If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Lipscomb University
Nashville, Tennessee

Lipscomb Hoops Official Site

Lennie Acuff
3rd Season as Lipscomb Head Coach

2021-2022 Schedule/Results

Nov 09 - Birmingham Southern ................................. W 105-98

Rising Coaches Classic in Charleston, SC
Nov 12 - @ College of Charleston ................................ L 77-86
Nov 13 - vs. SC State .................................................. W 93-81
Nov 14 - vs. Loyola (MD) ............................................. W 70-65

Nov 17 - @ Dayton ..................................................... W 78-59
Nov 23 - @ Tennessee Tech ........................................ L 77-88
Nov 28 - Kentucky Christian ....................................... W 86-67
Dec 02 - @ Belmont .................................................... L 65-94
Dec 05 - Chattanooga ................................................. L 64-85
Dec 08 - @ Miami (FL) ................................................. L 59-76
Dec 12 - @ Tennessee State ........................................ L 65-73
Dec 15 - @ Florida State ............................................. L 60-97
Dec 19 - Tennessee Wesleyan ..................................... W 98-64
Dec 22 - @ LSU ............................................................ L 60-95
Dec 30 - Alabama A&M ................................................ W 66-63
Jan 04 - @ North Alabama .......................................... W 84-74
Jan 09 - @ Central Arkansas ........................................ L 88-93
Jan 11 - @ Jacksonville State ...................................... L 83-88
Jan 15 - Bellarmine ..................................................... L 71-77
Jan 18 - @ Eastern Kentucky ....................................... L 72-86
Jan 22 - Kennesaw State ............................................. W 77-73
Jan 27 - @ Jacksonville ............................................... L 59-66
Jan 29 - @ North Florida ............................................. W 77-74
Feb 03 - Stetson ........................................................... L 71-77
Feb 05 - FGCU .............................................................. L 68-77
Feb 08 - @ Liberty ....................................................... 7:00 pm ET
Feb 12 - Eastern Kentucky
Feb 16 - Jacksonville State
Feb 19 - @ North Alabama
Feb 23 - @ Bellarmine
Feb 26 - Central Arkansas

Key Player

#23 Ahsan Asadullah
6' 9" 275 lbs Junior Power Forward
In 17 Games Played: Averaging 15.5 Pts, 8.9 Rebs & 4.4 Assists + 50.7 FG%
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I am fairly certain that this guy who is a freshman and I believe the son of one of the Benham Brothers. He was their second leading scorer Saturday and has been one of their primary contributors as of late.
SumItUp liked this
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: February 6th, 2022, 4:06 pm I am fairly certain that this guy who is a freshman and I believe the son of one of the Benham Brothers. He was their second leading scorer Saturday and has been one of their primary contributors as of late.
Their Frosh class is really impressive - 2 start and 4 others in the rotation. Have a kid who led the nation in scoring the last 2 years (44ppg as a Jr and 43ppg as a senior) and scored over 5,000 in HS. On varsity as a 7th grader (ala pistol Pete) - Tommy Murr.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Both Tommy's dad & grandpa played at CJ's original alma mater, Tennessee Temple. CJ might have something to say about his dad Steve. My dad (the late poster GulfTX) used to tell me fantastical stories about his grandpa scoring at will from halfcourt back before there was a 3-point line. He allegedly averaged 48 points a game one season. Not sure how much of that was verifiable since the school doesn't even exist these days. Yeah, I know about Piedmont. Doesn't qualify IMHO.
By Geraldos Mustache
Would love to see a complete game from our players tonight. I don't think any of us know what this team is truly capable of. Lots of talent but still lots of gaps and let downs.
LUOrange liked this
By LUOrange
Geraldos Mustache wrote: February 8th, 2022, 9:26 am Would love to see a complete game from our players tonight. I don't think any of us know what this team is truly capable of. Lots of talent but still lots of gaps and let downs.
That Rona Pause slowed them down a bit. We were on a roll, good chance without the Rona hitting the Boys that we're still undefeated in the ASUN.

