If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Liberty_2023
The free throw difference is ridiculous. Alabama is allowed to be more physical. We will be fine the rest of the year.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
We are embarrassing ourselves, unfortunately.
lueer liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Alabama ain’t just a football school anymore, boys. I forgot Quinnerly isn’t even out there yet. This is a Top 10 team.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I’m shocked at how poor the defensive effort is tonight. The guys played with a lot of energy but not a lot of focus
jmclaughlin liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Pack Line isn’t supposed to give up this many dribble-drives. And our help side is nonexistent. So I can’t tell if this is something we’re doing wrong on the ball, or if UA is just. That. Quick. But boy does our off-ball D looked shell-shocked.
jmclaughlin liked this
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
We will turn things around when we get the 24 recruits in that we beat NAIA schools for hah

Yeah the Defense has been non existent. May be time to scrap the pack with soucie gone. It honestly doesnt even look like it tonight anyway.

I do think theres a chance bama is a top 10 team but this is a trouncing In all facets.
By LUDad
That was a beatdown...
Last edited by LUDad on November 11th, 2022, 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Hoops
Darius should have left last season! His stock dropped after this game. Whoever talked hime into staying another year should be fired! Lol
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
We need a lot better recruiting moving forward. I am concerned that we have peaked for the short term.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Disappointing that we didn't show up this game but I bet Henry made sure they knew all our player's tendencies. Disappointing effort. Hopefully Ritchie will have them ready for the next one.
By AATL
It didn't matter who we put on Sears at the top of the key, he had them beat with one step and was getting to the rim at will. The speed of the game at this level is going to be a wake up call for some of the young guys. Fortunately, this is game two; there's plenty of time before conference play to make that adjustment.
JK37 liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
ALAFlamesFan wrote: November 11th, 2022, 11:25 pm We need a lot better recruiting moving forward. I am concerned that we have peaked for the short term.
We peaked talent-wise in 19-20. It’s a shame that team didn’t get to play in the tourney. Seems like we’ve had more misses than hits as far as recruits turning out since then. Maybe it’s bad luck on some of them, but some of the guys we’ve signed in that span clearly had no business on a D-1 team.

I’m also salty about being blown out, I’m sure I’d see it differently if we played Regent again.
By jmclaughlin
So much over reaction to this one. We got out classed tonight but this LU team will go down as one of the best teams we have ever fielded. ‘Bama just put it together in this one. They Seemed to get all the hustle points, shot well above their ability and were incredible on D. Once it got 15+ in 2nd half, we lost focus on both ends. McGhee looked sloppy as if this has was an NBA tryout. Our Bigs played soft too.

One positive: Porter is a difference maker on O. His ball handling and court vision is incredible. Should take all the pressure off DM. However, he will need help with his back to the bucket. The Pack Line suits him well with all the switching. He may go down as the all time assist and steal leader if he can stay healthy for 4 years. Dude has the it factor.

Let’s take a deep breath. This team is going to be fun to watch this year!
Liberty_2023 liked this
By jmclaughlin
Hoops wrote: November 11th, 2022, 11:17 pm Darius should have left last season! His stock dropped after this game. Whoever talked hime into staying another year should be fired! Lol
To go where? Play in China, Brazil, Germany? It’s game #2. A lot of Hoops left to play.
Ill flame, Hoops, flamehunter and 1 others liked this
By Ill flame
stokesjokes wrote: November 11th, 2022, 11:45 pm
ALAFlamesFan wrote: November 11th, 2022, 11:25 pm We need a lot better recruiting moving forward. I am concerned that we have peaked for the short term.
We peaked talent-wise in 19-20. It’s a shame that team didn’t get to play in the tourney. Seems like we’ve had more misses than hits as far as recruits turning out since then. Maybe it’s bad luck on some of them, but some of the guys we’ve signed in that span clearly had no business on a D-1 team.

I’m also salty about being blown out, I’m sure I’d see it differently if we played Regent again.
I've had the same thought but didnt want to say anything. Its a weird thing to bring up when you're averaging 20+ wins a year with our historical lack of success. I just hope this is a short term dip and recruiting will improve with the increase of competition/ tv exposure in C-USA.
By Hoops
jmclaughlin wrote: November 12th, 2022, 1:33 am
Hoops wrote: November 11th, 2022, 11:17 pm Darius should have left last season! His stock dropped after this game. Whoever talked hime into staying another year should be fired! Lol
To go where? Play in China, Brazil, Germany? It’s game #2. A lot of Hoops left to play.
Absolutely ! He had a chance to make big $$$ overseas. He risk coming back and having showings like this and now if these type of mediocre performances continues he will play overseas but as a top tier player and not an elite player. Big Difference in pay! JMO
By Tothehoopyall1
Wow! We got our butts kicked by Alabama. BTW have you seen what's going on with the other ASUN teams? FGCU has already beaten USC I believe at USC. Stetson just beat Florida State and Bellarmine just beat Louisville.

We keep playing this crappy and we'll finish third in the ASUN. We already seem to have the whole guard fiasco from last year going on. I like Porter but we need the ball in Darius hands at the same time. let me say this again... I like Porter but we need the ball in Darius hands at the same time. I'm not sure how this will get worked out.

And then there's Blake Preston. let's try to take 9 dribbles in the paint before making a move. I was hoping he would figure out by his Sr. year that this only works against Regent but i guess not.

Kyle Rhode- He has got to step it up out there. he had no hustle at all/looked intimidated.

I'm hopeful this game lights a fire. I would rather be awful now than later. Let's GO!!!!!
Purple Haize liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Tothehoopyall1 wrote: November 13th, 2022, 2:11 pm
And then there's Blake Preston. let's try to take 9 dribbles in the paint before making a move. I was hoping he would figure out by his Sr. year that this only works against Regent but i guess not.

I'm hopeful this game lights a fire. I would rather be awful now than later. Let's GO!!!!!
I resonate with both of these. Preston is just too slow about everything. Really highlights how athletic Scottie James was. Preston will be fine against low and mid-majors, but these kinds of games are not good for him. He needs to watch some Kevon Looney tape or other similarly un-athletic bigs who make it work.

On the second point, we may not have as complete a team as previous iterations (I’m hesitant to say we have less talent, it’s just all concentrated, other than McGhee, in a bunch of wing-type players), but we still have a great coach. I trust him to have us ready when we need to be. He’s going to spend some time figuring this team out, and by the time conference play rolls around, he’s gonna tighten everything up. I don’t have any reason to think he won’t.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
The old guys don't see it, but it's true. Scottie James was the best post we ever had. And there really wasn't a close second. We got spoiled a little w/that team. CH was a power guard btw.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: November 13th, 2022, 3:54 pm The old guys don't see it, but it's true. Scottie James was the best post we ever had. And there really wasn't a close second. We got spoiled a little w/that team. CH was a power guard btw.
Not even close. Aluma and Neuoso (sp), were light years ahead of Scottie. George Sweet, who was on the team in 72-76, was also much, much better. Yes, we are playing better competition now, but they were all better, even taking that into consideration. All 3 would be starting on today's team.
flamehunter liked this
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]