If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Very impressive. We'd be fortunate to land him at some point. Leads with a calm under-control intensity. There's a steady natural rhythm in his game. Can create for himself and others.

The part that's hardest to evaluate with youtube is shooting ability. You only get to see the made shots. However, he does appear to have a nice quick release. Soft high arc. Off dribble pull-up appears sound.

Again, we'd be very fortunate to add a fire-starter like this.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Comparisons can be tough. Especially that one. Just wouldn't be fair at this stage. Nash is a legend for sure. Kinda plays like a smaller Jesse Sanders. Jesse was who he was because of his work ethic. If this kid has that, then we have a player here.
Last edited by paradox on January 18th, 2022, 5:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I hope I don't sound like Ballcoach, but what is up with these head bands? :oldhag Even my banker wears one! :shock:
LUOrange liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Phoenix gets the assignment to give us a scouting reports. He reminds me more of his Appalachian predecessor White Chocolate is his flare.

Welcome to the Mountain, CP!

By LU 57
Sly Fox wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 8:30 pm Phoenix gets the assignment to give us a scouting reports. He reminds me more of his Appalachian predecessor White Chocolate is his flare.

You talking Mac McClung?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Who were the 8 DIs that offered? :dontgetit
By cruzan_flame13
LU 57 wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 9:12 pm
Sly Fox wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 8:30 pm Phoenix gets the assignment to give us a scouting reports. He reminds me more of his Appalachian predecessor White Chocolate is his flare.

You talking Mac McClung?
White Chocolate was Jason Williams
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 9:31 pm Who were the 8 DIs that offered? :dontgetit
verbalcommits.com lists 7.
Liberty
Radford
Lipscomb
Marshall
Morehead State
Akron
Western Carolina

Keep in mind, he is just starting his JR year of HS. Even with the commit, we can expect he will get more offers, especially if he has a great JR season and then "blows up" in his final summer of AAU ball.
By LU 57
cruzan_flame13 wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 9:43 pm
LU 57 wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 9:12 pm

You talking Mac McClung?
White Chocolate was Jason Williams
Oh yeah. Forgot about him.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Looks like a better, more athletic, Hansel Atencia (who BTW also had the "white chocolate" nickname in HS). Jason Williams was several inches taller than Colin.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
The only LU guard I would compare him to is Jesse Sanders. Maybe, a smaller quicker version. Seems to have that same warrior mentality. Energetic up-tempo kid.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Huntington (WV) Herald-Dispatch wrote:Ashland's Porter says give me Liberty

By TIM STEPHENS
tstephens@hdmediallc.com

ASHLAND — Ashland High School basketball star Colin Porter committed to Liberty University.

Flames coach Ritchie McKay offered the 5-foot-11, 160-pound junior point guard a scholarship in June. Porter accepted during a visit to the Lynchburg, Virginia, school on Sunday. He chose Liberty over offers from Marshall, Akron, Morehead State, Lipscomb, Western Carolina, Western Kentucky and Radford, among others.

Ashland coach Jason Mays said he is thrilled for Porter and not surprised the standout guard chose a Christian university.

“We went 33-0 with Colin as a freshman points guard, then 22-5 and made the Final Four with him as a sophomore,” Mays said. “He led his AAU team to the national championship game this past summer. Most importantly, he tries to love others as Christ loves him.”
Click Here for Full Story
By Geraldos Mustache
He’s 5-11 as a first semester Junior in HS. Kid could easily be 6-1 by the time he arrives on The Mountain.

Excited to see him added to the program’s future. Hopefully Liberty wins another 2 ASUN Tournaments and the string is 5-straight NCAA Tournament appearances by the time he arrives.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote: January 14th, 2022, 3:19 am Per ASOR he has reclassified to the class of 22.
Not surprised at all to hear this. It will mean at least 2 more current players won't be back. I'm pretty sure it will be the two Seniors (although they both have the option to return for their covid year).
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I find it interesting that Coach McKay has apparently ncouragd reclassification to PGs on consecutive years. I am curious if the transfer portal is influencing these decisions. Is he essentially using the HS senior season as a redshirt college experience?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It technically isn't a redshirt but more in line with the light use and familiarization to the schemes we have seen from DJ this season.

I also wonder if there might be some concerns that high majors might come sniffing around while waiting through another recruiting cycle. Let's sign them as soon as possible.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]