If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Bellarmine University
Louisville, Kentucky

BU Hoops Official Site

Scott Davenport
17th Season as BU Head Coach

2021-2022 Schedule/Results

Oct 28 - Tiffin ................................................................... W 90-87
Nov 09 - @ #7 Purdue ....................................................... L 67-96
Nov 13 - @ Murray State ................................................... L 59-78
Nov 17 - @ Saint Mary's (CA) ............................................ L 64-73
Nov 19 - @ Gonzaga ......................................................... L 50-92

Tounament in Las Vegas
Nov 22 - vs. UCLA ............................................................. L 62-75
Nov 23 - vs. Central Michigan ........................................... W 76-69

Nov 28 - Franklin College .................................................. W 75-37
Nov 30 - @ West Virginia .................................................... L 55-74
Dec 05 - Defiance College .................................................. W 92-43
Dec 09 - Asbury ................................................................. W 87-55
Dec 10 - Midway ................................................................ W 89-39
Dec 15 - @ South Dakota ................................................... L 64-78
Dec 18 - @ Miami (OH) ....................................................... W 77-68
Dec 21 - Loyola Marymount ............................................... L 57-71
Dec 29 - @ Bradley ............................................................ Cancelled
Jan 08 - Eastern Kentucky ................................................. W 66-61
Jan 11 - Central Arkansas .................................................. W 85-63
Jan 15 - @ Lipscomb ......................................................... W 77-71
Jan 18 - North Alabama ..................................................... W 68-60
Jan 22 - Jacksonville ......................................................... W 76-73
Jan 24 - @ Jacksonville State ............................................. L 60-65
Jan 27 - @ Stetson ............................................................. W 72-47
Jan 29 - @ FGCU ................................................................. W 74-63
Feb 03 - Liberty .................................................................. L 53-66
Feb 05 - Kennesaw State .................................................... L 70-75
Feb 09 - @ North Florida .................................................... W 73-70
Feb 12 - @ North Alabama ................................................. W 75-69
Feb 16 - @ Central Arkansas .............................................. W 79-69
Feb 20 - Jacksonville State ................................................ L 67-82
Feb 23 - Lipscomb ............................................................. W 76-73
Feb 26 - @ Eastern Kentucky ............................................. L 58-72

ASUN Tournament
Feb 26 - Quarterfinal vs. FGCU .......................................... W 81-68
Mar 05 - Semifinal @ Liberty ............................................ 6:00 PM

Key Player

#13 Dylan Penn
6' 3" 190 lbs Senior Guard
Thru 31 Games: Averaging 16.3 Pts, 4.2 Rebs & 5.0 Assists + 49.8 FG%
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
They will be a tough out, but based on their system and the results of our 2 previous games, I think we match up better with them than we do with, for instance, FGCU. They play an unusual offense which utilizes dribble penetration less than any other D1 team, and it kinda plays into our defensive strength. Teams who have given us problems from 3 have generally gotten those looks by kicking it out after dribble penetration.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
While stylistically we match up well, I am most looking forward to their coach's antics. But that's just me. I miss having Ole Purpleface in a league with us. This guy helps fill that gap.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
In an absolutely shocking turn of events we are being outscored in the 2nd half and a turnover from a pass that had almost zero chance at being caught will likely be the finally nail in the coffin.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
Embarrassing.
Lost to a D2 transitioning team. No way for the kool-aid drinkers to make this one okay.
Veritas liked this
By tyndal23
Veritas wrote: March 5th, 2022, 8:54 pm Hopefully we’ll see less standing around letting one person score next year. Ugly February and March.
We need Gene Hackman to visit preseason. No shots until after 5th pass. They made us expend a ton of energy on D, they just hand to stand there and grab the rebound most possessions.
Veritas, LU Grad 11 liked this
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
It’s a shame we had no post/inside game. You could tell Darius was worn down towards the later part of the season. McDowell went in a long slump, Rode can’t hit 3-5 footers, and Preston is soft.

