If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

I know Iona is good. However, I can’t help but feel like we choked again.
Kricket liked this
Kricket wrote: November 19th, 2021, 8:14 pm Perhaps I was a bit naive about this team this year but I was hoping we would be at least a bubble team. Definitely isn't happening at this point.

I'll have to adjust and hope we can improve enough before conference play to win the A-Sun.
"At this point" *nothing* is happening. Way, way to early to say that. LSU and Iona are a combined 8-0. Probably 2 or the 3 toughest teams on our schedule. (although there are 1 or 2 more good ones we could end up facing in tournaments.) The Gaels are the best team in the MAAC, and would be right with us at the top if they were in the ASUN. LSU is a threat to win the SEC.
Burnt DJ Moore's RS. He's a llegit ball handler. I can see him eventually starting at PG and move McGhee to the 2 where he doesn't have to work so hard bringing up the ball and then going 1 on 1 or 1 on 2 with a defender(s) who's usually 8" taller than him. Use some off ball screens to get him some more open shots. His shots today were all forced including the half court shot. Still tinkering the starting lineup and the rotation. Really need more than 1 shooter/scorer similar to past teams. IMHO.
olldflame wrote: November 19th, 2021, 8:39 pm
Kricket wrote: November 19th, 2021, 8:14 pm Perhaps I was a bit naive about this team this year but I was hoping we would be at least a bubble team. Definitely isn't happening at this point.

I'll have to adjust and hope we can improve enough before conference play to win the A-Sun.
"At this point" *nothing* is happening. Way, way to early to say that. LSU and Iona are a combined 8-0. Probably 2 or the 3 toughest teams on our schedule. (although there are 1 or 2 more good ones we could end up facing in tournaments.) The Gaels are the best team in the MAAC, and would be right with us at the top if they were in the ASUN. LSU is a threat to win the SEC.
That's kind of my point. You have to beat good teams to be considered for an at-large. We don't have many resume builders left on the schedule. That's not an insult to the team. It's more to say that mathematically we already may be out of the at large conversation. The math combined with how the team looks leads me to that obvious conclusion.

I can appreciate the optimism on your end though.
Liberty22 liked this
1. It's still really early with 2 good opponents for our young team.
2. We win this game if we hit our free throws. Hitting around 40% of your free throws is a killer.
3. Moore looked impressive for a HS senior playing D1 ball.
lueer wrote: November 19th, 2021, 9:28 pm You are correct. No at large bid. Win tournament or bust.
You might as well just say we had no shot at an at large to begin with. Noone was expecting us to beat LSU, in which case, if losing one game to a good team like Iona was going to be a deal-breaker, we would pretty much have had to go undefeated the rest of the way except for Missouri (a game I believe we will win BTW).

Am I saying we will get an at-large if we don't win the ASUN autobid? No. Because I don't know, and neither do you.
olldflame wrote: November 20th, 2021, 7:09 am
lueer wrote: November 19th, 2021, 9:28 pm You are correct. No at large bid. Win tournament or bust.
You might as well just say we had no shot at an at large to begin with. Noone was expecting us to beat LSU, in which case, if losing one game to a good team like Iona was going to be a deal-breaker, we would pretty much have had to go undefeated the rest of the way except for Missouri (a game I believe we will win BTW).

Am I saying we will get an at-large if we don't win the ASUN autobid? No. Because I don't know, and neither do you.
Yeah, no room for opinions supported by very strong probabilities on message boards. :roll:
Just a few years ago I remember thinking we needed to win our conference tournament to be in the big dance. That was the season results. Only one out of conference loss to LSU. We ended up securing the auto-bid and the tournament was cancelled due to covid.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... edule.html

My point is, there's so little margin for error for us. This is why I'm excited for C-USA basketball. We should have a few teams better than Iona every year in conference which gives us more opportunity for resume builders. It's pretty much win the A-Sun or bust. That's why they're called one bid leagues...

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Half of the ads are about how Bob Good is tough on[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]