If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Another player that most people who post on here will hate. But so will the competition. Defies cookie-cutter perceptions. And yet, gets the job done. Fits in well. Former teammate of Decker.
LUOrange liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ECC29 wrote: March 26th, 2024, 11:48 pm Please, this is another version of Kyle Rodes but not as strong. He may look good in a high school level but D1 competition, not so sure.
Note: That video is highlights of his Sophomore year of HS, which means he was 15 or 16 years old.

I am constantly amazed by the Kyle Rode hate. The fact that you didn't even spell his name correctly is probably a pretty good sign of your level of knowledge about his basketball ability.

I'd like to see some more recent video of Will. I don't know how well his skills will translate to D1 basketball either, but the implication that "another version" of Kyle Rode is something we would not want is pretty funny to me.

Paradox nailed it by saying Gibson would be a target of the haters here. Too much focus on how high a player can jump. Do you want some of that on your team? Of course! But there are rosters full of leapers in the SWAC, and it's probably the worst basketball conference in D1.
Baybird, flamehunter, LUOrange and 2 others liked this
By ECC29
I’ve seen enough of KR to know his skills. He is has basketball skills but from what we have seen multiple times, it’s not good enough against athletic opponents. I thought the program wants to somewhat upgrade the skills of players, especially in the athleticism area. Players that are quicker, jump higher (play above the rim, not below), faster lateral movement. There are people here that are satisfied with mediocrity.
thesportscritic liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: March 27th, 2024, 7:22 am Do you want some of that on your team? Of course!
I think you nailed the source of the hate right here. Kyle is a great piece if you ask him to defend, swing the ball, and shoot threes. He's also been a great leader and I hear nothing but exemplary stuff about his character. We just don't have the athletes that fill the gaps in Kyle's game, so people get frustrated when he can't get an iso bucket or misses layups (the ball flies off his hand, it's like he doesn't use his fingers or something), but he shouldn't be asked to do those things.

Bring Will ("Crew" is his brother, FYI) in and fill out the roster better and he could be a valuable piece for us.
By LUOrange
paradox wrote: March 26th, 2024, 7:03 pm Another player that most people who post on here will hate. But so will the competition. Defies cookie-cutter perceptions. And yet, gets the job done. Fits in well. Former teammate of Decker.
I don't criticize players once they sign and are here, even if they don't fit what I feel the team needs. I'll certainly criticize their play constructively. But I'll never attack them personally or say ridiculous thing like they need to transfer or quit, etc. Like so many of the immature kids & folks on the TwittersX. IMO, that's not right and it's definitely not Christian, and I'm certainly not nor ever was the caliber of a D1 athlete.

McKay also doesn't get enough credit for the caliber of the character of the athletes he recruits. As frustrating as it is not to have centers, power forwards, and big shooting guards on the roster, it's very comforting to know that we haven't heard of any of his players getting into trouble and tarnishing the image of the team or school. On top of that, McKay's record, like Scott Jackson's, speaks for itself. They'll get their programs back to where they need to be. Every great coach in every sport has had peaks and valleys in their careers and it's called life and recruiting cycles. Calling for their jobs or that they should be on the "hot seat" is just stupid. And I've certainly had criticisms of their coaching.

As far as Rode is concerned, he was a great player for Liberty, especially with his purported team leadership and how he represented us. It's unfortunate that he was never really "the man" for us, but it is what it was. I'm grateful for his time here, and after he's done playing overseas for money, I hope he returns here as a coach.

Finally, I welcome Mr. Gibson now that he's signed, and I hope he does well and exceeds all of our expectations. I'd imagine that he's going to red shirt next year anyway. Rant over.
TH Spangler liked this

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]