If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Florida Gulf Coast University
Fort Myers, Florida

FGCU Hoops Official Site

Pat Chambers
1st Season as FGCU Head Coach

2022-2023 Schedule/Results

Nov 07 - @ USC ............................................................. W 74-61
Nov 09 - @ San Diego ..................................................... L 73-79
Nov 13 - AVE MARIA ....................................................... W 105-61
Nov 16 - @ Tennessee .................................................... L 50-81
Nov 21 - vs. Northern Kentucky in Estero, FL ................ W 82-61
Nov 22 - vs. Drexel in Estero, FL ..................................... W 67-59
Nov 23 - vs. Kansas City in Estero, FL ............................. W 73-59
Nov 30 - @ Georgia Southern ........................................ W 70-53
Dec 04 - FIU ................................................................... W 74-65
Dec 07 - @ FAU .............................................................. L 53-85
Dec 10 - MERCER ........................................................... W 67-62
Dec 16 - @ St. Bonaventure ........................................... W 71-58
Dec 21 - CANISIUS ......................................................... W 84-81
Dec 31 - JACKSONVILLE ................................................. W 72-65
Jan 02 - @ Central Arkansas .......................................... W 84-79
Jan 05 - @ Austin Peay .................................................. L 59-61
Jan 07 - NORTH FLORIDA .............................................. W 82-57
Jan 12 - @ Eastern Kentucky ......................................... L 76-97
Jan 14 - @ Bellarmine .................................................... L 41-61
Jan 19 - JACKSONVILLE STATE ...................................... W 55-51
Jan 21 - KENNESAW STATE ............................................ L 63-65
Jan 26 - @ Queens ......................................................... L 82-84
Jan 28 - @ Liberty
Feb 02 - CENTRAL ARKANSAS
Feb 04 - NORTH ALABAMA
Feb 09 - @ North Florida
Feb 11 - @ Jacksonville
Feb 15 - @ Stetson
Feb 18 - STETSON
Feb 22 - LIPSCOMB
Feb 24 - AUSTIN PEAY

Key Player

#10 Zach Anderson
6' 7" 205 lbs Junior Forward
Thru 20 Games: Averaging 12.8 Pts, 7.8 Rebs & 2.1 Assists + 21-of-52 (40.4%) on 3-Pt Attempts + 51.8 FG%
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Looks like they are having a Jekyl and Hyde season, some good wins mixed with some really bad losses.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I thought they were good. Looks like imma be selling
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Things were just beachy until 2023 showed up.

But if we don't play up to our typical standards they still have enough talent to steal one.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I like FGCU uniforms
By Ill flame
These refs love the sound of their whistles. There's been almost a foul a minute so far.
By tyndal23
Crowd sounds MUCH LOUDER than against Stetson ( which sounded like a high school game on tv ).
By Ill flame
tyndal23 wrote: January 28th, 2023, 8:38 pm Crowd sounds MUCH LOUDER than against Stetson ( which sounded like a high school game on tv ).
Maybe LU should invest in whatever microphones ESPN uses for Sunday night baseball so it always sounds loud. Then again that may be a bad idea. We would then start complaining about it sounding like a mini explosion every time the ball hits the rim if we go down that road.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: January 28th, 2023, 8:28 pm These refs love the sound of their whistles. There's been almost a foul a minute so far.
That 1 reason I not go to a lot of games, that and TV timeouts.
By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: January 28th, 2023, 9:08 pm
tyndal23 wrote: January 28th, 2023, 8:38 pm Crowd sounds MUCH LOUDER than against Stetson ( which sounded like a high school game on tv ).
Maybe LU should invest in whatever microphones ESPN uses for Sunday night baseball so it always sounds loud. Then again that may be a bad idea. We would then start complaining about it sounding like a mini explosion every time the ball hits the rim if we go down that road.
TV can lie, if u or whoever were at both games - chime in - was it a stark difference in atmosphere ? I still think putting all the students in 1 big section together would dramatically increase the decibels and energy.
By GoLU_13_21
Incredibly loud game. First for me at the new Liberty arena but went to nearly every bball game from 2009-2013 in the Vines Center.

Never seen the atmosphere like I did tonight.

P.S. IMO having the students behind the goal posts for foul shot and shot distractions makes sense to me.

Absolutely love how intense it felt and glad to see it sold out (confirmed in person and ESPN)
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 28th, 2023, 8:08 pm I like FGCU uniforms
Same here. It's a color you just don't see on uniforms, and it really pops without being garish.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
GoLU_13_21 wrote: January 29th, 2023, 3:20 am Incredibly loud game. First for me at the new Liberty arena but went to nearly every bball game from 2009-2013 in the Vines Center.

Never seen the atmosphere like I did tonight.

P.S. IMO having the students behind the goal posts for foul shot and shot distractions makes sense to me.

