If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By paradox
Registration Days Posts
I don't think that there's any kind of fear-factor in play here with regard to transferring up. McKay is the reason he stays. A move up is possible. Many things are possible. But it's not plausible.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: April 14th, 2022, 11:34 pm
paradox wrote: April 14th, 2022, 8:23 pm He raises his stock via his performance, especially in the NCAAs. Depends on what we add. improving this team enough to be competitive in the NCAAs is a must, in order for him to return.
The guy was second in the country in PPG. What more can he reasonably prove at LU? At least if he replicates that success at a high major level scout's can't use the lack of competition against him
That's what he's gonna have to weigh. Surround him with better talent and the probability is more favorable that he stays. He can most certainly build on last year. Do even better. Attract even more exposure. And ultimately position himself even higher within the realm of NBA evaluation. Nothing gets people's attention like winning. Especially within the mid-major context.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
IMHO Darius’ clearest path to the NBA, if he wants to go that route, is get a summer league invite and grind in the D-League. Much better upside than trying to catch on at a high major or trying to have a tourney run here. 100% of time devoted to ball and already “in” with an NBA organization.

He’d make more money internationally, but if he wants to chase the NBA dream, it’s summer league and D-League.
By Tothehoopyall1
I have had some fun (at least in my mind) exploring where Darius could/would be a good fit outside of Liberty in the college game.

What about?

UVA- Darius already has packline experience (played HS at Blue Ridge which is right outside Charlottesville). The increased TV coverage would be great for him. Kieha Clark has a Covid year and could come back, but would you rather have Kihea or Darius? I know Darius is really a SG but we all know he can play the PG as well. This sounds interesting to me.

NC State- It seems like Darius style of play would fit well at NC State. Kevin Keatts has a lot of ties to the area and I am sure knows Darius well (Having Coached at Hargrave and the NC area for quite some time now).

Again, I want what is best for Darius and would love to see him back here next year, but it would be interesting to see what he could do on a higher level college team (he has to be one of the greatest recruiting misses of the last decade) that has a chance for a deep NCAA run (this would lean more UVA than State). If he goes to somewhere like mentioned above and does well there is no telling how much $$ he could make with (NIL) deals (See Kihea Clark's Mr. Goodfeet commercial).

I am sure Darius has a lot to think about.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
if I'm his money guy or adviser, I don't understand it. Can't improve his stock much more, he's high value right now. Comes back, could lose everything on that front. High risk, low-no reward.

But some people don't make these decisions based explicitly on $$$. he could help LU win a title, make a run in NCAA's. Will definitely break the school scoring record. LU needs to appreciate him as much as possible.
Sly Fox liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Worst case scenario for DM is that his NBA stock stays even. Probability seems to be low that it trends downward. In all likelihood, it moves upward. The return appears to be the right move.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: April 17th, 2022, 4:18 pm Unless he injures himself.
That's always a risk/possibility, but Darius has been unbelievably durable going back to HS. Not only has he never missed a game with an injury, I do not recall him ever even having to come out of one, even for a few minutes. I think his low mass combined with ridiculous strength/weight ratio works in his favor there. He just bounces off of contact and keeps going, and when he comes down from one of his high flights, it's like a cat landing.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I hope you’re right. And I’m happy for LU. But let’s not pretend this decision is about $$$. And maybe that’s a good thing. If it was, he’d be gone yesterday. He doesn’t have NBA stock.
Purple Haize liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
One aspect of his decision that we haven’t talked about is school. Maybe he can finish a degree this year and wanted to have that in the bag before he moves on. Lots of aspects to this beyond pro prospects.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: April 18th, 2022, 10:49 am One aspect of his decision that we haven’t talked about is school. Maybe he can finish a degree this year and wanted to have that in the bag before he moves on.
I think one of the articles said something about pursuing an MBA, and at LU, you can earn an MBA in only ONE year! Play Basketball Study
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: April 18th, 2022, 11:46 am Knowing LU athletics, I wouldn't be surprised if he had already started.
Probably so. With athletes taking classes year round these days, along with the high level of academic support from the athletic dept., most are completing their undergraduate degree in 3 years; 3 and 1/2 at most. It's not just at Liberty.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
What about Kevin Samuel from FGCU? 6-10 Center

or Rick Issanza - 7-1 Center from Oklahoma?

Or Conner Vanover - 7-3 Center from Cal?

I would love Efton Reid - but guessing he won't come here.

