If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By paradox
Registration Days Posts
The video is impressive. However, like anyone else, you gotta bring him in and work him out, if interested. Keep in mind, LU hasn't even offered as of yet. DM returning looms large. We'll see.
Last edited by paradox on April 9th, 2022, 8:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Liberty_2023 wrote: April 5th, 2022, 3:30 pm
Purple Haize wrote: April 5th, 2022, 1:29 pm Is a D3 kid going to be an improvement? Will he make LU better then what they currently are? Or is he equal or less than what he’s replacing?
Simply put - Is he a better player than the one he is replacing?
I understand the concern about taking a D3 guy but Mckay has proved he can find diamonds in the ruff (Keenan Gumbs). Additionally no one we bring in is Darius McGhee. I think this guy could fit in well with the pack line and then help with ball handling, getting to the Rim, and Free Throws (not that free throws were a problem this year). Just my opinion though and we might not get him.
Anyone surprised that Efton Reid is not on this list?
Purple Haize, LUOrange liked this
By LUOrange
D3 is essentially glorified HS ball. Heck, I've had a D3 coach tell me he had better players at the HS level. But McKay is good at the jewel in the rough finds, so we'll see. But PG is a bigger need than another SF type when we have freshman and other younger players his size to develop and they don't develop if they don't play (see Abii).

As much as I'd love for Reid to come here, I'd guess there's a high probability/possibility he and many of his LSU teammates know where they're heading.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: April 5th, 2022, 7:46 pm D3 is essentially glorified HS ball.
Sources say that years ago an AD asked Ballcoach to submit his resume' for a D3 softball coaching job on the eastern shore of rural Maryland. :shock: :oldhag
LUOrange liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: April 5th, 2022, 9:50 pm
Sources say that years ago an AD asked Ballcoach to submit his resume' for a D3 softball coaching job on the eastern shore of rural Maryland. :shock: :oldhag
And? He didn’t pass the background check?
LUOrange liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Some of these potential transfers show promise. Qunicy Anderson with 2 years remaining could be mutually attractive to both parties. But an Alec Rosner with one year remaining would appear to be less likely, unless McGhee miraculously returns. Who knows? Stranger things have happened. So, we'll see.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: April 5th, 2022, 10:05 pm
Cider Jim wrote: April 5th, 2022, 9:50 pm
And? He didn’t pass the background check?
Too far to ride his bike. :D
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: April 5th, 2022, 7:46 pm D3 is essentially glorified HS ball. Heck, I've had a D3 coach tell me he had better players at the HS level. But McKay is good at the jewel in the rough finds, so we'll see. But PG is a bigger need than another SF type when we have freshman and other younger players his size to develop and they don't develop if they don't play (see Abii).

As much as I'd love for Reid to come here, I'd guess there's a high probability/possibility he and many of his LSU teammates know where they're heading.
You may be right on the overall talent of D3 players, but we are talking about a 1st team all American. So was Keenan Gumbs, and that worked out well, but he had elite athleticism, which probably translates better to a higher level than skill. Totally agree that a PG would seem to be a more pressing need.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Good guards, in general, are what we need. If Porter's scoring ability is on a high enough level, then we have a point guard. He checks every other box.

Gumbs is an interesting example. He was an undersized 6-4 forward with guard skills. That's the only reason he was D3. McKay was ahead of the curve when we brought him in.
LUOrange liked this
By Liberty_2023
This is just my opinion but Conner Vanover would be an interesting target from the portal. He is transferring from Arkansas. 7'3 stretch 4 who can really shoot the 3. His size makes him a little slow so he did not fit in Arkansas's uptempo offense but with liberty's slower pace he would fit in well. I doubt we are talking with him though, just my mind wandering.
jmclaughlin liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Liberty_2023 wrote: April 15th, 2022, 1:54 pm This is just my opinion but Conner Vanover would be an interesting target from the portal. He is transferring from Arkansas. 7'3 stretch 4 who can really shoot the 3. His size makes him a little slow so he did not fit in Arkansas's uptempo offense but with liberty's slower pace he would fit in well. I doubt we are talking with him though, just my mind wandering.
If he does not move well, the issue would be on defense. In the pack line, all 5 players have to be able to cover ground. That's why Newton was never able to earn minutes and ended up transferring. I think we will have a stretch 4 next year who checks off that box.
Liberty_2023 liked this
By Liberty_2023
Has anyone heard about additional guys Liberty may be targeting? From the 6 players listed in the ASOR article from April 5th this has since happened. I checked all these guys twitters so not exactly full proof but best information I could find.

