If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

LU 57 wrote: December 25th, 2021, 8:42 pm
LU Grad 11 wrote: December 25th, 2021, 8:38 pm Doubling with our post man at the three point line is a stupid strategy. 45 is killing us. Don't leave him.
The color commentator agrees. So do I.
I don’t see them doubling. They are just hedging the screen. Pretty fundamental
Purple Haize wrote: December 25th, 2021, 8:44 pm
LU Grad 11 wrote: December 25th, 2021, 8:38 pm Doubling with our post man at the three point line is a stupid strategy. 45 is killing us. Don't leave him.
I played in HS so I know what I am talking about :lol:

So we need better rotation, correct?
LU 57 wrote: December 25th, 2021, 8:47 pm

A hedge is a momentary double. I’ve never liked doing it on middle ball screens. But if you do, the defender on the weakside corner shooter has to cover the roll.

The key is that, in the middle, the hedge must be even mire “momentary”. Preston especially lingers too long, making a full double. From the middle of the floor, the pass to the roller is too easy of the hedge lingers.
Last edited by JK37 on December 25th, 2021, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LU 57, LU Grad 11 liked this
Depends on what they want to do. Point in fact, double teaming wouldn’t be a bad option. The screener is a pretty big target so disrupting the vision of the passer would be the first step. So hedge harder, trap it or check your “help the helper”. But BYU is a pretty good 3 pt shooting team with good spacing which is giving them that 1/2 step in the roll
JK37 wrote: December 25th, 2021, 8:49 pm

A hedge is a momentary double. I’ve never liked doing it on middle ball screens. But if you do, the defender on the weakside corner shooter has to cover the roll.

The key is that, in the middle, the hedge must be even mire “momentary”. Preston especially lingers too long, making a full double. From the middle of the floor, the pass to the roller is too easy of the hedge lingers.
He’s gotta poop or get off the pot. He’s not doubling and not hedging. Do one or the other
JK37 wrote: December 25th, 2021, 8:49 pm

Exactly, Rode and Preston linger too long when trying to hedge. Abii is much quicker at hedging.
Last edited by LU Grad 11 on December 25th, 2021, 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JK37 wrote: December 25th, 2021, 8:55 pm
Purple Haize wrote: December 25th, 2021, 8:38 pm Good lordt I hated defending the 4 out offense. Probably because I was always the 1 in (See Lioscomb late 80’s early 90’s)
Even more fun when the 1 starts ball-screening the wing on each swing. Like BYU is doing now :lol:
Heck I would have LOVED that. Watch some of those old Lipscomb teams. They had that down to an art. We had several teams that emulated that. It was a freaking battle down there with not one ball screen being set.

Lipscomb produced these studs
John Pierce and Philip Hutcheson.
LU Grad 11 wrote: December 25th, 2021, 9:35 pm Lose 80-75. These last two sting. For all the bluster about defense, it's been our downfall.
They do, but we just lost close games to Stanford and BYU. I’m not big on moral victories, but you gotta like where we are as a program when we’re doing that in a “rebuilding year.”
Liberty22, LUOrange liked this
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]