If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: January 30th, 2022, 6:57 pm When I see that a team has a bunch of guys 6'10" and up, I think of Al McGuire's line. Are they All-Conference or just "All-Airport"? I really believe Ritchie has set us up for next year and beyond with long, athletic players who can kill it in the packline. We need Peebles, Venzant, Rode, Robinson and at least one of the new players to step up on offense to make up for the lost scoring of McGhee and McDowell. I think Warfield also has more offensive potential than he has shown so far.
Rode, Robinson, Preston are only marginal, at best, on offense. They occasionally have a decent game, but nothing you can rely on. On a P5 team, these guys would rarely see the floor. Guys their size are normally looked at as being big scorers, from the wing. At LU they are just very small big men, forced to play the middle, who can't score.
Ill flame liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Strongly disagree on Rode. He is essentially a 6'7" point forward, who has the ball in his hands more than anyone except Darius, leads us in assists, and shoots over 40% from 3. One of the most skilled players his size around, certainly at our level. That's not even talking about his leadership and other intangibles. Would he play a lot at a P5 level program? I don't know, but he plays for Liberty, and I'm very glad he does.
flamehunter, LUOrange liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: January 30th, 2022, 6:57 pm When I see that a team has a bunch of guys 6'10" and up, I think of Al McGuire's line. Are they All-Conference or just "All-Airport"? I really believe Ritchie has set us up for next year and beyond with long, athletic players who can kill it in the packline. We need Peebles, Venzant, Rode, Robinson and at least one of the new players to step up on offense to make up for the lost scoring of McGhee and McDowell. I think Warfield also has more offensive potential than he has shown so far.
John Wooden felt height beat speed. Because you will not be as fresh or fast as the game wears on but you will always be 7’ tall
LUOrange liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: January 30th, 2022, 6:57 pm I think Warfield also has more offensive potential than he has shown so far.
Folks may forget, but he was our highest rated recruit ever when he signed. He can play.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: January 30th, 2022, 11:08 pm John Wooden retired before the 3 pt line. Shooting being more valuable changes the calculation on both ends of the floor.
Shooters can go cold. 7’ers don’t shrink.
LUOrange liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 30th, 2022, 9:57 pm
John Wooden felt height beat speed. Because you will not be as fresh or fast as the game wears on but you will always be 7’ tall
Far be it from me to disagree with the "Wizard of Westwood". 8) I think the point behind McGuires tongue in cheek "All-Airport" references is that having tall guys doesn't help if they aren't good enough to play. I remember when UNCA always used to have at least 2 7-footers on the team, who almost never played. Then Kenny George came along, and for the brief time he was reasonably healthy, he was a beast. Of course he was closer to 8 feet than 7. :shock:
Purple Haize liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 31st, 2022, 8:51 am Shooters can go cold. 7’ers don’t shrink.
I love it when Purple and JK break into "coach speak." :blahblah
Purple Haize liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 31st, 2022, 8:51 am
stokesjokes wrote: January 30th, 2022, 11:08 pm John Wooden retired before the 3 pt line. Shooting being more valuable changes the calculation on both ends of the floor.
Would you rather have Brendan Newton or Darius McGhee?
olldflame liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: January 31st, 2022, 9:35 am
You can teach a 7’er to shoot. You can’t teach a 5’8” guy to grow
LUOrange liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 31st, 2022, 10:17 am

So I guess your answer is Newton?
Too bad he didn't get good coaching at Liberty. 8)

To be clear, I loved Brendan, and still believe he could have been a D1 player in a different system.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: January 31st, 2022, 11:40 am
Purple Haize wrote: January 31st, 2022, 10:17 am

So I guess your answer is Newton?
Too bad he didn't get good coaching at Liberty. 8)

To be clear, I loved Brendan, and still believe he could have been a D1 player in a different system.
No. But I’d take an athletic 6’6” dude who can shoot over a 5’8” dude who can shoot.
The choice given wasn’t really a legit one. I mean for all intents and purposes KD plays as a combo guard. He’s 7’ tall. Darius will play roughly the same positions. I’ll take a 7’er
As for Newton 7’4 is nice but being tall doesn’t equal talented. The kid at Purdue is the same height. And he’s talented.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Now you’re moving the goalposts. Sure, if you’ve got a 7 footer with guard skills and a shot, he’s gonna be better with a 6 footer with the same skills and measurables.