I'm really glad to see Rode stepping up his offensive game. Next year looks really good especially if we can solidify the PG position.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
If the big guy for lipscomb he’d end up with 50
Double teaming the post is a brilliant move. Lipscomb won’t pass out
The Lipscomb coach is a Dick
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I bet the Lipscomb coach is a vegan crossfitter
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
13 for Lipscomb is the dude who always calls fouls when he misses during pick up games
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
If LUs bigs can hit that pop out 3 it’s a whole different team
McGhee has the quieted 20 points I’ve seen in awhile
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Went to the game on a whim tonight, loved seeing Rode explode for some points. I like seeing Warfield’s minutes growing. He and Venzant are our hustle/lockdown guys. If they’re playing at the same time, we’re really tough to score against. I also thought Preston and Robinson were great against Asadullah.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: February 8th, 2022, 10:17 pm Went to the game on a whim tonight, loved seeing Rode explode for some points. I like seeing Warfield’s minutes growing. He and Venzant are our hustle/lockdown guys. If they’re playing at the same time, we’re really tough to score against. I also thought Preston and Robinson were great against Asadullah.
Warfield wasn’t that impressive. When he got the ball in the press breaker he couldn’t wait to get rid of it. And his free throws at the end….. On the good side he did grab a big boy rebound.
If LU can have one of their bigs hit that pop out 3 they are a sweet 16 team. It will take sooo much pressure off Darius.
Post defense is concerning.
Watching Darius play is so fun. Such a high basketball IQ His shot is softer than a pillow and his teammates respect him and vice versa. It’s special
Geraldos Mustache liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: February 6th, 2022, 6:07 pm Both Tommy's dad & grandpa played at CJ's original alma mater, Tennessee Temple. CJ might have something to say about his dad Steve.
The Muir boys were legends at Tenn. Temple, but they weren't there when I was in school (1979-83), which were the James Ransburg and Anthony Eubanks years (Eubanks transferred from Ole Miss and was famous for his 180 degree dunks).
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: February 8th, 2022, 11:29 pm
stokesjokes wrote: February 8th, 2022, 10:17 pm Went to the game on a whim tonight, loved seeing Rode explode for some points. I like seeing Warfield’s minutes growing. He and Venzant are our hustle/lockdown guys. If they’re playing at the same time, we’re really tough to score against. I also thought Preston and Robinson were great against Asadullah.
Warfield wasn’t that impressive. When he got the ball in the press breaker he couldn’t wait to get rid of it. And his free throws at the end….. On the good side he did grab a big boy rebound.
If LU can have one of their bigs hit that pop out 3 they are a sweet 16 team. It will take sooo much pressure off Darius.
Post defense is concerning.
Watching Darius play is so fun. Such a high basketball IQ His shot is softer than a pillow and his teammates respect him and vice versa. It’s special
Not sure if it's totally fair to assess/comment on post defense following a game against Asadullah.
8) He's an absolute beast, and it looks like he is now pretty much fully recovered from his early season injury.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: February 8th, 2022, 9:16 pm If LUs bigs can hit that pop out 3 it’s a whole different team
McGhee has the quieted 20 points I’ve seen in awhile
Robinson can hit that shot, and next year we will have 3 more players 6'8"-6'9" who can also hit it. Of course we probably won't have Darius any more.
By Dalegarz1
First time in the new arena! Really impressed with the facility. Enjoyed the game and like the total game of Rode. Darius often puts me through a roller coaster of emotions and last night was no exception. On the plus side was a double-double and some big time shots. On the down side was some poor decision making resulting in turnovers. As a former BB coach, his lackadaisical ball handling (at times) would have hastened my hair going grey. High energy team and I look forward to being in person in another week.
Baybird liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
What makes McGhee's scoring average all the more impressive is that we are 325th in the NCAA in possessions per game.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
C’mon coach, you can’t tell me you’re just judging him based on offense! He’s our top hustle guy, always first on the floor for loose balls and is a dog on D. He’s probably our best athlete (yes, I’d put him higher than Venzant), so I’m not worried about the offense coming around eventually. But you know he’s earning those minutes on the most important end of the floor.
SumItUp liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: February 9th, 2022, 9:50 am
C’mon coach, you can’t tell me you’re just judging him based on offense! He’s our top hustle guy, always first on the floor for loose balls and is a dog on D. He’s probably our best athlete (yes, I’d put him higher than Venzant), so I’m not worried about the offense coming around eventually. But you know he’s earning those minutes on the most important end of the floor.
I didn’t see a lot of defense to make an assessment on that. The kid has potential that is obvious. He’s long and bouncy but raw. . And you are right he’s earning his minutes in practice
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
@olldflame I’m not basing it just on this game. Abdullah is an absolute beast. He should have had 30 last night. But there were a couple other dudes working down low. Plus I’m factoring in the other games I’ve seen.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: February 9th, 2022, 10:27 am
stokesjokes wrote: February 9th, 2022, 9:50 am

I didn’t see a lot of defense to make an assessment on that. The kid has potential that is obvious. He’s long and bouncy but raw. . And you are right he’s earning his minutes in practice
Not that it matters, but Darius is the guy that really stands out as an athlete. As far as next year goes, the early money might be on Cleveland. But that's YTBD until he actually gets here.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I am enthusiastic about next year based on the guys we have fighting for PT. Peebles, Venzant, Abii, Warfield and Moore ... everyone of those guys has the athleticism potential to be a breakout star for us next season the way that Shiloh & Keegan have developed this year.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Abii needs to be glued to Myo’s side. You can tell he wants to have a similar game to Myo, but he needs to put in the work. Obviously there’s a lot of factors here, but he looked better the first two weeks of his freshman year than he has since. I can see a scenario where he gets passed over by some younger guys based on his trajectory so far.
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]