If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
University of Central Arkansas
Conway, Arkansas

UCA Hoops Official Site

Anthony Boone
3rd Season as UCA Head Coach

2022-2023 Schedule/Results

Nov 01 - Champion Christian .................... W, 115-79
Nov 07 - @ Wichita State ........................... L, 55-79
Nov 11 - Hendrix College ........................... W, 107-56
Nov 14 - Little Rock .................................... W, 82-71
Nov 18 - vs. Niagara in Dublin, Ireland ........ L, 64-73
Nov 19 - vs. Rider in Dublin, Ireland ........... W, 90-85
Nov 26 - Northwestern State ...................... L, 66-74
Nov 27 - Idaho State ..................................W, 81-77
Nov 30 - @ Loyola Chicago ......................... L, 70-85
Dec 06 - Arkansas State ............................. W, 72-67
Dec 10 - @ Oral Roberts ............................. L, 78-111
Dec 17 - @ Oklahoma ................................ L, 66-87
Dec 20 - @ Little Rock ................................ L, 66-75
Dec 28 - @ TCU ........................................... L, 57-103
Dec 31 - @ Kennesaw State ........................ L, 66-82
Jan 02 - FGCU ............................................. L, 79-84
Jan 05 - Eastern Kentucky .......................... L, 75-77
Jan 07 - @ Austin Peay ............................... L, 62-86
Jan 12 - @ Queens ..................................... W, 92-91
Jan 14 - @ Liberty ...................................... 7:00 PM ET
Jan 18 - North Alabama
Jan 21 - @ North Alabama
Jan 26 - North Florida
Jan 28 - Jacksonville
Feb 02 - @ FGCU
Feb 04 - @ Stetson
Feb 09 - Lipscomb
Feb 11 - Austin Peay
Feb 16 - @ Eastern Kentucky
Feb 19 - @ Bellarmine
Feb 22 - Jacksonville State
Feb 24 - Kennesaw State

Key Player

#23 Camren Hunter
6' 3" Sophomore Guard
Thru 17 Games: Averaging 16.4 Pts, 5.0 Rebs & 1.4 Assists + 27-of-95 (28.4%) on 3-Pt Attempts
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: January 14th, 2023, 6:54 pm Central Arkansas is clearly a draw
Sold my tickets on stubhub in like 20 minutes. Probably should have asked for more. Ha
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 14th, 2023, 7:15 pm I should have scalped my ticket.
They give you a handy link to StubHub to do just that. Paid for my WBB season tickets and then some
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 14th, 2023, 7:23 pm
They give you a handy link to StubHub to do just that. Paid for my WBB season tickets and then some
I tried that . Could not find my ticket on Internet. Digital tickets _______ .
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 14th, 2023, 8:36 pm
Purple Haize wrote: January 14th, 2023, 7:23 pm
I tried that . Could not find my ticket on Internet. Digital tickets _______ .
Talk to your boy @Cider Jim he knows how to do it
ballcoach15 liked this
By LUOrange
IMO, that was the best home game since USM, thanks to UCA's Crissypoo (#22). It was nice to have a villain on the other team that got the crowd worked up. If that kid had fouled out the Lil'Arena would've erupted. I guess the ASUN's Liberty strategy is to hack the crap out of us. But it's still good to see all/most of the boys stepping up offensively.

Any of y'all know why Warfield is scared to shoot the ball lately and why Cleveland didn't get in the game?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: January 14th, 2023, 11:36 pm IMO, that was the best home game since USM, thanks to UCA's Crissypoo (#22). It was nice to have a villain on the other team that got the crowd worked up. If that kid had fouled out the Lil'Arena would've erupted. I guess the ASUN's Liberty strategy is to hack the crap out of us. But it's still good to see all/most of the boys stepping up offensively.

Any of y'all know why Warfield is scared to shoot the ball lately and why Cleveland didn't get in the game?
I think it's pretty safe to say that Richie was just resting Zach to facilitate his full recovery from his illness. Isaiah is the ultimate team player. He doesn't care if he scores or not, but if he is passing up really good looks, I'm sure Ritchie will encourage him to take them.

I know there are some here who discount the +/- stat, but I found it strange that on a career offensive night, in a game we won by 20, Porter's was -2 in 26 minutes :shock:
By Ill flame
LUOrange wrote: January 14th, 2023, 11:36 pm IMO, that was the best home game since USM, thanks to UCA's Crissypoo (#22). It was nice to have a villain on the other team that got the crowd worked up. If that kid had fouled out the Lil'Arena would've erupted. I guess the ASUN's Liberty strategy is to hack the crap out of us. But it's still good to see all/most of the boys stepping up offensively.

I've been noticing this more lately. I guess the theory is that the refs can't call everything so might as well foul every possession. So far it seems like a decent strategy against us.

It didn't take long in the first half to figure out kirsipuu is a hot head so im not suprised he went out of his way to shoulder tackle one of our guys. I was a little suprised the refs called it a common foul though. At least it kept the blowout entertaining.
LUOrange liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I mentioned that a game or two ago. I wonder if it’s a coach’s edict or he’s just that unsure of his shot at any range
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: January 15th, 2023, 8:57 am

I think it's pretty safe to say that Richie was just resting Zach to facilitate his full recovery from his illness. Isaiah is the ultimate team player. He doesn't care if he scores or not, but if he is passing up really good looks, I'm sure Ritchie will encourage him to take them.

