If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Jacksonville State University
Jacksonville, Alabama

JSU Hoops Official Site

Ray Harper
7th Season as JSU Head Coach

2022-2023 Schedule/Results

Nov 03 - Auburn-Montgomery (Exhibition) ..................... W 101-93
Nov 07 - Shorter ................................................................ W 111-48
Nov 14 - @ UIC ................................................................... L 60-67
Nov 18 - @ Alabama .......................................................... L 62-104
Nov 22 - Elon ..................................................................... W 78-53

Lobo Classic in Albuquerque
Nov 25 - @ New Mexico ...................................................... L 61-79
Nov 26 - vs. Northern Colorado .......................................... L 82-86
Nov 27 - vs. North Dakota State .......................................... W 81-71

Dec 03 - @ East Tennessee State ........................................ W 63-61
Dec 08 - @ Utah ................................................................. L 58-99
Dec 14 - Reinhardt ............................................................. W 97-63
Dec 17 - Little Rock ............................................................ W 72-62
Dec 21 - @ South Alabama ................................................. L 66-71
Dec 27 - Georgia Southwestern ......................................... W 78-73
Dec 30 - North Alabama ...................................................... L 62-66
Jan 02 - @ Jacksonville ....................................................... L 46-62
Jan 05 - @ Liberty ................................................................ 7PM ET
Jan 07 - Bellarmine
Jan 12 - North Florida
Jan 14 - Jacksonville
Jan 19 - @ FGCU
Jan 21 - @ Stetson
Jan 26 - Lipscomb
Jan 28 - Austin Peay
Feb 02 - @ Eastern Kentucky
Feb 04 - @ Bellarmine
Feb 09 - Kennesaw State
Feb 11 - @ Kennesaw State
Feb 16 - Queens
Feb 18 - Liberty
Feb 22 - @ Central Arkansas
Feb 24 - @ North Alabama

Key Players

#1 Demaree King
6' 0" 180 lbs Senior Point Guard
Thru 15 Games: Averaging 15.5 Pts, 2.0 Rebs & 2.9 Assists + 46-of-103 (44.7%) on 3-Pt Attempts + 49.1 FG% + 88.2 FT%

#5 Skyelar Potter
6' 3" 198 lbs Senior Guard
Thru 15 Games: Averaging 14.7 Pts, 4.8 Rebs & 1.3 Assists + 41-of-100 (41%) on 3-Pt Attempts
By Ill flame
In the halftime interview:
Emily Austin- "You say all the time this defense gets better the longer you stay in the pack line"

Ritchie McKay- "I say it a lot but I don't say that all the time"

EA- "You say it every press conference"

RM (with a far off stare)- ".... that isn't all the time"

Those two crack me up.
Just John, flamehunter liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: January 5th, 2023, 8:57 pm In the halftime interview:
Emily Austin- "You say all the time this defense gets better the longer you stay in the pack line"

Ritchie McKay- "I say it a lot but I don't say that all the time"

EA- "You say it every press conference"

RM (with a far off stare)- ".... that isn't all the time"

Those two crack me up.
He seemed kind of annoyed
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
He does comes across as annoyed with her heading to the lockers lately. Honestly the inane questions are annoying to viewers as well.

Nice win for our guys. That 13-point defensive performance was ridiculous. Glad to see our guys blasting the teams we should be blasting. More challenging games ahead.
By Ill flame
We keep playing like this and we might be able to steal an at large bid if we get upset in the conference tournament again. It would be nice to play our way into a 12 seed or better.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote:We keep playing like this and we might be able to steal an at large bid if we get upset in the conference tournament again. It would be nice to play our way into a 12 seed or better.
I think we'd have to go undefeated the rest of the year and lose in the tournament to have an outside chance for an at large.

Haven't exactly been playing powerhouse teams...
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Peebles though. He doesn't have a quick release or great athleticism but I'd take him for an open three over McGhee. Its surprising when his shots don't drop.

I just hope he gets a little faster as time passes. He could be very dangerous.
By Ill flame
Kricket wrote: January 5th, 2023, 11:40 pm
Ill flame wrote:We keep playing like this and we might be able to steal an at large bid if we get upset in the conference tournament again. It would be nice to play our way into a 12 seed or better.
I think we'd have to go undefeated the rest of the year and lose in the tournament to have an outside chance for an at large.

Haven't exactly been playing powerhouse teams...
Unfortunately I'm well aware. We may get away with one more loss in the regular season if it's to FGCU and they also keep winning (other than their loss today). Our wiggle room is essentially gone but the committee loves the advanced stats and we are quickly moving up into bubble territory in ratings like kenpom. We have to keep blowing teams out though.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 5th, 2023, 9:00 pm He seemed kind of annoyed
stokesjokes wrote:I was wondering if it was just me. Ritchie has seemed terse with her lately.
Sly Fox wrote:He does comes across as annoyed with her heading to the lockers lately. Honestly the inane questions are annoying to viewers as well.
Not annoyed at all. That's how he carries on with all the media people. It's his dry, sarcastic humor and he likes picking on them. Why in the world would a coach be annoyed about anything after a first half like that - up 38-13?
He was like that with Alan York in the post-game as well. And Damien.
LUOrange liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote: January 6th, 2023, 7:34 am
stokesjokes wrote:I was wondering if it was just me. Ritchie has seemed terse with her lately.
Sly Fox wrote:He does comes across as annoyed with her heading to the lockers lately. Honestly the inane questions are annoying to viewers as well.
Not annoyed at all. That's how he carries on with all the media people. It's his dry, sarcastic humor and he likes picking on them. Why in the world would a coach be annoyed about anything after a first half like that - up 38-13?
I understand that’s his style of humor. I enjoy it. But this time just seemed different
stokesjokes liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: January 5th, 2023, 11:42 pm Peebles though. He doesn't have a quick release or great athleticism but I'd take him for an open three over McGhee. Its surprising when his shots don't drop.

Pebbles has made his release quick He has become very fundamentally sound in his shot. You always hear coaches talk about ‘catching the ball ready to shoot’ and that is exactly what he does. The last few games he’s done an excellent job of getting his feet squared and his body in the shooting motion even before he catches the ball basically. When he shoots he has very little If any wasted movement. He doesn’t need to align his feet or bring the ball to a different launch point. He doesn’t jump very high so that lets him get the shot off even quicker. I don’t know how much quicker he can shoot it but you can tell he has put in the work to maximize his strength
Cider Jim liked this
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote: January 6th, 2023, 7:34 am
I thought the same thing. I think it was the Bellermine game he literally walked away from her mid question.

I like dry humor but it comes across as he’s sick of her Scheiße
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 6th, 2023, 8:36 pm
Kricket wrote: January 5th, 2023, 11:42 pm Peebles though. He doesn't have a quick release or great athleticism but I'd take him for an open three over McGhee. Its surprising when his shots don't drop.

Pebbles has made his release quick He has become very fundamentally sound in his shot. You always hear coaches talk about ‘catching the ball ready to shoot’ and that is exactly what he does. The last few games he’s done an excellent job of getting his feet squared and his body in the shooting motion even before he catches the ball basically. When he shoots he has very little If any wasted movement. He doesn’t need to align his feet or bring the ball to a different launch point. He doesn’t jump very high so that lets him get the shot off even quicker. I don’t know how much quicker he can shoot it but you can tell he has put in the work to maximize his strength
He doesn't jump at all. It's more like an old fashion set shot similar to Kyle Rode.
Baybird liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Oh he jumps. But when compared to Darius you are close ha.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]