If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
lawrenceq wrote: March 6th, 2022, 11:02 am The program definitely trending in the wrong direction. We are in need of a talent upgrade across the board, especially in the paint.
Drama much?
Fall short of a championship for the first time in 4 years and panic ensues.
We have a lot of talent coming back and more arriving.

Next years team will be longer and more athletic overall, and should be really, really good defensively.
Obviously, scoring will need to come from some different sources and will almost certainly be much more balanced, which would not be a bad thing.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: March 5th, 2022, 11:32 am While stylistically we match up well, I am most looking forward to their coach's antics. But that's just me. I miss having Ole Purpleface in a league with us. This guy helps fill that gap.
Considering the allegations of abuse that have come out of Wichita State, I don't miss him at all
thesportscritic liked this
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: March 6th, 2022, 11:37 am
lawrenceq wrote: March 6th, 2022, 11:02 am The program definitely trending in the wrong direction. We are in need of a talent upgrade across the board, especially in the paint.
Drama much?
Fall short of a championship for the first time in 4 years and panic ensues.
We have a lot of talent coming back and more arriving.

Next years team will be longer and more athletic overall, and should be really, really good defensively.
Obviously, scoring will need to come from some different sources and will almost certainly be much more balanced, which would not be a bad thing.
We are trending in the wrong direction. Look at the numbers. No panic in me. I understand you can't win them all.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: March 6th, 2022, 11:42 am
Sly Fox wrote: March 5th, 2022, 11:32 am While stylistically we match up well, I am most looking forward to their coach's antics. But that's just me. I miss having Ole Purpleface in a league with us. This guy helps fill that gap.
Considering the allegations of abuse that have come out of Wichita State, I don't miss him at all
I agree, as I suspect Sly does too. That said, he was entertaining. His halftime interview was hilarious as he restrained himself in the face of one particularly dumb question. He was intense riding the officials, but showed a good understanding of the art of it by not drawing a T. Two great coaches last night. Different styles, both very effective.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Wow guys, this year was always viewed as a retooling year. We were exceeding expectations and then our guys got sick and never fully recovered. RM has this program in a great place and we have a ton of valuable assets on the bench and coming in. We are not trending in the wrong direction. Everything is fine. Losing sucks but there is no need to over react.
By LU Grad 11
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: March 6th, 2022, 12:08 pm Wow guys, this year was always viewed as a retooling year. We were exceeding expectations and then our guys got sick and never fully recovered. RM has this program in a great place and we have a ton of valuable assets on the bench and coming in. We are not trending in the wrong direction. Everything is fine. Losing sucks but there is no need to over react.
Disagree that this should have been viewed as a retooling year. We only lost Cuffee and Parker from last season. Parker was a transfer. We could have easily picked up a transfer prior to this season. Hicklen was interested. Regardless, Jacksonville at least made it to the championship in what was clearly a rebuilding year for them. If you look at the metrics/rankings we have regressed each year since the NCAA tourney win. Need more guys that can create off the dribble. Hopefully, we'll see improvement next season. We should be at the point as a program where we reload (see baseball team). If it's Christian, it ought to be better. Nothing wrong with having a higher standard. Go Flames!
jinxy, Ill flame liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
We got spoiled having Georgie, Cabbil, Homesley, Myo, and Scottie all here at the same time. 5 players who played up to their potential as individuals and as a team. We’re not going to have a group like that very often, that just is what it is. The reality of college basketball is that for every player that develops the way you hope, another will not, and chemistry is never a given.

I think for a large chunk of this roster, we haven’t seen nearly what they’re capable of on the court. For those that we have, they haven’t been consistent. If they put it together next year, we could easily be better than this year. If they don’t, we won’t.

