If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Liberty_2023
I think we have more talent than most mid majors. Scottie, Caleb, & Georgie were not highly touted prospects and McKay developed them. We continue to get better baseline talent each year. Biggest complaint you could probably make is a lack of size.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I’d go with Scottie is the best that Ritchie has had here.

Aluma and Nwosu are the two best we’ve ever had.

Two different coaches, two different era’s, looking for two very different types of post player. Both very challenging to find a good one. Meyer went to Africa for his. Ritchie has traded handles and passing for btb finishing ability in hopes of finding a well-rounded face-5. The skill that’s missing is the shot.

And remember, Scottie sort of fell into Ritchie’s lap. The Lord works like that sometimes!
SumItUp, flamehunter liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: November 13th, 2022, 6:13 pm I’d go with Scottie is the best that Ritchie has had here.

Aluma and Nwosu are the two best we’ve ever had.

Two different coaches, two different era’s, looking for two very different types of post player. Both very challenging to find a good one. Meyer went to Africa for his. Ritchie has traded handles and passing for btb finishing ability in hopes of finding a well-rounded face-5. The skill that’s missing is the shot.

And remember, Scottie sort of fell into Ritchie’s lap. The Lord works like that sometimes!
My critique last year was the team needed a Big to be able to hit the pick and fade or get an easy bucket with their back to the basket. That’s something (based on 1.5 games) that is still missing. If they can find a big that can knock down the 3 that opens everything up.
Defensively they need a rim protector. That’s when the pack line is super nasty. They don’t have one of those yet either
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Yeah. Right now, the 5 doesn’t score. At best it continues the offense and rebounds at the end of the defense. The ceiling now seems something like six points, six rebounds and zero turnovers. That’s a very good night for Preston. He ain’t a double-double guy. Not with any consistency. So that means points have to be generated elsewhere.

Given what coaches want OFFENSIVELY, having a rim-protector has become less and less likely. Lost art?

Remember when Beilein had Pittsnogle? He also had D’Or Fischer. All that in ONE player would’ve been a lottery pick!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: November 13th, 2022, 6:34 pm Yeah. Right now, the 5 doesn’t score. At best it continues the offense and rebounds at the end of the defense. The ceiling now seems something like six points, six rebounds and zero turnovers. That’s a very good night for Preston. He ain’t a double-double guy. Not with any consistency. So that means points have to be generated elsewhere.

Given what coaches want OFFENSIVELY, having a rim-protector has become less and less likely. Lost art?

Remember when Beilein had Pittsnogle? He also had D’Or Fischer. All that in ONE player would’ve been a lottery pick!
For the D RMK wants to play the athletic player who can protect the rim is the difference maker. Look at UVA when they’ve been their best. They’ve had that
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Raw-talent-wise McClean and Orange Julius stand out. Both overcame a lot. But, in my estimation, Scottie was the most skilled & dependable. Savvy dependable guy w/solid work ethic.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: November 13th, 2022, 8:24 pm Alex McLean really should be a part of this discussion
Alex's game at VMI was the most dominant performance that I had ever seen in an LU uniform! Did he score 40 points that game? :shock:
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Am I totally misremembering? Was Alex a 5?

@Purple Haize Yes for RMK’s defense. But how many bona fide rim protectors carry the offensive skillset he’s looking for as well?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: November 13th, 2022, 11:30 pm Am I totally misremembering? Was Alex a 5?
Most of McKay's big men were listed as a 4. Alex was 6'8." In that VMI game, Alex also had 19 rebounds. :shock:

https://www.liberty.edu/flames/player/alex-mclean/
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
They need to work a little harder in the paint if they wanna get it done. When you're overmatched, you don't try to match them, you deceive them, out-smart them. Guys know, but didn't do.
ballcoach15 liked this
By AATL
Alabama takes down #1 UNC less than a week after taking down #12 MSU and not long after hanging 102 on Jax. St.. maybe this loss isn't quite as horrific as it first appeared.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
It wasn’t horrific when it happened. Alabama is really good.

UNC wasn’t going to be #1 at the end of the week anyway. Purdue, Arizona, Creighton and Arkansas have all looked really good this week.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: November 28th, 2022, 12:59 am It wasn’t horrific when it happened. Alabama is really good.

UNC wasn’t going to be #1 at the end of the week anyway. Purdue, Arizona, Creighton and Arkansas have all looked really good this week.
Purdue made some big statements this weekend! They are the best team in the Country right now.

And will still find a way to lose in the Elite 8
Ill flame liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I can go along with that. I don’t think they look at good as Purdue. But you’re not wrong they look very good.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I guess you guys haven't had your eyes upon Texas. Not only did they smoke the Zags this week but took down the previously referenced Razorbacks by 30 a couple of weeks agao. Yeah, I know. Texas is football country. Never mind.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: November 28th, 2022, 7:42 am Spoken like a true IU fan. Indiana gets its shot at UNC this week
Hey. IU is still rebuilding but man I love the direction they are going. But the fact Purdue has gotten like 4 of the last 5 or so of the last Indiana Mr Basketball grates me. Almost as much as there aren’t a bevy of knock down shooters on the roster. Never thought I’d see IU teams who’s weakness is shooting
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I remember my 8th grade P.E. teacher saying that "basketball is just something to do between football and baseball season"
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I don't know if it's changed since I went but th[…]

G5 Playoff Only

We DO NOT want this. This is Division 1AA all ove[…]

Some statistics

Our team ERA currently sits at #78 nationally. Our[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Agree. I’ll add to that- I think we’[…]