Next year will probably be rough.
Veritas, Purple Haize, jinxy liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: March 5th, 2022, 9:13 pm It’s a shame we had no post/inside game. You could tell Darius was worn down towards the later part of the season. McDowell went in a long slump, Rode can’t hit 3-5 footers, and Preston is soft.

Next year will probably be rough.
Preston can’t hit 0 footers.
flameshaw liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: March 5th, 2022, 9:22 pm
tyndal23 wrote: March 5th, 2022, 9:11 pm If Bellarmine wins, who goes to NCAA - the other finalist or highest net ranking ?
To piggyback, if JSU wins the ASUN tourney, do we get NIT auto-bid?
Withdrawn :shock:

*edit* if Bellarmine wins, regular season champ goes to the NCAAs, so JSU still has a shot.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
We might not have a better final record next year but we might end up having a better team. I haven't even really cared if we won the last two games because there seems to be some chemistry issues with our current makeup. I'm hoping that might be changed for the better come next year; hard to be good when you have a superstar who has the green light even there is no shot. I think McGhee was just as capable of being prolific in his earlier years but the offense didn't revolve around him. Glad the season is over because we looked worse and worse as time passed.
PAmedic, Ill flame, jinxy and 1 others liked this
By tyndal23
stokesjokes wrote: March 5th, 2022, 10:02 pm
stokesjokes wrote: March 5th, 2022, 9:22 pm
tyndal23 wrote: March 5th, 2022, 9:11 pm If Bellarmine wins, who goes to NCAA - the other finalist or highest net ranking ?
To piggyback, if JSU wins the ASUN tourney, do we get NIT auto-bid?
Withdrawn :shock:

*edit* if Bellarmine wins, regular season champ goes to the NCAAs, so JSU still has a shot.
That makes too much sense...are you sure ? :)
By LUOrange
Some of y'all are something else. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that y'all got banned from your kid's little league games.

IMO, the most immediate and obvious issues were the guys being tired from the Rona cause crammed schedule and really bad ASUN officiating. But all season long our issues were lacking a true PG and abandoning any type of an inside game. Preston losing significant PT all season didn't make much sense to me. But most of our sloppy play and shooting hesitancy comes from our inexperience and adapting to new roles. Another part was McKay's rotation, which to me was very questionable at times.

But all of that said, I loved watching McGhee play, McDowell too sometimes. :D But we'll be fine next year as our team will be more experienced and McKay is still the right man for our job. Besides, we still have a NIT, CIT, or CBI to win.
ATrain, thesportscritic liked this
By tyndal23
[*]
LUOrange wrote: March 6th, 2022, 12:24 am Some of y'all are something else. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that y'all got banned from your kid's little league games.

IMO, the most immediate and obvious issues were the guys being tired from the Rona cause crammed schedule and really bad ASUN officiating. But all season long our issues were lacking a true PG and abandoning any type of an inside game. Preston losing significant PT all season didn't make much sense to me. But most of our sloppy play and shooting hesitancy comes from our inexperience and adapting to new roles. Another part was McKay's rotation, which to me was very questionable at times.

