If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Florida Gulf Coast University
Fort Myers, Florida

FGCU Hoops Official Site

Michael Fly
4th Season as FGCU Head Coach

2021-2022 Schedule/Results

Nov 09 - Florida National ............................................... W, 94-57
Nov 13 - @ Loyola (IL) ..................................................... L, 77-89
Nov 16 - #25 USC ............................................................. L, 61-78
Nov 21 - Eckerd ............................................................... W, 99-59
Nov 23 - Rhode Island ..................................................... W, 67-66

FGCU Invitational
Nov 26 - Western Michigan .............................................. W, 77-67
Nov 27 - Southeastern Louisiana .................................... W, 90-71
Nov 28 - Purdue Fort Wayne ............................................ W, 85-78

Dec 01 - @ FIU .................................................................. L, 61-77
Dec 04 - Dartmouth ......................................................... W, 78-68 OT
Dec 07 - @ Florida A&M .................................................... W, 69-55
Dec 11 - @ Robert Morris (PA) .......................................... W, 85-74
Dec 19 - Mercer ................................................................ W, 67-55
Dec 22 - @ Canisius .......................................................... L 90-97 OT
Jan 05 - North Florida ...................................................... W, 74-67
Jan 08 - @ Jacksonville .................................................... L, 66-69
Jan 13 - @ Kennesaw State ............................................... L, 53-77
Jan 15 - Liberty ................................................................. L, 75-78
Jan 18 - @ Stetson ............................................................ W, 93-91 in OT
Jan 22 - @ Jacksonville State ............................................ L, 71-79
Jan 27 - Eastern Kentucky ................................................. W, 77-73
Jan 29 - Bellarmine ........................................................... L, 63-74
Feb 03 - @ Central Arkansas .............................................. W, 95-93 in OT
Feb 05 - @ Lipscomb ......................................................... W, 77-68
Feb 09 - North Alabama .................................................... W, 92-60
Feb 12 - Stetson ................................................................ W, 89-82 in OT
Feb 16 - Kennesaw State ................................................... W, 82-76
Feb 19 - @ North Florida ................................................... L, 64-70
Feb 23 - @ Liberty ............................................................... 7:00 PM
Feb 26 - Jacksonville

Key Player

#5 Tavian Dunn-Martin
5' 8" 155 lbs Super Senior Point Guard - Transfer from Akron & Duquesne
In 27 Games: Averaging 20.0 Pts, 3.0 Rebs & 6.3 Assists + 84-of-230 (36.5%) on 3-Pt Attempts
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
Box out and keep #32 in the game. Team has struggled without him being a significant contributer. No one else on this team has a presense in the paint against a team this long. He plays 5 minutes in the first half, gets two dunks, couple of blocks, forces a turnover, hits the open pass. Hope he is completely over COVID, or is out of the doghouse or whatever has limited his minutes, because this is a better team with him in there!
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
This is one of the best games I have seen Preston play. I think he's a better player when he's reacting. Too much time on his hands does not play to his strengths IMO.
jmclaughlin liked this
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
What happens to this team after half time? It’s so bizarre and frustrating.
By Veritas
We may have seen peak play several weeks ago. At this rate, I’d be surprised to see them win the conference tournament. I’m no basketball expert, but the play has looked lifeless and sloppy the past several games.
Last edited by Veritas on February 23rd, 2022, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Every game, man. If it happens once, you write it off as an anomaly. What are we doing on D to let this happen?
Veritas liked this
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
Veritas wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 10:08 pm
stokesjokes wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 10:04 pm
stokesjokes wrote: February 20th, 2022, 9:04 am I would also be happy if people stopped having career games against us
This. Truly head scratching.
When multiple players have career games against us it’s not a random coincidence. There’s a reason for it. We are the common denominator for career games for whatever reason.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
In OT, LU player after player looked afraid to take a shot, the only mindset, "find McGhee". FGCU finds a guy who had one bucket prior to OT to hit 2 or 3 three's.
stokesjokes liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
No trust. They need a team-building weekend with a ropes course.

One of the last plays, Shiloh got the ball under the basket and was double teamed, Peebles was standing in the corner with no FGCU player within 20 feet of him. Shiloh didn’t even look for him and turned the ball over.
Just John liked this
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Fun to watch: Preston working and being successful, the times when we doubled thuglife and kept him from shooting or driving, the hustle that seemed to grow with 2 minutes left in regulation
Things that sucked: our last 11 seconds, our continuous barrage of 3 pt shots, our use of the clock when we could have used time, the crappy misses in the paint (but I suck at hoops, myself), the amount of time that thuglife got on camera acting like an idiot.
All that off my mind now, our second half play in this game was much better in the second half games that we've played where we lost leads and the game. FGCU outplayed us and those dagger threes from the bench warmer in OT sealed our doom. Preston showed that we can go inside but that seems to be our third or fourth option after we wasted 3-4 possessions trying for a three. I get strange flashbacks of the Bailey Alston years watching this team rather than the vibes that the last few teams put off. Hopefully we can hang on the 1st place East- at this point, I wouldn't put money on it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 10:24 pm No trust. They need a team-building weekend with a ropes course.

