If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 8:44 pm
olldflame wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 4:05 pm I still think Darius will be moving on to his pro career, but the fact that we now actually have an open scholarship for him probably does increase the chances he could stay.
He still has a Rona year, so he shouldn't hurt us scholly wise.
It's not like football. The scholarship limit is still 13.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Tothehoopyall1 wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 7:41 pm How about Cuonzo Martin as the new Assistant coach?
From what I know, he would fit in, and Ritchie has spoken highly of him. I would think with his resume he will get high major assistant and/or mid major HC offers though.

I actually was thinking of the guy who was just on campus.
Purple Haize, Baybird liked this
By LUOrange
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

If that's the case, then obviously, we're only replacing 1 of the 2 guys transferring.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: March 24th, 2022, 9:26 am
[/quote]
[/quote]

If that's the case, then obviously, we're only replacing 1 of the 2 guys transferring.
[/quote]
If Darius does come back, yes.
By Liberty_2023
The roster next year has a lot of large forwards. Do ya'll think we might adjust our offense and focus on scoring more in the paint? Kyle 6'7, Shiloh 6'7, Ben Southerland 6'7, Zach Cleveland 6'8, Bryson 6'9, & Blake 6'9. How does Mckay manage all these guys? I would love to see liberty utilize a larger lineup so we do not waste having all this size. Thanks
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Liberty_2023 wrote: March 28th, 2022, 9:21 pm The roster next year has a lot of large forwards. Do ya'll think we might adjust our offense and focus on scoring more in the paint? Kyle 6'7, Shiloh 6'7, Ben Southerland 6'7, Zach Cleveland 6'8, Bryson 6'9, & Blake 6'9. How does Mckay manage all these guys? I would love to see liberty utilize a larger lineup so we do not waste having all this size. Thanks
If he sticks with the Blocker Mover I doubt you will see more post scoring. I mean you’ll see an increase because right now LU doesn’t have anyone efficient down low. Height doesn’t really effect the BM offense. Having a couple 6’6 or 6’7” movers isn’t unheard of. I just don’t see him changing though to be more post centric.
Liberty_2023 liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Ideally, Darius returns, and we add another dependable scorer from the portal. Otherwise, this team is pretty much in suspension until the arrival of Blair the third.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Tothehoopyall1 wrote: March 31st, 2022, 4:44 pm I would love to see us land Efton Reid who has entered the transfer portal. He would be a huge get for the program.
Getting a marquis transfer would be a first for us. We get the diamond in the rough types from D2. Reid and the like are looking for landing in a P5 conference with the hope of going to the "Dance". At this point we don't offer that . . . but you never know, there's always a first time for everything.
By Tothehoopyall1
I agree with you but there are a couple things we have possibly going for us. - We played them this year so he got to see the team first hand- We have a recruiting history with him and 3- He’s from the Richmond area. We’ll see what happens.
Liberty_2023, LUOrange liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote: March 31st, 2022, 5:01 pm
Tothehoopyall1 wrote: March 31st, 2022, 4:44 pm I would love to see us land Efton Reid who has entered the transfer portal. He would be a huge get for the program.
Getting a marquis transfer would be a first for us. We get the diamond in the rough types from D2. Reid and the like are looking for landing in a P5 conference with the hope of going to the "Dance". At this point we don't offer that . . . but you never know, there's always a first time for everything.
I don’t think we know that Reid’s looking to land at a P5. He’s not a small school kid going into the portal to move up, he’s been at a P5 and his coach got fired. It’s equally possible that he didn’t have a great experience in the P5 world and wants a change of pace.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I wonder if he is friends with CB3? I know there is an age gap but obviously they have connections. Being closer to home does offer some advantages as well.
By Tothehoopyall1
Sly Fox wrote:I wonder if he is friends with CB3? I know there is an age gap but obviously they have connections. Being closer to home does offer some advantages as well.
After I wrote my previous post I discovered that Reid and CB3 were teammates in Richmond. Another plus for us but will see what happens.

Any word on who the next Assistant coach will be?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Busy time for Ritchie in the next few weeks. In addition to filling out the roster (most likely from the transfer portal) he has an assistant coach to hire and another key staff position to fill. Also waiting on some sort of clarity on what Darius is going to do, which will determine how many scholarships we have available.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
If DM goes to the combine and catches fire, then it's a safe assumption that he'd be gone. However, anything other than that and there's a real opportunity here, contingent on added value.
By Tothehoopyall1
I could also see Darius playing in a major conference next year. I wouldn't rule this out.

I think he probably:

1: Turns Pro
2. Heads to a major conference for increased exposure
3. Returns to LU. **My preference as I would love to see him play another year.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Tothehoopyall1 wrote: April 14th, 2022, 9:09 am I could also see Darius playing in a major conference next year. I wouldn't rule this out.

I think he probably:

You can rule it out because it's not in the picture.

It's really about increasing his NBA stock at this point. There's not going to be a rush to play in Europe. it will always be there. The transfer/transfers will loom large, pending his return.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: April 14th, 2022, 12:53 pm
Tothehoopyall1 wrote: April 14th, 2022, 9:09 am I could also see Darius playing in a major conference next year. I wouldn't rule this out.

I think he probably:

You can rule it out because it's not in the picture.

It's really about increasing his NBA stock at this point. There's not going to be a rush to play in Europe. it will always be there. The transfer/transfers will loom large, pending his return.
Not sure how he raises his stock staying at LU. I’m not seeing him as an NBA draft pick. Definitely G League possibilities. Buckets of money overseas.
Ill flame liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
He raises his stock via his performance, especially in the NCAAs. Depends on what we add. improving this team enough to be competitive in the NCAAs is a must, in order for him to return.
By Ill flame
paradox wrote: April 14th, 2022, 8:23 pm He raises his stock via his performance, especially in the NCAAs. Depends on what we add. improving this team enough to be competitive in the NCAAs is a must, in order for him to return.
The guy was second in the country in PPG. What more can he reasonably prove at LU? At least if he replicates that success at a high major level scout's can't use the lack of competition against him
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
There would be a risk for Darius in transferring to a high major program. While he has had success against teams like that (41 against Stanford) it is also quite possible that teams would make adjustments and expose his weaknesses, thus actually hurting his stock. Meanwhile, unless he can get a better NIL deal, it could actually hurt him financially. Even at that level, not many teams are as "generous" with FCOA $$ as Liberty, and there could be relocation costs. The only way coming back to LU raises his stock would be to duplicate his scoring exploits while showing improvement as a playmaker and defender, and then follow that up leading a tournament run. Tall order. I just don't see a downside to him going pro. Worst case scenario is he makes some really good $$ overseas.
Purple Haize liked this
NCAA Realignment Megathread

At what point in history was the ACC ever any bett[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

With all due respect, Atrain was in Dallas in his […]

LaTech

I also keep tab with JMU because there is a player[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]