Or KJ Williams from Murray State? 6-10 Center

We need a dominant Big man who can run, stretch and play defense. Someone that will take the load off the guards a little bit.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote: April 18th, 2022, 5:21 pm What about Kevin Samuel from FGCU? 6-10 Center

We need a dominant Big man who can run, stretch and play defense. Someone that will take the load off the guards a little bit.
Really? We "need" that? We have won 3 conference championships and more games than all but 2 other teams in D1 over the past 4 years without it.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Not saying we need it. But changes have to be in order. This team did not finish strong. 4-4 down the stretch if I'm not mistaken. Only beat the non-competitive teams. Expect needed change.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: April 18th, 2022, 8:44 pm Not saying that we need that. But changes have to be in order. This team did not finish strong. 4-4 down the stretch if I'm not mistaken. Only beat the non-competitive teams. Need upgrade.
That is EXACTLY what you said. 8)
I am also disappointed with the way last year ended, but I think you are overreacting. We shot 6-24 from 3 in our tournament loss to Bellarmine. A couple of more makes and we are in the final (even with a subpar shooting day) and probably make it to the dance again. Ritchie needs to tweak things so that Darius does not need to dominate the ball so much and we can get more balanced scoring.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: April 18th, 2022, 8:31 pm
prototype wrote: April 18th, 2022, 5:21 pm What about Kevin Samuel from FGCU? 6-10 Center

Really? We "need" that? We have won 3 conference championships and more games than all but 2 other teams in D1 over the past 4 years without it.
Yes, we need a player like this. We are nothing more than a big fish in a very little pond right now. We are capable of much more. I do believe that we will eventually get there and McKay can take us there. Being the champion of a mid-level conference every year, and losing most competitive OOC games, is not really something that we should aspire to do.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: April 18th, 2022, 9:03 pm
paradox wrote: April 18th, 2022, 8:44 pm Not saying that we need that. But changes have to be in order. This team did not finish strong. 4-4 down the stretch if I'm not mistaken. Only beat the non-competitive teams. Need upgrade.
I am also disappointed with the way last year ended, but I think you are overreacting. We shot 6-24 from 3 in our tournament loss to Bellarmine. A couple of more makes and we are in the final (even with a subpar shooting day) and probably make it to the dance again. Ritchie needs to tweak things so that Darius does not need to dominate the ball so much and we can get more balanced scoring.
Three years ago was three years ago. This past year: weak finish in a weak conference. Last year's formula is proven not to work. DM is not the problem. I'll lean optimistic that we'll have a better supporting cast around him once it all fleshes out.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: April 18th, 2022, 9:03 pm
You just admitted it too. Wouldn't it be nice to have someone rebounding those misses? I know the pack-line defense needs the team to get back, but I wouldn't mind having a true big grabbing a few extra boards. AND I wouldn't mind in games we are struggling to be able to rely on some scoring from the post. AND not always relying on a dribble drive, but a back to the basket post-move. We have done well, but winning a mediocre conference should not be our goal or benchmark...
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
It starts with guard play. If you don't have that you're going nowhere. The one-guard offense seemed to be have been conceived more out of desperation than anything else. The most impactful players have to play. And they had to pick and choose which deficiencies to play around. And put this team in best position to win. I think they did that. They got the most out of these guys. So, it was a success by that measure. But not what you wanna see moving forward. So, anticipate change, not tweaks.
ballcoach15 liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: April 19th, 2022, 8:35 am It starts with guard play. If you don't have that you're going nowhere. The one-guard offense seemed to be have been conceived more out of desperation than anything else. The most impactful players have to play. And they had to pick and choose which deficiencies to play around. And put this team in best position to win. I think they did that. They got the most out of these guys. So, it was a success by that measure. But not what you wanna see moving forward. So, anticipate change, not tweaks.
I concur, and I believe that change will primarily take the form of having a true PG on the floor along with Darius for a significant % of the game. Then the question is "who is that PG"? Currently, the 2 primary options (Moore and Porter) are talented, but super young and green as grass. I especially like Moore, because with his length and athleticism, I think he can develop into another elite defender. I believe we would benefit hugely from a a veteran transfer at that position to bridge the gap while those youngsters mature.
By Liberty_2023
With the new associate head coach, do we tweak the offense a little? I know he comes from a pretty pure Princeton system. Im not super knowledgeable about the Princeton offense though. I know we already incorporate some blocker mover concepts and I thought some Princeton ideas as well. I’d love for someone more knowledgeable than myself to give there input, thanks!
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]