Absolutely love how intense it felt and glad to see it sold out (confirmed in person and ESPN)
What you described is exactly why Ritchie was the primary advocate of downsizing when we built the new arena. The best thing about it is that it can be replicated over and over, especially in conference play.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Per York on the radio, Karl Hess has informed the team he will come to the mountain to congratulate Darius when he breaks his scoring record. Since he only needs 27 points and the next 2 games are at Austen Peay and Lipscomb, it looks like that will likely happen in Tennessee, which means we are talking about some sort of recognition ceremony at the Bellarmine game on 2/9. It would be great if he broke the record at home, but since that is unlikely, I'm hoping he goes off against Peay and gets it out of the way. I'm glad to hear Karl is willing to set aside his differences with the school and come. Wasn't sure he would.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: January 29th, 2023, 8:53 am Asterisk.
But I’m glad Karl is playing along.
It doesn't invalidate your point, but if we are going to start placing asterisks on records, maybe we could put one on Karl's to indicate that you can count the number of times he faced D1 opponents on one hand. Not a fan of either. The difference is that one is a special case made possible by a horrible decision by the NCAA, while the other is the natural result of a program moving up in level of play over a period of almost 50 years. Adding to the "apples and oranges" nature of the comparison is that Karl made hundreds of shots from what would now be 3 point range, but he only got 2.

Also happy that Karl will be involved with this. Not sure exactly what his beef has been with the school, but it's a good thing that he is willing to set it aside to recognize Darius' accomplishment.
By Ill flame
JK37 wrote: January 29th, 2023, 8:53 am Asterisk.
But I’m glad Karl is playing along.
Only if Karl Hess also gets an asterisk for playing against NCCAA competition.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: January 28th, 2023, 9:50 pmTV can lie, if u or whoever were at both games - chime in - was it a stark difference in atmosphere ? I still think putting all the students in 1 big section together would dramatically increase the decibels and energy.
Students behind the goals is a better distraction against the other team. There’s a joker that is a little… heavier… and he’s started taking his shirt off and shaking his weight in the face of foul shooters. I watched an FGCU guy at the line laugh in between foul shots and he missed his 2nd. Their coach was complaining about it to the ref. You don’t get that by piling them into one sideline. The noise level was great. Just need a few less legalists who think it’s a sin to be mean to opposing teams during the game and things will be great. We had one a couple sitting in front of us complaining about the snark coming from the students. I got louder bc of it.
By Ill flame
It's much easier to do in a 15k+ seat arena but I think my favorite setup is the way Illinois does it. They have their version of the jokers called the orange krush in the lower bowl behind the benches where the cameras are pointed for the first 20ish rows and it wraps behind both baskets so all you see on TV is students. All of the less dedicated students are hidden away in the upper deck and the season ticket/ club seats are either on the same side as the camera or are above the lower bowl so you can't see those seats on TV.

The only way we could make that work in our arena is to make the first 5 or so rows behind the team benches student seating in addition to the current setup which seems unlikely.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I was looking at Darius’ chances of breaking the all-time 3pt record and saw that some random kid currently playing for Detroit Mercy, whose only winning season while he’s been there was when they were 12-10 during the COVID year, is #1. He’s un-catchable, but I want to put an asterisk on him being an eternally green-lit chucker on a terrible team.

Darius should, however, be able to reach #2 by the end of the year. If averages hold, he would get there in the 2nd game of the ASUN tourney.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Karl should be officiating the next 3 games…just so he’s on hand Play Basketball :lol:
flamehunter liked this
By Ill flame
stokesjokes wrote: January 29th, 2023, 12:06 pm I was looking at Darius’ chances of breaking the all-time 3pt record and saw that some random kid currently playing for Detroit Mercy, whose only winning season while he’s been there was when they were 12-10 during the COVID year, is #1. He’s un-catchable, but I want to put an asterisk on him being an eternally green-lit chucker on a terrible team.

Darius should, however, be able to reach #2 by the end of the year. If averages hold, he would get there in the 2nd game of the ASUN tourney.
His dad is also the coach.
By Ill flame
This is completely off topic but I don't want to make a new thread. ESPN has been pushing news related to the New York Liberty of the WNBA as "top headlines" on their app lately. Out of curiosity I compared Liberty flames basketball to New York Liberty on Google trends to see which of the two people Google the most and its generally been our program over the last 5 years. I'm not sure why ESPN pushes the WNBA so much but i find it hilarious a school in the asun gets more interest than a pro team in NYC.

Of note, people googled "Liberty Basketball" 3x more in March of 2019 than at any time in New York Libertys history and 3x more than than the second most googled period in our programs history which was March of 2021. It just shows how important just making it to the ncaa tournament is for exposure, and how much more important it is to win a game. If we were to make a sweet 16 or better I can't imagine how much more that number would increase. For reference, St peters was googled almost 6x more last March than we were when we beat Mississippi state.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]