If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Liberty_2023 wrote: April 19th, 2022, 7:04 pm With the new associate head coach, do we tweak the offense a little? I know he comes from a pretty pure Princeton system. Im not super knowledgeable about the Princeton offense though. I know we already incorporate some blocker mover concepts and I thought some Princeton ideas as well. I’d love for someone more knowledgeable than myself to give there input, thanks!
For those of you wanting a more “uptempo” style don’t sleep on the Princeton offense. If you ever heard Pete Carril talk about it he bristled at the idea it was a slow down offense. When you saw him lecture on it you could see why. The reason it appears that way is defenses are so worried about getting burned back door or off a cut they back off intensity. Further, for those wanting more balance this is a way to get it. Focus on DM and your man will be somewhere else looking wide open.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Carril did what he did based on his talent, or in his case lack of talent. He always said that. His approach adjusts to the skill level of his players. There's a version of Pete's system in the NBA.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
The main reason people are talking about varied tempos is likely due to the two new guys. Mostly Porter in the backcourt, but also potentially Cleveland at forward. Not fits for ultra-slow.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
I think there's to much talk about tempo. We are a Pack Line team and that's not going to change. We will slow the ball down and get back on Defense after every shot. What I think we will be better at this year will be efficiency on offense. You can be quick on offense and still use full clock. Princeton offense is fun to watch, even though the score will be lower, but it's designed to get you good looks and lots of layups. That's what we need - not saying we abandon the three, but not rely on it as much.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I think Ritchie is, and has always been, flexible as to adjusting to his talent on the offensive end. On defense, I see zero evidence of that, and in fact he clearly has shaped his roster to fit the pack line, as evidenced both in recruiting and departing transfers.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: April 19th, 2022, 9:44 pm Carril did what he did based on his talent, or in his case lack of talent. He always said that. His approach adjusts to the skill level of his players. There's a version of Pete's system in the NBA.
I agree. But watching him break it down was eye opening. Totally destroyed my preconceived notion it was a slow down offense.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I was thinking the same. They are the guys with the most athleticism and untapped potential. Guys like Rode and Robinson are going to get better and refine their games, but I think their potential is already mostly realized.
Purple Haize liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Tothehoopyall1 wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 3:52 pm Who do you think will be the biggest surprise (or maybe top newcomer) this year in terms of their ability to help the team?

I am going to go with Bryson Spell.
Agree for top newcomer. I wouldn't consider it a surprise. No inside info, but my gut tells me that if Bryson had not been showing well in practice, Abii would probably still be with us.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Brody Peebles is a player to keep an eye on. The Jekyll and Hyde quality to his game is real. Ultimately, it's up to him to work this out. Far and away most talented of the bunch.
By Tothehoopyall1
paradox wrote:Brody Peebles is a player to keep an eye on. The Jekyll and Hyde quality to his game is real. Ultimately, it's up to him to work this out. Far and away most talented of the bunch.
I love Peebles and think he was a great recruit for us. I think he needs to get quicker (although he plays good defense) and improve his free throw shooting (I think it was not the greatest last year) but he had a very solid freshman season. He may end up being our top scorer during the post-Darius era.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: May 3rd, 2022, 9:51 am Brody Peebles is a player to keep an eye on.
Didn't Peebles average like 30 or 40 ppg in high school? Those are almost Purple's high school numbers! :shock:
By Tothehoopyall1
Let's talk schedule for a moment. I would love to see us play a tougher schedule than we have been playing in past years. I have heard that scheduling has been difficult as we've improved but I have to believe we can do better than we have been doing. Last year's schedule was not terrible but in particular I am referring to the Regent/Boyce/Carver/Delaware State games. Some of these teams were so bad that I'm not sure I get the point of scheduling them. They also inflate our record/probably hurt our RPI/and our players naturally don't play as hard etc. If we have to stoop lower than the D1 level why not schedule top 20- D2 programs or even top 10- D3 programs that would truly battle the team and make them work.

In comparison, I just viewed Bellarmine's schedule from this past year. They did a have a couple of cupcakes but they played some major competition as well. Gonzaga #1 at one time/UCLA #2 at one point/Purdue #1 at one point/Murray State-NCAA Tournament team/West Virginia. All in all, their schedule looked tougher with 4 NCAA tournament teams listed above.
Did the schedule help Bellarmine in the end? I believe it did, but welcome your thoughts.
And yes, I'm ready for basketball season!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: May 4th, 2022, 6:39 am
paradox wrote: May 3rd, 2022, 9:51 am Brody Peebles is a player to keep an eye on.
Didn't Peebles average like 30 or 40 ppg in high school? Those are almost Purple's high school numbers! :shock:
Pretty close to my career numbers in college :lol:
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
While it seems like he did great work and is receiving high praise, even in the comments there from former players, I also feel like every program thinks they have the best S & C guy. I’m sure we can find someone to fill the role well.
Ill flame liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: May 10th, 2022, 1:00 pm While it seems like he did great work and is receiving high praise, even in the comments there from former players, I also feel like every program thinks they have the best S & C guy. I’m sure we can find someone to fill the role well.
S&C guys do tend to be very popular with both players and fans just about everywhere. For the last several years we have gotten boatloads of quality applicants for our openings. I'm confident we will get a first rate replacement, but Henry is one of the best in the biz.
By Baybird
Sly Fox wrote: May 10th, 2022, 11:28 am He has a great reputation in the strength & conditioning circles. Did he get an offer he couldn't refuse?
Though I don't have any recent info, I know Alabama was VERY interested in him.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The S&C coach for the Sixers is married to my wife's cousin. I was chatting with him and he knows that I am a Liberty alum. He referenced Henry so that's where I get his reputation must be strong.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would s[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]