I know there are some here who discount the +/- stat, but I found it strange that on a career offensive night, in a game we won by 20, Porter's was -2 in 26 minutes :shock:
I’m not surprised. Defense.
By LUOrange
I didn't know Cleveland was sick. One of the things that would irritate me the most about our Boys the last couple of years, was the unwillingness to shoot the ball by anyone not named Darius McGhee. That has mostly gone away, and it shows in their better play. Unfortunately, Warfield has been the lone exception the last few games. The Kid can play, so hopefully he gets over his hesitancy on offense soon.
By Liberty_2023
I was intrigued by HCRM's comments about developing a home court advantage after the UCA win. Decided to research home wins (regular season only ) during his 2nd stint based on wikipedia & quick counting.

Vines Center
15-16: 10-4
16-17: 12-5
17-18: 11-7
18-19: 14-1
19-20: 14-0

Liberty Arena
20-21: 13-0
21-22: 12-2
22-23: 11-1/TBD
LUOrange, Baybird liked this
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Cleveland showed up to warm-ups late. Not sure what that was about, but he did do some work on the court prior to sitting. Kissybooboo was a total hothead. For some reason he was jawing at Warfield, who seems by all accounts to be cool/calm/collected. The next inbound was when the flagrant foul that wasn't called despite a review showing it was a flagrant foul happened. Never seen anything like that before, but definitely awoke a sleeping giant in the crowd and more importantly Darius McGhee.

Porter continues to improve offensively. Kid has a high basketball IQ, and his shot is looking good. One worry spot for me has been Peebles. After a hot start to the year, he's quieted down a bit the past few games. He hasn't had as many looks and the ones he takes look a little shaky. Hopefully, he can get back on track and help to continue to stretch defenses.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
That wasn’t a flagrant foul.
Buut it did wake LU up ost certainly
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:That wasn’t a flagrant foul.
I disagree on this one. I tried to find the highlights of the game to review it once more, but haven't been able to yet. Kissyboo had been called for a foul on the offensive end that he didn't like. Prior to the next Flames possession, he was talking smack to Warfield all the way down the court, to the point that the ref stepped in between them because Kissyboo was stalking him. When we scored, Kissyboo got the inbound and ran down the floor and beelined straight into Warfield. From the sideview you couldn't see it, but on the replay which was shown as a close-up from under the Flames basket, he changed direction to purposefully make contact and he threw an elbow into Warfield. It was clearly intentional and done out of frustration/anger and not out of an attempt to make a basketball play. I suppose you could call it an intentional foul instead of a flagrant, but it was more than a common foul imo, and judging by HCRM and co's reaction, they thought so too.
By Ill flame
A flagrant 1 foul is a result of excessive contact that in nature is categorized as unnecessary or avoidable.

The NCAA rules committee describes a flagrant 2 as “brutal, harsh or cruel or dangerous or punishing.”

It was definitely not a flagrant 2 but by definition a flagrant 1 seems to describe that foul pretty well.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote: January 16th, 2023, 12:14 pm
I disagree on this one. I tried to find the highlights of the game to review it once more, but haven't been able to yet. Kissyboo had been called for a foul on the offensive end that he didn't like. Prior to the next Flames possession, he was talking smack to Warfield all the way down the court, to the point that the ref stepped in between them because Kissyboo was stalking him. When we scored, Kissyboo got the inbound and ran down the floor and beelined straight into Warfield. From the sideview you couldn't see it, but on the replay which was shown as a close-up from under the Flames basket, he changed direction to purposefully make contact and he threw an elbow into Warfield. It was clearly intentional and done out of frustration/anger and not out of an attempt to make a basketball play. I suppose you could call it an intentional foul instead of a flagrant, but it was more than a common foul imo, and judging by HCRM and co's reaction, they thought so too.
Watched the game
Saw the play. Your description is…..creative
Agreed with the officials.
Offensive foul sure. Nothing more than that.
Chippy liked this
By lueer
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 16th, 2023, 2:18 pm
Humble_Opinion wrote: January 16th, 2023, 12:14 pm
Watched the game
Saw the play. Your description is…..creative
Agreed with the officials.
Offensive foul sure. Nothing more than that.
I thought it was pretty clearly more than a common offensive foul.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
It was obviously intentional. I don't think it falls into the excessive contact category as what I saw on the replays was him lowering his shoulder into Warfield, no elbow thrown. You see that kind of foul routinely in any game. I think the refs could have gone either way with the call but chose to leave it as a common foul, would love to have heard their reasoning. I would have been ok with that if it was one of our guys who committed it so I guess I have to be ok with it against us.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:It was obviously intentional. I don't think it falls into the excessive contact category as what I saw on the replays was him lowering his shoulder into Warfield, no elbow thrown. You see that kind of foul routinely in any game. I think the refs could have gone either way with the call but chose to leave it as a common foul, would love to have heard their reasoning. I would have been ok with that if it was one of our guys who committed it so I guess I have to be ok with it against us.
As a one-off play, I could see it as a common foul. The problem is he had 3 hard fouls he committed against us, one of which had just been called on the previous possession. Then he's going after one of our players talking smack at him, receives the inbound and immediately bee-lines towards him to purposefully make contact? I really wish I could find the replay, but he does more than throw his shoulder into Warfield. The shoulder hits first, but he finishes off with a shove and extends his elbow. Warfield went flying and he hit the ground hard and slid 6 ft on his bottom. Not sure how you don't think that is excessive?
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]