If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Stanford shot 60% from 3. That's not gonna happen very often. We also only shot 41% from the field.

I actually think we have a better team than Stanford, and we probably beat them more often than not on a neutral floor.

But it seems when we get a lead, our shot selection starts to get crummy. It's like everyone on the team gets a big head and starts chucking. McGhee is great, but some shots are still better than others. He made some amazing shots, but he's taken an incredible amount of shots too.

In years past we moved the ball very well and the offense was much more balanced. We've always been unselfish in making the extra pass. I think we could be that, but it doesn't seem like we have an interest.
Liberty22 liked this
Kricket wrote: December 24th, 2021, 9:58 am Stanford shot 60% from 3. That's not gonna happen very often. We also only shot 41% from the field.

I actually think we have a better team than Stanford, and we probably beat them more often than not on a neutral floor.

But it seems when we get a lead, our shot selection starts to get crummy. It's like everyone on the team gets a big head and starts chucking. McGhee is great, but some shots are still better than others. He made some amazing shots, but he's taken an incredible amount of shots too.

In years past we moved the ball very well and the offense was much more balanced. We've always been unselfish in making the extra pass. I think we could be that, but it doesn't seem like we have an interest.
In years past, we had people to make the extra pass to, that could make a shot. Now, we have the leaders of the local brick masons union, Preston, Rode, et al.
1. In most games we've had others step up to help McThree or fill in. Not so much last night. I've always thought Rode would step up more, but he hasn't. He shows up in spurts. Based off of last season, our clear second option was Preston, but now he doesn't seem to be getting the minutes, even when we're playing against more physical big men. This just befuddles me. Right now, Abii is just too sloppy to be playing more than Preston. However, once Abii and Peebles get their games/sloppiness/inexperience adjusted, they'll hard to stop and keep on the bench.
2. Free throws are still a huge problem, IMO. We probably win this one just by hitting our frees.
3. The back breaker in this game, IMO, was the Zebra Crew in the second half. When they got whistle happy with less than 10 or so to go, they killed the game momentum, more specifically ours. Stanford was able to adjust better to the repeated stop and barely goes. They picked it up and then our shots started building UHI a new arena.
4. I agree that we beat them most nights on a neytral floor. Although, the Harrison kid will be really good when he, like Abii, Peebles, Venzant, Moore, get more PT down.
ballcoach15 liked this
LUOrange wrote: December 24th, 2021, 3:23 pm 1. In most games we've had others step up to help McThree or fill in. Not so much last night. I've always thought Rode would step up more, but he hasn't. He shows up in spurts. Based off of last season, our clear second option was Preston, but now he doesn't seem to be getting the minutes, even when we're playing against more physical big men. This just befuddles me. Right now, Abii is just too sloppy to be playing more than Preston. However, once Abii and Peebles get their games/sloppiness/inexperience adjusted, they'll hard to stop and keep on the bench.
2. Free throws are still a huge problem, IMO. We probably win this one just by hitting our frees.
3. The back breaker in this game, IMO, was the Zebra Crew in the second half. When they got whistle happy with less than 10 or so to go, they killed the game momentum, more specifically ours. Stanford was able to adjust better to the repeated stop and barely goes. They picked it up and then our shots started building UHI a new arena.
4. I agree that we beat them most nights on a neytral floor. Although, the Harrison kid will be really good when he, like Abii, Peebles, Venzant, Moore, get more PT down.
Stanford missed more FTs than we did. Their starting lineup - 6'2", 6'7". 6'7", 6'9" and 6'9" with all having 3 pt range is going to beat us most times. Outrebounded us 38-22. "the Harrison kid" ???
The one facet of the game that Abii brings that Preston doesn't is Abii has some decent ball handling skills. He can even play a little point forward and hit the occasional 3-ball.
Chippy wrote: December 24th, 2021, 3:52 pm
LUOrange wrote: December 24th, 2021, 3:23 pm 1. In most games we've had others step up to help McThree or fill in. Not so much last night. I've always thought Rode would step up more, but he hasn't. He shows up in spurts. Based off of last season, our clear second option was Preston, but now he doesn't seem to be getting the minutes, even when we're playing against more physical big men. This just befuddles me. Right now, Abii is just too sloppy to be playing more than Preston. However, once Abii and Peebles get their games/sloppiness/inexperience adjusted, they'll hard to stop and keep on the bench.
Stanford missed more FTs than we did. Their starting lineup - 6'2", 6'7". 6'7", 6'9" and 6'9" with all having 3 pt range is going to beat us most times. Outrebounded us 38-22. "the Harrison kid" ???
Our free throw shooting so far this season has been horrendous and clearly would've made a difference vs LSU, Iona, & Stanford. Only McThree has truly been reliable at the stripe. Our best rebounder only played 14 minutes. Harrison Ingram, Stanford's 5 star freshman.
flameshaw wrote: December 24th, 2021, 11:48 am
Kricket wrote: December 24th, 2021, 9:58 am Stanford shot 60% from 3. That's not gonna happen very often. We also only shot 41% from the field.

In years past, we had people to make the extra pass to, that could make a shot. Now, we have the leaders of the local brick masons union, Preston, Rode, et al.
Well, if players on the team have that attitude that would explain it.

Preston shot 61% from the floor last year. Rode shot 49% and 37% from three.

McGhee is 45% from the field and 38% from three.

A good shot from either of Preston or Rode is much better than a forced shot from McGhee. I just think we haven't prioritized good shots, so nobody else is playing up to their potential yet.

My other thought is that maybe those shot percentages go up when we start playing Charmin soft competition in the A-Sun and it's less about shot selection and more about competition level. I guess we will find out soon.
Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]

I'm not sure why anyone thought online would eve[…]

Longwood

Did you make the trip to Farmville?

G5 Playoff Only

We DO NOT want this. This is Division 1AA all ove[…]