Jamaru Brown - Hearing from Southern Miss, Cal, UTEP, Coastal, App State, East Carolina, & Milwaukee. Did not mention hearing from liberty. Visiting Coastal & Milwaukee.
Ali Ali - Committed to Butler
Alec Rosner - No change I could find
Quincey Anderson - Committed to Murray State
Jaden Okon - No change I could find
Sam Peek - Offered by UMBC, Stetson, & NJIT. Visit scheduled with Stetson. Planned visit with UMBC, Towson, William & Mary. (I assume Liberty won't offer since they haven't already)
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: April 18th, 2022, 12:51 am I wonder if Darius and his decision to stay have affected the pursuit of these guys. I do hope Coach McKay gives Efton Reid a HARD LOOK!
No doubt about it, and the biggest factor is that we only can sign one instead of 2. At this point, I would not be shocked if we were to just go with what we have. Depends on whether we find someone who is both a fit for the culture and enough of an upgrade over our young players to offset the fact that their development could be delayed by reduced minutes.
Liberty_2023 liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
It’s either a polished big-man grad transfer or nothing, for me. Assuming some development from our guys, that’s our biggest hole where we’d want a plug and play guy since Abii left.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: April 18th, 2022, 10:52 am It’s either a polished big-man grad transfer or nothing, for me. Assuming some development from our guys, that’s our biggest hole where we’d want a plug and play guy since Abii left.
Our needs have nothing to do with Abii's departure. The very reason he left was that between the other players already on the roster and those arriving, he was not likely to play much. Apart from Darius, we are extremely young at guard, especially PG. A polished veteran PG could bridge the gap while Moore, Peebles and Porter mature and develop. I think that's probably the direction we will go if we can find the right one who is a fit on and off the court. No indication we have had any contact, but I really like Halloran from Belmont Abbey. All time assist leader for a legendary D2 program who also hit 53% from 3 last year.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Who do we have for big men? Preston? Robinson out of position? After that, no one that’s played. We’ve got more experience in the backcourt, including the program’s best ever. I’d rather take a one year rental at center.
flameshaw liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: April 18th, 2022, 5:35 pm Who do we have for big men? Preston? Robinson out of position? After that, no one that’s played. We’ve got more experience in the backcourt, including the program’s best ever. I’d rather take a one year rental at center.
There is pretty much no such thing as "out of position" any more. Rode is actually bigger than Robinson and often guards the post. That's 3 players in their 4th year who have played a ton of D1 basketball . Then we have Spell, who is 6'9" and can block shots and make 3s. He hasn't played yet, but has practiced a year, and I think it's pretty safe to say that what he did there was one reason Abii transferred.

Apart from Darius, our guards not only haven't played much, they are super young. 2 of them reclassified, and if not for that would be a FR and a HS SR. Peebles is the only one with any significant PT, and he played less than 17 min/game for one season.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Rode is not a post player. He may take the matchup when we need him to, but that’s a symptom of the problem, he shouldn’t be asked to be our post player. Robinson has developed as a post defender, but it’s not where he naturally wants to be either. Our only true post with any kind of experience is Preston, and we all know his limitations.

Our returning backcourt players: Darius, Peebles, Venzant, Warfield, Moore

I feel a lot better about that group than the other. Get a big man who can score in the post, the offense looks a lot better, Preston can be the role player off the bench, and Rode and Robinson can stay at the 3-4 where they belong.

I’d love for Spell or Cleveland to come in and be great, but they are unknown quantities at this point.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: April 18th, 2022, 7:41 pm Our returning backcourt players: Darius, Peebles, Venzant, Warfield, Moore
Rode played a lot of "point forward" for us last year bringing the ball up the court.
stokesjokes liked this
By Liberty_2023
Sam Peek has committed to Stetson. Will be interesting to see him play in the ASUN next season. I think he will be pretty good.

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts

So, we have our roster for next year. We know he is a fit for the program, and he could replace some of the shooting we lose with Keegan's departure if he can return to the form he showed early on as a FR before going down with mono.
Liberty_2023, Sly Fox liked this
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]

LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 8 […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]