If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
So Manson has posted his picks for 25-6. Here they are:

https://www.aseaofred.com/ranking-the-t ... time-10-6/

Having that to look at, the top 5 is a no-brainer. In alphabetical order:

Bailey Alston
Peter Aluma
Larry Blair
Karl Hess
Caleb Homesley

I could pick quite a few nits, but overall it's a really solid list. We could definitely go round and round on the order of the top 5 (which is why I did the alphabetical cop-out.)

IMHO
Most glaring omission.
Ed Vickers

Least deserving.
Davon Marshall

I can't imagine anyone who saw them both concluding Marshall is the better player, especially considering he only played 2 years and pretty much mailed it in for the second one. Ed would be at least top 15 on my list. Maybe top 10.
flamehunter, LUOrange liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Marshall had one of the biggest runs for the school when he scorched through the big south tourney, but other than that run, he’s an average player. Being an average player on a terrible team inflated his counting stats a bit.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
What stands out to me are the players who would’ve ranked higher probably, had they been here longer. Curry obviously, but also Gabe Martin. He was more talented than guys like Cuffee and Cabbill, just didn’t have the career longevity. And I think Anthony Smith was better than McGhee, but I don’t mind withholding my final judgment on McGhee until after his senior season.
LUOrange liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: July 1st, 2021, 12:04 pm What stands out to me are the players who would’ve ranked higher probably, had they been here longer. Curry obviously, but also Gabe Martin. He was more talented than guys like Cuffee and Cabbill, just didn’t have the career longevity. And I think Anthony Smith was better than McGhee, but I don’t mind withholding my final judgment on McGhee until after his senior season.
Ed Vickers falls into that category JK. Transfer from NC A&T who played 3 years (just 86 games) at Liberty and yet finished 2nd all-time in total rebounds. His 12.7 rpg is head and shoulders above everyone, and he was only 6'5". Playing in the era when every shot counted for just 2 points, he focused his scoring efforts inside, but he could shoot, and I believe he would have scored a lot more under the modern rules.
Last edited by olldflame on July 1st, 2021, 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: July 1st, 2021, 11:55 am Marshall had one of the biggest runs for the school when he scorched through the big south tourney, but other than that run, he’s an average player. Being an average player on a terrible team inflated his counting stats a bit.
Excellent 3 point shooter with deep range. "Fair-to-middlin" D1 player overall. For me, an even bigger reason he should not be on this list is the way he publicly threw his team and coach under the bus his Senior year by saying basketball was no longer "fun" for him.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
One omission that could maybe take JC or Davon’s place from those same years- Tomasz Gielo. I felt like he never really put it all together, but he was probably the most talented on the roster during those Layer years.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I would have to put Matt Hilldebrand in serious conversation for the top 5, maybe replacing Homeseley. 90% FT shooter, the guy you wanted with the ball at the end of the game. Very high basketball IQ, etc. But I wouldn't want to live off the difference between the two. Just my initial thought. FWIW
It is also difficult to compare players from different era's and competition. George Sweet was a much better player than Kim Chafin and should be somewhere in the Top 25.
LUOrange liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: July 1st, 2021, 12:53 pm One omission that could maybe take JC or Davon’s place from those same years- Tomasz Gielo. I felt like he never really put it all together, but he was probably the most talented on the roster during those Layer years.
Loved Gielo’s game. For some reason it was just never all put together. I just don’t think they knew how to utilize him or that they wanted him as a Foundation for the team. But for whatever reason, it just never materialized like I thought it would have
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
So, who are the truest impact players? The guys that pushed the program up? Maybe 10-15 guys? IMO the best of the best would be the three-level scoring guards who come through in the clutch...finish games...lead the team..and create opportunities...in other words...winning guard play

Pure Guards: Curry, Hildebrand, and Cabbil...no particular order

Swing guys: Homesley, Smith, Cuffe, Martin...no particular order

Bigs: Nwosu, Coleman, James, Dixon, Alumna...no particular order

...add Jesse Sanders to next tier...make an exception for NAIA Eric Gordon...asterisk McGhee who is still playing...that makes 15.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: July 1st, 2021, 8:15 pm So, who are the truest impact players? The guys that pushed the program up? Maybe 10-15 guys? IMO the best of the best would be the three-level scoring guards who come through in the clutch...finish games...lead the team..and create opportunities...in other words...winning guard play

