If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: April 15th, 2022, 11:47 am I was told he will return for 1 more season at LU
The post above yours says as much. Glad you read it :D
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: April 15th, 2022, 11:50 am Verified by a second source
Was your second source BALLCOACH??? :oldhag :rofl
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: April 15th, 2022, 1:18 pm
Purple Haize wrote: April 15th, 2022, 11:50 am Verified by a second source
Was your second source BALLCOACH??? :oldhag :rofl
I understand Reading and comprehension is difficult for our little Marshall brethren :D
You can clearly see who the source is.
Purple Haize wrote:Verified by a second source

thesportscritic liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Well, the rumor had been out there for a while, and this time it turned out to be true. I'm excited to have Darius for another year, and the fact that his decision doesn't make a ton of sense to me is totally irrelevant. Now it's up to Ritchie to unpack the problems caused by what was clearly an unhealthy overdependence on him offensively last season and figure out how to get back to more of a team concept while still using his remarkable talents.
rogers3, Sly Fox, Dalegarz1 liked this
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: April 16th, 2022, 7:21 am Well, the rumor had been out there for a while, and this time it turned out to be true. I'm excited to have Darius for another year, and the fact that his decision doesn't make a ton of sense to me is totally irrelevant. Now it's up to Ritchie to unpack the problems caused by what was clearly an unhealthy overdependence on him offensively last season and figure out how to get back to more of a team concept while still using his remarkable talents.
The overdependence was precisely why I was glad to see him move on. If we are balanced, well be tough to beat. Really appreciated his comments about a return to the LU court.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
"We need some Dawgs" Some BIG Dawgs. That way we don't have to rely on DM as much. Ritchie didn't have a choice last year; Darius was the only scoring threat we had.
ballah09 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Dont like to talk 🏀 in April,but unless more emphasis is placed on offense, and schemes are changed, it's hard for me to vision much difference from this pass season.
We need to add tempo to offense.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Bringing someone like an Alec Rosner in would be ideal with DM returning. But even if we don't land someone like that, we have some interesting new guys coming in. Porter is a full-court guard who can push the tempo. Race and control. Cleveland is also an interesting prospect. Nice size, athletic, tough, quick first step, and versatile scorer.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: April 17th, 2022, 3:26 pm Dont like to talk 🏀 in April,but unless more emphasis is placed on offense, and schemes are changed, it's hard for me to vision much difference from this pass season.
Uptempo how? That would necessitate a change in defensive philosophy. And since that’s where RMK butters his bread I can’t see that happening.
So, knowing you won’t answer, I’ll ask anyways. What type of uptempo offense do you think works with RMK’s defense?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: April 17th, 2022, 3:26 pm Dont like to talk 🏀 in April,but unless more emphasis is placed on offense, and schemes are changed, it's hard for me to vision much difference from this pass season.
We used the same "schemes" and played at about the same tempo the 3 years before that and won championships. Only 2 teams in the country have won more games over the last 4 years, but yeah, let's just start over from scratch and let you decide how we should play. :roll:
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Playing strong defense and pushing the tempo are not mutually exclusive. We'll have guards this year that can shift gears and go back and forth speed-wise. Smart basketball is opportunistic. You attack opponent's weaknesses. And succeed on your strengths.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: April 18th, 2022, 8:51 pm Playing strong defense and pushing the tempo are not mutually exclusive.
Correct. But playing pack line and leaning into transition offense are philosophically at odds. Consider ToP and PPP.
Purple Haize liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Depending on who's leading the charge, you gotta take it if it's there, even in transition. Not wise to go all in, all the time, on any system. System doesn't win games. Performance does.

As far as racing the ball up from arch to arch, you can do that and still run this Princeton style thing that we keep flirting with. It would actually be advantageous to race it because it creates the potential for more time in the pass game, which can ultimately lead to more efficient back door cuts, screens, and better options from the behind arch.
TH Spangler liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]