If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

JK37 wrote: December 25th, 2021, 9:17 pm Sorry, I don’t have a Betamax player.

There’s the middle ball screen with a lingering hedge. AGAIN. AND-1.
Look at you all high dollar! We had Film then VHS!

That hedge was painful. The help the helper rotation was worse
I'm keep reading people complaining about free throws like it's the reason we're losing. We are shooting 68% and the NBA average is 73%. If we were to shoot the NBA average we would've scored 10 more points over our 14 games. That may be good enough for one or two wins but it's hardly what's keeping us from being a good team.

We can start with rebounding. We've been outrebounded by double digits in our last 2 losses and have generally been outrebounded against every non cupcake team we've played so far. We also have one guy accounting for 30% of our scoring on the season and 44% of our scoring in the last two games. I understand riding the hot hand but I hope McGhee has a good chiropractor with how much he is carrying this team on his back. This could all be overlooked if the defense was as good as they have been over the last few seasons but so far we are as average as we can be in defense efficiency.
LU Grad 11 liked this
I will leave it to one of the coaches on the board to explain but part of the pack line defensive philosophy is not to attack the offensive glass in favor of getting back on defense. Therefore, against good teams we will almost always be out-rebounded by choice.

To TH’s point, Traore’s efforts on their offensive glass killed us. That and their ability to get the ball down to the block at will in the second half.
Purple Haize, LUOrange liked this
The tougher team usually wins. Not worried about Darius, Shiloh, or Blake.

Gotta have mental toughness. Don't care about the stats. Should've won the Stanford game. We have too many guys that don't deliver when it's their turn to step up and score. Some appear tense, others apprehensive, and so on. Would like to see better focus, resolve, grit, etc.
ballcoach15, LUOrange liked this
LU 57 wrote: December 26th, 2021, 9:14 am I will leave it to one of the coaches on the board to explain but part of the pack line defensive philosophy is not to attack the offensive glass in favor of getting back on defense. Therefore, against good teams we will almost always be out-rebounded by choice.

To TH’s point, Traore’s efforts on their offensive glass killed us. That and their ability to get the ball down to the block at will in the second half.
For a completely different philosophy watch Michigan State or anyone from the Izzo tree. They send at least 4
ballcoach15 wrote: December 26th, 2021, 10:12 am Send 1 man back on defense, have 4 crash the boards. Don't concede offensive rebounds. Go after them.
Ballcoach, do you understand that this is NOT how the pack line defense operates? Coach McKay has a "PhD" in pack line from UVa, so don't expect him to coach like he's from Gretna. :nono Play Basketball Study
flamehunter liked this
TH Spangler wrote: December 26th, 2021, 1:12 pm Should we always expect to be out rebounded on the offensive board 2 to 1 playing the pack line? I think they had 10 to our 5 last night.
No. Because defense isn’t over until you secure the rebound.
thepostman, LUOrange liked this
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would s[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]