If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I'm disappointed by last night's result, but not especially troubled by it. For the record, losing to UNF on their court is nothing new to us. What would be new would be winning there. Really, the only thing that has happened in ASUN play so far that is any different from the last 3 years is that we lost a home game (and there were some very real extenuating circumstances in play there).

Fascinating side story is that the guy who lit us up for 31 wanted to play for us when he decided to transfer from OK Baptist, where he played for former LU asst. Jason Eaker. Ritchie decided to "go in a different direction", and although he wisely did not elaborate, that direction was to persuade DJ Moore to reclassify. Too early to say that was a mistake in the big picture, but it certainly didn't look like a very good call last night.
ballcoach15 liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
To be fair to DJ, Hicklen is 21 years old and is in his 3rd year of college. I still wish we didn’t have to burn DJ’s redshirt, especially if he is still going to barely play this season. He could really have benefitted from the extra year given how young he is.
flamehunter, Baybird liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Probably not between him and DJ, though. We would have been the earliest. Once you pass on a guy, forget it. So, Parker, unfortunately. It's a huge mistake btw. Ritchie did the right thing and owned it. After the season, he'll have to reassess the scouting group.

Time to move on and take the last four. NIT exposure would benefit Darius. NCAA remains attainable.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Who knows? RM could've directed him to JE in 2019? Guessing? But in the event that it was this year, then you'd be looking at Joe & Brody. Jarius is a player. And owned Joe handily last night.
By tyndal23
I think we still aren’t back up to full conditioning after the Covid hit. Sure we win 4-5 right after, but the margins, turnovers and second half production and second half defense clearly were not as good. I think we get back on track and look like a good basketball team for 35 plus minutes vs 23 minutes...
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
It's not Covid. But we can run the table with the next four and still make something of this season. I'll remain optimistic.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: February 16th, 2022, 9:41 am
Purple Haize wrote: February 16th, 2022, 1:09 am
TH Spangler wrote: February 15th, 2022, 9:20 pm They're giving us the 10 foot jumper in the key and none will take it.
It’s a strategy more coaches are going too. It’s a lost art of the game. Everyone either shoots 3’s or goes to the basket. Mid Range jumper are archaic
Being a skilled three-level scorer is really the only way to become truly unguardable in basketball. Doesn't matter how good you think you are. There's always someone out there who can clean your clock. But not so much the case if the D has to guard your three, your drive, and your mid-range pull-up. Under this scenario, they'll bite on a fake or overplay you somewhere.
How many of those are out there? Plus you are seeing a rise in analytics which penalizes mid range jumpers.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: February 17th, 2022, 8:10 am

It’s a strategy more coaches are going too. It’s a lost art of the game. Everyone either shoots 3’s or goes to the basket. Mid Range jumper are archaic
Being a skilled three-level scorer is really the only way to become truly unguardable in basketball. Doesn't matter how good you think you are. There's always someone out there who can clean your clock. But not so much the case if the D has to guard your three, your drive, and your mid-range pull-up. Under this scenario, they'll bite on a fake or overplay you somewhere.
How many of those are out there? Plus you are seeing a rise in analytics which penalizes mid range jumpers.
We have just one. Doubtful he gets open much there either. And that won't be open too long if shots go down. I guess that's why I said mid-range pull-up. Can't defend it, if you're a threat from three, and a threat to score inside. One or two hard dribbles, head down, drive mode, jab, quick pull-up. He already does variations of that with his side-steps and step-backs.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts

A rise?! It’s been at a peak for a decade now.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: February 17th, 2022, 9:52 am

We have just one. Doubtful he gets open much there either. And that won't be open too long if shots go down. I guess that's why I said mid-range pull-up. Can't defend it, if you're a threat from three, and a threat to score inside. One or two hard dribbles, head down, drive mode, jab, quick pull-up. He already does variations of that with his side-steps and step-backs.
Done effectively, it is unguardable. A lot POB coaches still train for it, not many others. Most offenses are now intentionality designed to eliminate mid- and long-2’s.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: February 17th, 2022, 1:07 pm

A rise?! It’s been at a peak for a decade now.
You know this. I know this. But the General Public may not. Having an offensive player get the ball at the FT line is not the kill shot it used to be. In fact, it can be a huge liability
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
All of the above may be true. RM is still a good coach and the man we need at LU. However, you can't win consistently with only one legitimate scoring threat. That is all we have. To win, we have to depend on 1-2 other players have a good to great night. It doesn't always happen. To use a track analogy, you can't make a sprinter out of a distance runner or a high jumper. You are either a scorer, or your not.
I have watched almost every game this year. Every game, I have seen one of our players miss the entire rim from 2 feet away with little to zero pressure.
If we get to the tournament, we will have to win the league championship, will probably get a play-in game or a 16 seed, and get blown out.
Hopefully some of the new guys can help out next year, but without a very good portal player joining us, it will be a long, learning/building year. RM is the guy that can do it.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Given the manner by which he's been guarded lately, he should be averaging 10 FTA easily, over the last 5 games. But can't control the guys in the striped shirts. There are multiple ways to counter this. Noticed that RM seems to be going with a more physical line-up. Should be interesting.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Regardless of what D you play, you're only as good as your players response with their help defense. That needs to be cleaned up. Guys know what they need to do.
Last edited by paradox on February 18th, 2022, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: February 18th, 2022, 1:56 am ASUN teams are adjusting to the pack line. They've had several years to play against it.
True for the most part, although JSU has not, and still managed to beat us. That was an anomaly IMHO, due to our coming off the 9 day Covid pause.

If I understand this correctly, starting July 1st,[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]