Pure Guards: Curry, Hildebrand, and Cabbil...no particular order

Swing guys: Homesley, Smith, Cuffe, Martin...no particular order

Bigs: Nwosu, Coleman, James, Dixon, Alumna...no particular order

...add Jesse Sanders to next tier...make an exception for NAIA Eric Gordon...asterisk McGhee who is still playing...that makes 15.
15 players and no mention of Bailey Alston.
You just lost all cred.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
I liked him. Fun player to watch, and I can see why he's a fan favorite for some, but far from complete. Probably among the most athletic if not the most athletic LU player ever.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: July 1st, 2021, 2:49 pm
stokesjokes wrote: July 1st, 2021, 12:53 pm One omission that could maybe take JC or Davon’s place from those same years- Tomasz Gielo. I felt like he never really put it all together, but he was probably the most talented on the roster during those Layer years.
Loved Gielo’s game. For some reason it was just never all put together. I just don’t think they knew how to utilize him or that they wanted him as a Foundation for the team. But for whatever reason, it just never materialized like I thought it would have
I remember your man-crush on Tomasz.
Maybe they didn't know how to utilize him.
Maybe they didn't want him as a "foundation for the team".
Or maybe.............................. just MAYBE
he was really just a solid stretch 4 who could shoot the 3, but made a ton of turnovers when he tried to handle the ball too much.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: July 1st, 2021, 9:08 pm
he was really just a solid stretch 4 who could shoot the 3, but made a ton of turnovers when he tried to handle the ball too much.
Tomasz was too timid, I don’t think he had the assertiveness to be the foundation for a team, whether they wanted him for that role or not. He was never looking for his shot. If he had more of a killer instinct, he could have been special. Then again, if he had more of a killer instinct he could have gone high-major.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: July 1st, 2021, 8:58 pm I liked him. Fun player to watch, and I can see why he's a fan favorite for some, but far from complete. Probably among the most athletic if not the most athletic LU player ever.
Also the best scorer (would have smashed Hess' record if he had played 4 years.) In addition, he was (by far) our best player as we made the transition from D2 to D1. ("Moved the program forward")

No, he did not play a lot of D.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: July 1st, 2021, 9:35 pm
olldflame wrote: July 1st, 2021, 9:08 pm

Tomasz was too timid, I don’t think he had the assertiveness to be the foundation for a team, whether they wanted him for that role or not. He was never looking for his shot. If he had more of a killer instinct, he could have been special. Then again, if he had more of a killer instinct he could have gone high-major.
Is the SEC high-major? 8) Because he went there. Had an OK year at Ole Miss, but was in and out with a nagging injury.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: July 1st, 2021, 9:37 pm
paradox wrote: July 1st, 2021, 8:58 pm I liked him. Fun player to watch, and I can see why he's a fan favorite for some, but far from complete. Probably among the most athletic if not the most athletic LU player ever.
Also the best scorer (would have smashed Hess' record if he had played 4 years.) In addition, he was (by far) our best player as we made the transition from D2 to D1. ("Moved the program forward")

No, he did not play a lot of D.
From what I'm told that '83 NAIA team really moved things forward in terms of preparation...and set the stage for the '92 run...from what I've heard, '83 NAIA competition was much stronger than early BSC. Should've gone to the NCAAs in '92. Missed opportunity. Students and administration were just happy to be there. Few realize that it should've been much more than that.
Last edited by paradox on July 1st, 2021, 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Was LBC no longer in the NCCAA in 1983? Play Basketball That was my senior year at Tenn. Temple. Study
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
NAIA was really strong in '83. That was the year that Chaminade beat #1 UVA and #5 Louisville in regular season, but lost to College of Charleston in the final. We lost a close game to Chaminade in the final-8, I think?

Eric Gordon had a memorable game battling future NBA all-star Terry Porter in a game that we won.
LUOrange liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: July 1st, 2021, 10:10 pm NAIA was really strong in '83. That was the year that Chaminade beat #1 UVA and #5 Louisville in regular season, but lost to College of Charleston in the final. We lost a close game to Chaminade in the final-8, I think?

Eric Gordon had a memorable game battling future NBA all-star Terry Porter in a game that we won.
NAIA in the 80’s and early 90’s was pretty good.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]