But if you’ve got a typical 7-footer vs a typical 6-footer, it’s not so easy of a choice, especially in today’s pace and space game.

There’s a reason they called Porzingas a unicorn. For most programs, a skilled 7 footer isn’t walking through that door. At best you get a project that works out by the time he’s a junior. At worst, you get just about every 6’10” or taller player that’s played for LU.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: January 31st, 2022, 2:57 pm Now you’re moving the goalposts. Sure, if you’ve got a 7 footer with guard skills and a shot, he’s gonna be better with a 6 footer with the same skills and measurables.

But if you’ve got a typical 7-footer vs a typical 6-footer, it’s not so easy of a choice, especially in today’s pace and space game.

There’s a reason they called Porzingas a unicorn. For most programs, a skilled 7 footer isn’t walking through that door. At best you get a project that works out by the time he’s a junior. At worst, you get just about every 6’10” or taller player that’s played for LU.
Not moving the goal post at all. Luka is basically a 6’7” PG. There is no such thing as a “typical 7’er” anymore. I just used that as a marker since you asked who I’d rather have. A 7’2” guy with limited ability or a 5’8” guy with good ability.
UVA had Jay Huff at 7’1-2”. He had very good all around skill other than ball handling.
I *think* you are arguing between Post v Perimeter players. And that’s a solid discussion to have that doesn’t necessarily have much to do with height
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Going back to the Wooden quote, the choice he’s laying out is between size and speed. So the dichotomy is smaller, quicker guys or bigger, slower guys. Obviously we’d take the exact same players we have plus six inches. If we’re recruiting on our level, though, we can’t just get taller players that have the same athleticism and basketball skill as the guys we have. If we could…we’d have done that.

Luka Doncic is a top 5 player in the world. He’s not walking into the Liberty Arena any time soon. Although Rode could try to develop his game towards Luka’s. Luka’s not any more athletic than he is.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
North Florida beat JSU last night so we are now tied in the loss column at one with JSU. Sure would be nice to have the tournament in Lynchburg.
Kricket, LUOrange liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
aredd33 wrote: February 4th, 2022, 6:30 am North Florida beat JSU last night so we are now tied in the loss column at one with JSU. Sure would be nice to have the tournament in Lynchburg.
Doesn't really change anything, since they have the tiebreaker, but it puts some pressure back on them. The ASUN is the deepest it has been since we joined. No automatic Ws any more.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: February 4th, 2022, 8:38 am
aredd33 wrote: February 4th, 2022, 6:30 am North Florida beat JSU last night so we are now tied in the loss column at one with JSU. Sure would be nice to have the tournament in Lynchburg.
Doesn't really change anything, since they have the tiebreaker, but it puts some pressure back on them. The ASUN is the deepest it has been since we joined. No automatic Ws any more.
What is the tournament format this year? Do the East teams play each other until the final? Or is the whole thing seeded top to bottom?
By LUOrange
paradox wrote: February 4th, 2022, 9:28 am
olldflame wrote: February 4th, 2022, 8:38 am
What is the tournament format this year? Do the East teams play each other until the final? Or is the whole thing seeded top to bottom?
Top 4 of 12 have a 1st round bye. Bottom 8 play the 1st round. Highest seed hosts, and each round is re-seeded bye highest remaining teams. Almost the same as its been, just changed some to accommodate 12 teams. I suspect if the CFP does expand to 12, it'll be a similar format just with neutral sites/bowl games involved at some point.
Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by So[…]