If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Ill flame
The population is 281,247 within a 30 mile of radius of campus. Here's the P5s in that ballpark.

Auburn-303,477
Penn State-302,707
Baylor-293,786
Texas A&M-288,208
Alabama-249,918
Illinois-274,733
Mississippi State-169,050
Ole Miss-151,719
Washington State-145,369
Kansas State-141,614
Oklahoma State-133,645

Of course we will never have the backing of the locals like the teams on this list but I believe only Washington state and maybe K state from this list would be considered to have a small fanbase. I agree with purple haize that this issue should improve over time as the university grows and more alumni stay in the area and have kids that grow up fans of the school. We've only been above 10,000 students on campus for about 20 years and 15,000 students for about 5 years so it'll take time.

The size of the fanbase near campus is important because those are generally the diehards creating the buzz around the school/programs but the size of the fanbase around the country will be equally if not more important for us in realignment. From the eyeball test it seems like i see more red during away games than a few years ago but if we can get to the point where hundreds of flames fans are going to our away games I will feel like we are officially a national brand and that's something that conferences will notice. In that respect we have a long way to go but hopefully being on national TV several times a year (and winning more) expedites that process. In the meantime I'm enjoying the ride.
By lawdawg2002
Moving up athletically is tied to academics more than many of you want to recognize and it is only moderately about being a Christian university. Ask yourself who makes the decisions as to who is in a conference. The presidents make the decisions. Who does the president ask about whether their school wants to be tied to another school? They ask the AD and Provost whether their school wants to be tied to our school. We have a great AD, who is respected for his skills by other ADs. What does their Provost say when asked about LU?

I believe we need to continue to build athletics, but really make an investment in getting academic respect. Make sure we have a president and provost that can begin to build bridges with Baylor, BYU, and West Virginia looking at the Big 12. One of their presidents is a Christian and the other two are Mormons. (Other presidents may be religiously affiliated, these are just the ones that I know off the top of my head.) The conference is a nice combination of public and private schools. I really believe that if we move wisely and strategically over the next 5-10 years, the Big 12 could be in play.
ballcoach15, LUOrange liked this
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Does Gonzaga and St Mary have D1 football ? When[…]

LaTech

We are halfway through the season, yet we are stil[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]