But think about those spurts where Peebles gives you 10 pts in a couple minutes, those games where Abii was unguardable by high-major teams, those games where Rode looks like the most dangerous guy on the court, or when Robinson is hitting threes and doing work inside. Imagine if those guys could provide that consistently, along with what we’ve seen on tape from guys like Venzant and Warfield before they got here. We trended down this year, that doesn’t mean we can’t be better next year.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: March 6th, 2022, 10:22 am This is a character-based program. If they are nothing else, they will always be at least that. Character and mental toughness, in general, supersedes fatigue.
Help me understand your point. Are you saying that because they appeared fatigued they lacked the character and mental toughness normally inherent to a McKay-coached team?
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: March 6th, 2022, 2:32 pm
paradox wrote: March 6th, 2022, 10:22 am This is a character-based program. If they are nothing else, they will always be at least that. Character and mental toughness, in general, supersedes fatigue.
Help me understand your point. Are you saying that because they appeared fatigued they lacked the character and mental toughness normally inherent to a McKay-coached team?
Others are saying fatigue was a key factor in our losing. That's not my position. Fatigue is never a factor if you have fortitude.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: March 6th, 2022, 9:48 am As soon as February hit, RM committed to a one-guard line-up....
A one-guard lineup is going to crash without consistent secondary scoring options. We have a clear deficiency there. Nevertheless, they almost pulled it off. Give 'em credit for that.
Last edited by paradox on March 6th, 2022, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: March 6th, 2022, 5:04 pm
Others are saying fatigue was a key factor in our losing. That's not my position. Fatigue is never a factor if you have fortitude.
Depends on what is causing that fatigue.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: March 6th, 2022, 5:44 pm
paradox wrote: March 6th, 2022, 5:04 pm

Depends on what is causing that fatigue.
Ok, we're talking about 18-22 year olds playing in the NCAA, right? I mean, yeah, it's different if you're like 40.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Laugh if you want, but fatigue doesn't defeat a true competitor. Our guys fought 'till the end. They almost got there. We really lacked consistent scoring outside of Darius. It's really hard to be as competitive as we were without that. BU pretty much defended only Darius, Keegan, and the post. And Keegan is a good shooter, but he's limited as a standstill guy.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
I'm somewhat disappointed that we chose not to accept a postseason offer. I know everyone's got their reasons, but I view the postseason as a learning and growing experience somewhat different than the regular season.

It also seems kind of like we're giving up because we didn't have the season we wanted. I recognize this is my own personal hang up, but I think it says something about the team.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: March 8th, 2022, 7:58 am I'm somewhat disappointed that we chose not to accept a postseason offer. I know everyone's got their reasons, but I view the postseason as a learning and growing experience somewhat different than the regular season.

It also seems kind of like we're giving up because we didn't have the season we wanted. I recognize this is my own personal hang up, but I think it says something about the team.
If we had turned down an NIT bid, I would be mad as a hornet. CIT and CBI? I respect their decision. Not saying we are now totally above those tournaments and should never consider going in the future, but I trust that this group of players made the right decision for them.
JK37, thesportscritic liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
I certainly respect their decision. They're grown men. I just don't know that it's the right one, but again I don't know the entirety of their situation.

When I was younger I quit playing basketball in high school because my coach was on my back about not attending one of the optional summer camps. I was kind of a punk and I thought I was showing the coach by quitting and basketball was a huge time commitment. I regret it almost 20 years later.

Every practice and game missed now seems like a moment I missed developing perseverance, but I wasn't able to see it at the time.

I'm sure they have way better reasons than what I had, as they all seem way more committed to basketball than I ever was, but I'd still advise them to make sure there are really great reasons for not playing if it were my son asking for advice. Just my final two cents.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I believe it was an excellent decision. for several reasons. I am semi-glad that we didn't get an NCAA bid, by winning the conference championship. We likely would have been in a play-in game and/or a 16 seed and probably get blown out.
Anyone with any basketball knowledge and skill, realize that you can double-team DM and that there is no other offensive threat. Teams that have the skill to play postseason ball, are usually talented enough to play a box and one or similar.
We did not have a very good year, there is no reason to go into a second/third tier tournament and do poorly, will not help us in the future.
IF we were fatigued (which I believe is nonsense), that why continue to practice and play? Focus on next year.
Finally, and most important in my mind, is why further expose DM to potential injury. He has a chance to play pro ball somewhere and probably make a good living doing it.
We have nothing to prove and could end up being embarrassed by getting beat in one of these unimportant tournaments.
ballcoach15 liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Usually playing a postseason tourney is the right move, especially with almost everyone returning next year, but I think this has more to do with team dynamics than fatigue.

If we play a tourney, we can’t ask Darius to sit out, which means the young guys are just going to further reinforce the bad habits they’ve developed this year when they could just defer to McGhee. They’re going to be playing completely different basketball next year, so that minimizes the benefit of extra ball for the returners.
ballcoach15, Dalegarz1 liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I wouldn’t ask DM to sit out or to play. I wouldn’t fight him at all if he chose to sit or play. His future, his decision.
By jmclaughlin
So, the conference tournament championship was lost on January 29th, when we lost to Jax State...AT HOME! Fresh Prince of Bellarmine winning the tourney makes this season sting even more.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]