If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
It’s 1 game. On the road. Late in the season. Not the end of the World. Other teams are experiencing the same thing in every League in America. It’s the nature of the beast. Not a fundamental flaw being exposed
LUOrange, JK37 liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Can't win 'em all fellas. A few silver lining notes: Kyle proving that he can be clutch; Micaiah with some quality minutes; JU is, perhaps, the most physical team in the conference; they had a good night; and we were in it 'till the end. JU s a tough team, especially at home.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: February 13th, 2022, 1:55 am It’s 1 game. On the road. Late in the season. Not the end of the World. Other teams are experiencing the same thing in every League in America. It’s the nature of the beast. Not a fundamental flaw being exposed
If there is a fundamental flaw, it’s the same fundamental flaw for every other team with an offensive superstar- we’re too reliant on him to create offense.

When I think about McKay’s offensive system, it’s usually been the offense creating shots, not an individual player, and sometimes deep into the shot clock. I think when McGhee’s on the floor, we don’t really play that way most of the time, so when he’s cold or when they’re throwing extra pressure at him, we’re not well-practiced in-game to run our stuff. I had gotten used to us working on offense and getting good shots with 5 seconds left on the shot clock. I’m not sure our guys have been able to develop the trust in the system that those shots will come.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
I was on the road and listened rather than watched. Anybody have any insight as to why we don't work the ball inside? In most games, we seem to have been successful with cuts and even drives with McGee or Peebles but it didn't sound like that was happening at all until the very last few minutes of the second half. Relying on threes is fine when they are falling but if not, it allows teams to come back on us.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Jacksonville's defense is very solid. They are allowing fewer ppg than we are. When we scored 88 on them in the first meeting it was anomaly.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Darius was held without a FG for aprox. 20 minutes? The no-call around the 3 minute mark late in the game, was the worst I've seen in any game this year. Darius btw, scored on the play. Should've been an and-one to tie the game. A guy is on pace to score 50-60 and gets virtually shut out? Maybe officials needed to move a little closer to the action?

Three of their guys played with 4 fouls each. Fouls were called, but they let some things go. Lax officiating can significantly alter an outcome. JU deserves the win and all. Just not a fan of the John Chaney style of play, especially when the officials "let them play," so to speak. Ritchie will prepare for this. Really gotta be prepared for everything this time of year.
Last edited by paradox on February 13th, 2022, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LUOrange liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
They turned up the D on the second half. Heavy trapping Darius. They seemed determined someone else had to beat them. DM tried to do too much. When he did find opens (rare last night), they weren’t ready. Bottom line: Flames didn’t adjust until it was too late. Momentum carried JU home in their home gym.

I have no problem with the physicality. And it was high. LU needs to get tougher.
ballcoach15 liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
When games turn ugly, unfortunately, you have to play the same way. It may go against RM's nature, but you gotta adjust on both ends, and take it to their nostrils. But, still gotta draw the line somewhere.....and avoid dirty play....which you can be sure we will.
LUOrange liked this
By Geraldos Mustache
I was pleased to see big man Abii make 2 of 3 three-point shots late in the game. Those were clutch 3-pointers to keep Liberty in the game when everyone else had gone cold. Very promising.

Was disappointed to see Venzant miss the front end of a one-and-one foul shot with a minute to play. If he makes both of those, he keeps Liberty in the game.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
That's a distinguishing characteristic if you wanna be better than just average as a scorer. Bird said it best...."anybody can score in the first three quarters." I've been optimistic about Kyle lately. Abii did some nice things the other night as well. His fearless drive to the rim looked good. He needs that in his game in order to keep the defense off balance.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]