One of the last plays, Shiloh got the ball under the basket and was double teamed, Peebles was standing in the corner with no FGCU player within 20 feet of him. Shiloh didn’t even look for him and turned the ball over.
Trust is one of the 3 main components to any successful team. If they don’t have it they won’t succeed
stokesjokes liked this
By jmclaughlin
Even if we win the conference tourney, I think we have played ourself into a 15 or 16 seed. Not sure there is a path to anything higher
Geraldos Mustache liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Just John wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 10:19 pm In OT, LU player after player looked afraid to take a shot, the only mindset, "find McGhee". FGCU finds a guy who had one bucket prior to OT to hit 2 or 3 three's.
Exactly. Several were obviously afraid to take the shot. Plus we missed 4 free throws down the stretch. Finally, I counted at least 4 times when one of our brick masons, were within 5 feet of the basket and missed the shot, with little to no pressure.
Last edited by flameshaw on February 24th, 2022, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Honestly our lack of OT experience earlier in the season came back to bite us. But we certainly need someone else to step up.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: February 24th, 2022, 6:53 am Honestly our lack of OT experience earlier in the season came back to bite us. But we certainly need someone else to step up.
Respectfully I disagree. OT we displayed the same inefficiencies that we showed toward the end of the game. People were afraid to shoot and DM had to take some terrible shots because everyone in the building knew where the ball was going.
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
Going forward, it is obvious that defenses are going to crowd the 3 point line until we establish a threat inside. Now that Preston appears to be healthy, we need for the ball to go down low on most possessions at least once just to keep the defense honest. If Abii is in the game same thing applies. We don't need him out on the perimeter with everyone else. Both can make those inside shots around the basket or if some one doubles down inside, kick it out to the open man. Guards have to move to get open.
Not sure you can account for the way Dunn-Martin was hitting last night anymore than they did when McGhee dropped 48 on them. Richie's 3's in OT came from nowhere.
Hopefully we can re-establish a chemistry with Blake in the game more. Venzant, Peebles, Warfield and even Abii, are going to be better next year, but right now they are not offensive threats and opposing teams know this. Time to feed the big man in the post to open things up for McGhee, Keegan and Rode.
Ill flame liked this
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Racenut wrote: February 24th, 2022, 12:19 pm Going forward, it is obvious that defenses are going to crowd the 3 point line until we establish a threat inside. Now that Preston appears to be healthy, we need for the ball to go down low on most possessions at least once just to keep the defense honest. If Abii is in the game same thing applies. We don't need him out on the perimeter with everyone else. Both can make those inside shots around the basket or if some one doubles down inside, kick it out to the open man. Guards have to move to get open.
Not sure you can account for the way Dunn-Martin was hitting last night anymore than they did when McGhee dropped 48 on them. Richie's 3's in OT came from nowhere.
Hopefully we can re-establish a chemistry with Blake in the game more. Venzant, Peebles, Warfield and even Abii, are going to be better next year, but right now they are not offensive threats and opposing teams know this. Time to feed the big man in the post to open things up for McGhee, Keegan and Rode.
Due to COVID schedule changes we have had 2 stretches of too many games in too short of a time span with too many starters logging too many minutes. What we saw was really tired legs. Have 5 games in 11 days. Played Saturday (Stetson), fly to Arkansas Sunday, play CA Monday, fly back to LYH for a game Wednesday and play OT. I think if they can get homecourt in the playoffs, get some rest, sleep in their own beds, they still have a shot at a conference championship.
flamehunter, Sly Fox liked this
By Geraldos Mustache
The ASUN Conference Tournament should be interesting.
Nearly any ASUN team has a chance to win because no team has shown themselves to be the clearly superior team.

My gut says there is going to be a dark horse coming out of the ASUN Tournament to represent ASUN in the NCAA Tournament and they are going to be playing with a #15 or #16 seed.

Liberty has lost conference games to: JSU, Jacksonville, North Florida and FGSU.
My money is on JSU.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Racenut wrote: February 24th, 2022, 12:19 pm Going forward, it is obvious that defenses are going to crowd the 3 point line until we establish a threat inside. Now that Preston appears to be healthy, we need for the ball to go down low on most possessions at least once just to keep the defense honest. If Abii is in the game same thing applies. We don't need him out on the perimeter with everyone else. Both can make those inside shots around the basket or if some one doubles down inside, kick it out to the open man. Guards have to move to get open.
I agree with the sentiment, but I respectfully disagree with the application. It’s be great to have one POST player. What we have now are undersized, HARD-working PUTBACK players. They’re not the type you dump to and spread. None is a good post iso player. Back to the basket, they’re all average at best creating leverage. But they do hustle for boards sometimes, and get putbacks. None of them is the type you have to DOUBLE back to basket.

For context, ain’t none of them ALUMA. Even Myo and Scottie more recently could create on the block better than these guys. And that’s more a product of how the game has changed in the last generation than anything else. The days of the Anchor Post are over. It used to be Ewing and Shaq. Now it’s Embiid and AD.
ballcoach15 liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Many of this team's weaknesses have been on open display lately. But, RM has cards to play. Hasn't shown his full hand yet. Guys will be prepared. But they gotta bring the moxie & play smart.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
With all of the travel, I had been surprised to no sebe him go further into or utilize the bench more significantly. But I do recognize as you go get closer to the tourney the screws get tightened.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]