If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Oral Roberts University
Tulsa, Oklahoma

ORU Hoops Official Site

Mabee Center
Opened in 1972 - Seats 8781

Paul Mills
6th Season as ORU Head Coach

2022-2023 Schedule/Results

Nov 07 - @ Saint Mary's .................................. L, 70-78
Nov 11 - John Brown ...................................... W, 95-62
Nov 14 - @ #3 Houston .................................... L, 45-83
Nov 15 - @ Texas Southern ............................. W, 82-64
Nov 19 - Oklahoma Baptist ............................. W, 98-86
Nov 22 - @ Utah State ..................................... L, 85-95
Nov 27 - Rogers State ..................................... W, 81-70
Nov 29 - Ozark Christian .................................. W, 116-68
Dec 03 - @ Tulsa .............................................. W, 77-66
Dec 10 - Central Arkansas ................................
Dec 12 - Liberty

Top Player

#3 Max Abmas
6' 0" 175 lbs Senior Guard
Thru 8 Games: Averaging 17.4 Pts, 6.3 Rebs & 3.7 Assists + 26-of-76 (30.3%) on 3-Pt Attempts
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
HaHa You can also enter your prayer tower jokes here as well.

For those unfamiliar, Mills started off coaching Christian schools here in Houston before getting hired by Willis Wilson at Rice. He then went on to join Scott Drew's staff at Baylor. While there, he picked up a Masters of Biblical & Theological Studies at Dallas Theological Seminary. So this should come as no surprise:
ORU News Release wrote:ORU Athletics Hosts Faith & Basketball Event

12/2/2022 2:13:00 PM

TULSA, Okla. – The ORU Athletic Department will host Faith and Basketball presented by Equity Bank Monday, December 12 at 8:30 a.m. inside the Global Learning Center on the campus of Oral Roberts University.

The event will feature ORU men's basketball Head Coach Paul Mills and Liberty Head Coach Ritchie McKay as they talk about their coaching careers and their Faith in Christ. The event is free to attend and a continental breakfast is included.
Click Here for Full Release

I expect a full report on the event from SumItUp.
Cider Jim, ballcoach15, SumItUp and 1 others liked this
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Time to lay the smackdown on the prosperity gospel basketball team. Take a page out of the book of the real Saint Nicolaus when he smacked Arius in the face at the Council of Nicea due to Arius's blasphemous words against Christ.
By jmclaughlin
Anyone planning to show up in the Mabee Center? My crew will be making the trek to Tulsa on Monday!
SumItUp liked this
By Tnobes
I'll just be enjoying this one greatly, don't care who wins. I loved oral Roberts run in the tournament, super fun watching them knock off people and reaching the sweet sixteen, they would've been able to make a nice in the tournament again had obanor not transfered to Texas tech. Love max abmas as much as Darius, weaver and mcBride are pretty good too. This will be a good game. I hope both teams make the tournament this year
LUOrange liked this
By Golden Eagle
Registration Days
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:Time to lay the smackdown on the prosperity gospel basketball team. Take a page out of the book of the real Saint Nicolaus when he smacked Arius in the face at the Council of Nicea due to Arius's blasphemous words against Christ.
:lol:

The match up between Max and Darius should be one of the better potential games between scorers at this level.

I wish this series was continuing past this single game. Big fan of Coach McKay! It will be interesting to see how Liberty's packline and ORU's 3-point happy offense shake out. ORU hasn't been shooting it all that great so far this season...

Hopefully both teams can do well in the ASUN and Summit and make some noise again in the tournament.

The game will be streamed live (https://oruathletics.com/watch/) or on the ORU Roku app.
flamehunter, Baybird, LUOrange and 2 others liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
You'll note that Jason Eaker's NAIA squad put a scare into them last month before losing by a dozen. This should be a fun one on multiple levels.
By LUOrange
Golden Eagle wrote: December 9th, 2022, 11:43 am
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:Time to lay the smackdown on the prosperity gospel basketball team. Take a page out of the book of the real Saint Nicolaus when he smacked Arius in the face at the Council of Nicea due to Arius's blasphemous words against Christ.

The match up between Max and Darius should be one of the better potential games between scorers at this level.

I wish this series was continuing past this single game. Big fan of Coach McKay! It will be interesting to see how Liberty's packline and ORU's 3-point happy offense shake out. ORU hasn't been shooting it all that great so far this season...

Hopefully both teams can do well in the ASUN and Summit and make some noise again in the tournament.

The game will be streamed live (https://oruathletics.com/watch/) or on the ORU Roku app.
I think this was a 1 for 1, so I believe we'll host them next year. I believe McKay stated that on last week's Liberty Basketball Show on the Liberty Flames Podcast Channel. It'd be nice if we played them annually, especially if we're both having non-con scheduling issues. Playing our D1 Christian school counterparts seems like a no-brainer to me.
Baybird, Tnobes liked this
By Tnobes

I really enjoyed watching oral Roberts in the tournament with max and obanor, they were really fun, I'm glad for their success and hope you can do it again soon
Golden Eagle liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: December 9th, 2022, 8:03 pm

I think this was a 1 for 1, so I believe we'll host them next year. I believe McKay stated that on last week's Liberty Basketball Show on the Liberty Flames Podcast Channel. It'd be nice if we played them annually, especially if we're both having non-con scheduling issues. Playing our D1 Christian school counterparts seems like a no-brainer to me.
I'd take that a step further and say why not home and home every year? It's been working out great for Lipscomb and Belmont.
LUOrange liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Geography
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I'd love for us to being regularly playing the other Division I like-minded schools. These schools seem like no brainers:

Abilene Christian
Baylor
Belmont
Cal Baptist
Campbell
Chuck South
Grand Canyon
Houston Christian (formerly HBU)
ORU
Pepperdine
Samford
Valpo

But that's just an Old Hag talking.
Just John, LUOrange liked this
By Golden Eagle
Registration Days
Sly Fox wrote: December 11th, 2022, 10:54 am I'd love for us to being regularly playing the other Division I like-minded schools. These schools seem like no brainers:

Abilene Christian
Baylor
Belmont
Cal Baptist
Campbell
Chuck South
Grand Canyon
ORU
Pepperdine
Samford
Valpo

An annual MTE including these teams would make sense. ORU, Liberty, BYU, & Seton Hall all played in a holiday tournament in Provo (Dec 28-30, 2006).
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I agree with that whole list, except Baylor. But I know full-well that sly fox didn’t put that there for anybody but himself. :lol:
By LUOrange
Sly Fox wrote: December 11th, 2022, 10:54 am I'd love for us to being regularly playing the other Division I like-minded schools. These schools seem like no brainers:

Abilene Christian
Baylor
Belmont
Cal Baptist
Campbell
Chuck South
Grand Canyon
ORU
Pepperdine
Samford
Valpo

One would think with the purported non-con scheduling difficulties most mid-majors are having, that these Christian schools could do some sort of scheduling alliance of sorts, even if the Big like Baylor and BYU didn't participate.

Also don't forget Gardner Webb. It's a wonder that GW, Campbell, and Chuck South haven't appeared on our schedules either.
AATL liked this
By AATL
Fast-paced game. I'll take the four point lead considering the turnover margin. It will be nice to be able to match up with size in the paint next year, but defense around the rim has been holding their own.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
The referees must have been paid off by Joel Osteen. The way the officials are calling this game it significantly minimizes the effect of the pack-line D. ORU is doing a good job of defending Darius.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]