But all of that said, I loved watching McGhee play, McDowell too sometimes. :D But we'll be fine next year as our team will be more experienced and McKay is still the right man for our job. Besides, we still have a NIT, CIT, or CBI to win.
I brought up Rona and fatigue a month ago and was shot down, but bottom line the warning signs were there before it hit. It was a combo of all you stated, and none are excuses. 20 plus win season, good to whine about...but the teams we lost to at “ home” - no excuse. I hark back to Trae Young / McGhee comparison...pac Line philosophy isn’t built for no pass 1 shot offense.
By Dalegarz1
For you ice hockey fans you’ll remember when the Pittsburgh Penguins suffered from the “Mario Lemieux” syndrome. Too many players standing around watching him try to do it all himself. I drove 7 hours yesterday to watch this (after catching the beginning of the softball game against Norte Dame), and I was so disappointed in our offensive scheme. There was such a contrast in the styles of the 2 teams. Bellarmine had excellent ball movement and players moving without the ball to create mismatches. LU had repetitive high ball screens and little else. Looking forward to a “team” offense next year.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Dalegarz1 wrote: March 6th, 2022, 5:43 am For you ice hockey fans you’ll remember when the Pittsburgh Penguins suffered from the “Mario Lemieux” syndrome. Too many players standing around watching him try to do it all himself. I drove 7 hours yesterday to watch this (after catching the beginning of the softball game against Norte Dame), and I was so disappointed in our offensive scheme. There was such a contrast in the styles of the 2 teams. Bellarmine had excellent ball movement and players moving without the ball to create mismatches. LU had repetitive high ball screens and little else. Looking forward to a “team” offense next year.
This right here. Their best player passed and moved, and would look to create after the ball came back to him. LU, not so much.

Now that it’s been mentioned, rotation confuses me, too. Where was Abii? But before I ever blame a coach for rotation, I would ask what those players have been doing in practice and in workouts to EARN their spot in the rotation.

To me, this would’ve been an incredibly frustrating team to try to coach. The inconsistency of performance is maddening. How do you game plan when you’ve got no idea who is going to show up for you?! Or what version of them is going to perform? Maddening.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: March 6th, 2022, 7:59 am Where was Abii?
On the bench, still wearing his warm-up T-shirt. Every time an inside pass would come to Robinson, and he would turn it over, I kept thinking, Abii has to have better hands than that.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: March 6th, 2022, 8:28 am
JK37 wrote: March 6th, 2022, 7:59 am Where was Abii?
On the bench, still wearing his warm-up T-shirt. Every time an inside pass would come to Robinson, and he would turn it over, I kept thinking, Abii has to have better hands than that.
If you have ever listened to Ritchie talk about Abii, you know he wants the kid to succeed more than anyone. So easy to get excited about the occasional flashes of talent he has shown and forget the mistakes. That's just in the games. McKay has so much more to go on from practice than any of us do. If he thought it would make us better, he would have played him more.
JK37 liked this
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
We were leaking oil a long time. Maybe fatigue had something to do with it but to me the team never looked amazing at any point in the year. Certainly in a different zip code than layer era but this squad was clearly a rung down from the last 3 or 4 years all year to me. I also understand the critique of how our offense ran but realistically if darius didnt do what he did who is going to score? Shiloh looked capable until the last month then he disappeared. Mcdowell while better than previous years is still mostly a shooter only. Preston and rode both missed a big on of close range shots the last month. Venzant and warfield Really dont even have to be accounted for on offense at this point. So that basically leaves you with peebles and abii who doesnt get much time. I understand rode preston and mcdowell each had a 2 or 3 very good games during year but no consistency. So without being able to rely on any of them what else was darius to do?

Next year looks even worse to me. Feels like we need an impact portal guard just to be the same as we are this year. Porter will be a reclass so expect similar year to moore. I like the other 2 guys coming in but how much time will they even get.

In any event its still much much better than at any other point in LU mbb in last 20 years but the future looks a little murky to me at this particular moment.
JK37, Sly Fox, LUOrange liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Looking gassed and at times listless in the second half was the theme of the past month or so since the COVID break. Not making excuses, just stating the obvious. A week to rest before the consolation tourneys roll out could be just what the doctor ordered. I also suspect that we will see more of Peebles, Warfield, Abii & Moore to get them better prepared for next season.
LUOrange liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
This is a character-based program. If they are nothing else, they will always be at least that. Character and mental toughness, in general, supersedes fatigue.
ATrain liked this
2024 Recruiting Discussion

UVA playing against a mid-pack MEAC team is their […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]

New Mexico State

Final home CUSA 3 game series, starts tonight. NM[…]