If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By paradox
Registration Days Posts
This is a significant hire. We now have two key Mooney disciples from UR on staff. Chris Mooney is the ultimate Princeton style guy. So, we appear to be building on that. Makes sense.

Jones will benefit in multiple ways. Recruiting and development in particular. Shooting as well. Appears to be a considerable upgrade. And this should be a smooth transition for him.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: April 19th, 2022, 5:37 pm This is a significant hire. We now have two key Mooney disciples from UR on staff. Chris Mooney is the ultimate Princeton style guy. So, we appear to be building on that. Makes sense.

Jones will benefit in multiple ways. Recruiting and development in particular. Shooting as well. Appears to be a considerable upgrade. And this should be a smooth transition for him.
Looks like a terrific hire , but a "considerable upgrade" over Brad Soucie?
No.
Baybird liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
https://www.liberty.edu/flames/news/mck ... f-updates/

Liberty athletics article:

That article gives me the impression that we view Johnston as our offense guy and Jones’ Richmond bio gives me an impression that he’s been the defense guy for their staff. Obviously basketball coaching isn’t as segmented as that, but it seems like McKay has put together a well-rounded staff.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: April 19th, 2022, 7:14 pm https://www.liberty.edu/flames/news/mck ... f-updates/

That article gives me the impression that we view Johnston as our offense guy and Jones’ Richmond bio gives me an impression that he’s been the defense guy for their staff. Obviously basketball coaching isn’t as segmented as that, but it seems like McKay has put together a well-rounded staff.
It can be. And more so lately.
stokesjokes liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: April 19th, 2022, 7:14 pm https://www.liberty.edu/flames/news/mck ... f-updates/

It didn’t used to be that way but it is now. Probably been that way for the last dozen years or so. It will eventually become like FB where you have O and D coordinators
stokesjokes liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Guy looks like a real asset that will be tapped on both sides of the ball. But since you guys like to talk D so much, let's throw this out there. Different defensive looks this year? Mix it up a little? Maybe even a little straight-up man D?
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
If McKay strays from the pack-line for any serious stretch of game time, I’ll eat my hat. Dude had his conversion experience at UVA and isn’t backsliding now. What I hope we see is improvement in individual form and team execution.
Purple Haize liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Surely, we'll see our fair share of the pack next year. But it's not the end-all-be-all. Not convinced that RM is the hard-liner that so many portray him as. Most wouldn't know the difference if we were in the pack, 1-2-2 zone, or disguised match-up zone. He could be mixing it up more than we think. Do what works. That's what it's about.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: April 20th, 2022, 1:22 am It’s an age-old question in coaching: recruit to a system, or adapt system(s) every year to personnel.
HS Coaches are grizzled veterans of the latter!
JK37 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: April 20th, 2022, 12:00 am Surely, we'll see our fair share of the pack next year. But it's not the end-all-be-all. Not convinced that RM is the hard-liner that so many portray him as. Most wouldn't know the difference if we were in the pack, 1-2-2 zone, or disguised match-up zone. He could be mixing it up more than we think. Do what works. That's what it's about.
As huge Zone Defense guy I’d love to see that. But it won’t happen outside of a basic 2-3 or 1-2-2 on rare occasion if at all
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Love the 1-3-1. Also the 3/4-court 1-2-2 back into a 2-3. Boeheim’s trapping 2-3 is a classic example of a defensive system to which he expressly recruits.

RMK told me the same years ago. When he was at UVA, I picked his brain awhile about the Blocker-Mover. He chuckled at one point, and I’ll never forget what he said: “We are a pack program. People ask a lot about our offense, but we run the B-M on offense because it’s relatively easy to teach, you can teach sound offensive principles through it, and it allows us to spend the majority of our time working on our defense.”

Later, he added they were probably 80-20 split defense to offense in practice.
Liberty_2023 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Temple ran a similar version of the B M offense and for the same reason. And Chaneys zone was nasty. It’s difficult to put equal time into O and D. Your offense will be a lot more effective as individual players increase their skills. Something that can be done on their own. But Defense is something that can really only be improved in a Team practice setting.
1~3-1? Pfft. Let me introduce you to the Diagonal Pass and the Baseline Entry pass. :D
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
That offensive approach is mostly outdated in an era where the 3 point shot is at a premium. And I'll give Chaney credit for his innovations. But I'll always remember him as one of the guys that taught the fine art of the dirty play along with substituting fouling for defense whenever he could get away with it. He always had a hit man or two coming off the bench to break a thumb or crack a kneecap. Tough guys, but not very smart. Oh, and don't get me started....
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: April 20th, 2022, 12:51 pm That offensive approach is mostly outdated in an era where the 3 point shot is at a premium. And I'll give Chaney credit for his innovations. But I'll always remember him as one of the guys that taught the fine art of the dirty play along with substituting fouling for defense whenever he could get away with it. He always had a hit man or two coming off the bench to break a thumb or crack a kneecap. Tough guys, but not very smart. Oh, and don't get me started....
You say all that like it’s a bad thing :lol: :lol:
JK37, Baybird liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: April 21st, 2022, 12:18 pm Don’t hear that often?
I don’t know who or what they were referencing
I mean by definition anything I do is cool because I’m the definition oh cool 8)
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]