physical and he was over matched. Yes, he's a freshman he'll be fine.

Credit to the rest of the team, they played great. You hate to see that kind of effort go up in smoke because of one flaw. Porter TO's.

We'll have do like we did against Lipscomb a couple of years ago, win the tournament rematch on the road.
Last edited by TH Spangler on February 17th, 2023, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: February 16th, 2023, 10:51 pm Slowwww down. Porter had a bad game. He’s a true freshman, it’ll happen. He also earned a starting spot as a freshman and has been a big part of our success this year.
Not only a true freshman, but a re-classified freshman. He would have been a senior in HS.
I think he will be one of the best PG in Liberty history when all is said and done.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
jmclaughlin wrote: February 17th, 2023, 1:45 am
stokesjokes wrote: February 16th, 2023, 11:45 am
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: February 16th, 2023, 2:59 am I think we prove who is the undisputed top dog in the ASUN & I think we do it convincingly! We win this game by 14 or more.
I appreciate the optimism, I think there's a very real chance that we smoke them, and I think it's also our best chance. We've had some games where our offense just flows incredibly, which sets our defense up well and we coast.

I don't trust us in a close game, and I think we lose this one if we let it be close. We haven't proven to be great in crunch time, lots of stagnant offense and hero ball in close games. the only exception this year was the last game vs EKU, maybe that shows us turning a corner, but they're obviously more comfortable in those situations than we are.
Bro…this was prognostic brilliance
Just call me a blind squirrel
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote: February 17th, 2023, 7:35 am
Not only a true freshman, but a re-classified freshman. He would have been a senior in HS.
I think he will be one of the best PG in Liberty history when all is said and done.
I didn’t realize that. No wonder he looks like a kid. I just thought I was getting old.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: February 17th, 2023, 9:23 am
flamehunter wrote: February 17th, 2023, 7:35 am Not only a true freshman, but a re-classified freshman. He would have been a senior in HS.
I didn’t realize that. No wonder he looks like a kid. I just thought I was getting old.
I don't even think he is shaving yet!
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]