If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Tothehoopyall1
flamehunter wrote: February 17th, 2023, 7:35 am
stokesjokes wrote: February 16th, 2023, 10:51 pm Slowwww down. Porter had a bad game. He’s a true freshman, it’ll happen. He also earned a starting spot as a freshman and has been a big part of our success this year.
Not only a true freshman, but a re-classified freshman. He would have been a senior in HS.
I think he will be one of the best PG in Liberty history when all is said and done.
With all due respect I disagree on this one. I am trying to see it (hoping I'm wrong), but I just don't see it. He's making me realize how good Georgie Pacheco was.
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
Did I miss something about Blake Preston? I was watching the game at work and didn't know if he was hurt or sick. Seems to me he would have presented a deterrent to all those drives to the basket in the last ten minutes of the game. True KSU was unconscious from 3-point range, but a lot of damage was done by Youngblood and the other guard driving and getting fouled there at the end. Preston's presence in the middle makes a difference in at least altering some shots. As for offense, when Preston is out, there is rarely an entry pass to the post and that make the other teams guards cheat out on our shooters. IMHO, when we go up 14, there should have been a concerted effort to slow things down and at least get some touches to Blake under the basket. I think that he is sometimes underutilized and his experience is not taken advantage of.
Love our team, love our coach, just a thought.
By Tothehoopyall1
We had a nice low post entry to Blake early in the second half. He posted up well and received the ball with no issue. All he had to do was go up and dunk/lay it in. He held on to the ball like he was scared and we ended up losing posession and what should have been an easy 2 points. Shortly after he was taken out of the game and I don't think he made much impact in the second half.
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
So you pull him aside and coach him up to take that shot next time and put him back in. If you took every player out that made a mistake, you would soon be out of players. I don't see practices, but by all accounts he has a good attitude and is coachable. I just think that his size and physicality matters, especially when you play a physical team like last night.
By Tothehoopyall1
Racenut wrote: February 17th, 2023, 2:20 pm So you pull him aside and coach him up to take that shot next time and put him back in. If you took every player out that made a mistake, you would soon be out of players. I don't see practices, but by all accounts he has a good attitude and is coachable. I just think that his size and physicality matters, especially when you play a physical team like last night.
I agree (although I wish he would just go straight up with the ball and stop wasting time)! Porter was probably the player that needed to be on the bench more than the court last night (IMO).
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: February 17th, 2023, 4:08 pm Who is our backup point guard? Burggraf?
That's funny! :lol: When Porter comes out, I think McGhee or Rode bring the ball up the court. Burggraff only comes in when we have a huge lead and about a minute left in the game. Play Basketball
By Tothehoopyall1
Cider Jim wrote:
stokesjokes wrote: February 17th, 2023, 4:08 pm Who is our backup point guard? Burggraf?
That's funny! :lol: When Porter comes out, I think McGhee or Rode bring the ball up the court. Burggraff only comes in when we have a huge lead and about a minute left in the game. Play Basketball
Thankfully, we have a number of guys that can bring the ball up the court. This is where it gets interesting as to leaving Porter in when he's not getting the job done.
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
Porter is not the problem. He is incredibly talented for a freshman and will only get better. Our inside game needs to develop so that he has players to distribute to in the front court. If we don't have a consistent inside presence the defense will always extend further out on the perimeter. BP needs more minutes not less.
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
Porter is not the problem. He is incredibly talented for a freshman and will only get better. Our inside game needs to develop so that he has players to distribute to in the front court. If we don't have a consistent inside presence the defense will always extend further out on the perimeter. BP needs more minutes not less.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Racenut wrote: February 17th, 2023, 11:34 am Did I miss something about Blake Preston? I was watching the game at work and didn't know if he was hurt or sick. Seems to me he would have presented a deterrent to all those drives to the basket in the last ten minutes of the game. True KSU was unconscious from 3-point range, but a lot of damage was done by Youngblood and the other guard driving and getting fouled there at the end. Preston's presence in the middle makes a difference in at least altering some shots. As for offense, when Preston is out, there is rarely an entry pass to the post and that make the other teams guards cheat out on our shooters. IMHO, when we go up 14, there should have been a concerted effort to slow things down and at least get some touches to Blake under the basket. I think that he is sometimes underutilized and his experience is not taken advantage of.
Preston is a brick-layer. Yes, he has had a few decent games this year. However, how many times have you seen him right under the basket and can't even hit the backboard with a shot? Not a very good player, IMHO. Could he have stopped some of those shots inside????????
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote: February 17th, 2023, 9:22 pm Preston is shooting over 69% FG this season. Is that a stat for a bricklayer? :lol:
Top FG% in the country is 72.4%. FYI
7 out of 10 lay-ups isn't that good. But ok. 8) 8)
By Tothehoopyall1
Racenut wrote: February 17th, 2023, 4:47 pm Porter is not the problem. He is incredibly talented for a freshman and will only get better. Our inside game needs to develop so that he has players to distribute to in the front court. If we don't have a consistent inside presence the defense will always extend further out on the perimeter. BP needs more minutes not less.
I’ll stick with my claim that he will not be a 4 year starter. I could be wrong but I just don’t see it.
By Tothehoopyall1
flameshaw wrote: February 17th, 2023, 6:20 pm
Racenut wrote: February 17th, 2023, 11:34 am Did I miss something about Blake Preston? I was watching the game at work and didn't know if he was hurt or sick. Seems to me he would have presented a deterrent to all those drives to the basket in the last ten minutes of the game. True KSU was unconscious from 3-point range, but a lot of damage was done by Youngblood and the other guard driving and getting fouled there at the end. Preston's presence in the middle makes a difference in at least altering some shots. As for offense, when Preston is out, there is rarely an entry pass to the post and that make the other teams guards cheat out on our shooters. IMHO, when we go up 14, there should have been a concerted effort to slow things down and at least get some touches to Blake under the basket. I think that he is sometimes underutilized and his experience is not taken advantage of.
Preston is a brick-layer. Yes, he has had a few decent games this year. However, how many times have you seen him right under the basket and can't even hit the backboard with a shot? Not a very good player, IMHO. Could he have stopped some of those shots inside????????
I like Blake as a person. He seems like an awesome dude. I would agree with the latter assessment above on him as a player. It is a shame he is so limited on offense. If he had a decent hook/foul line jumper/could make free throws it would make a huge difference for this team.
flameshaw liked this
By Dalegarz1
Put a call out for Bible Believing Bigs! The words “go up strong” seem to be lost without big men. It’s obvious they’re afraid to get a shot blocked. He who hesitates is…
By Tothehoopyall1
Dalegarz1 wrote:Put a call out for Bible Believing Bigs! The words “go up strong” seem to be lost without big men. It’s obvious they’re afraid to get a shot blocked. He who hesitates is…
He who hesitates…hurts the team…and heads to the bench. :D
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: February 17th, 2023, 9:23 am
flamehunter wrote: February 17th, 2023, 7:35 am
stokesjokes wrote: February 16th, 2023, 10:51 pm Slowwww down. Porter had a bad game. He’s a true freshman, it’ll happen. He also earned a starting spot as a freshman and has been a big part of our success this year.
Not only a true freshman, but a re-classified freshman. He would have been a senior in HS.
I think he will be one of the best PG in Liberty history when all is said and done.
I didn’t realize that. No wonder he looks like a kid. I just thought I was getting old.
Two things can be true at the same time! :lol:

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm that[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]