If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
#638737
Ritchie initiating this move may be a good indication that Darius is not returning. As I think about it, the main reason for him to come back might be to break Hess's scoring record (which he certainly would) but let's face it, that would be an "asterisk" record due to the extra year, and I believe his performance in Hawaii has solidified him as a legit NBA prospect.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
#638747
This kid is a great fit for what Ritchie is doing right now. Watched a UVA game last weekend. It's pretty safe to say that we are no longer a replica of that. If anything, Ritchie is transcending it, not from a talent standpoint, but from a coaching standpoint.
Baybird liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
#638753
olldflame wrote: January 15th, 2022, 9:14 am Ritchie initiating this move may be a good indication that Darius is not returning. As I think about it, the main reason for him to come back might be to break Hess's scoring record (which he certainly would) but let's face it, that would be an "asterisk" record due to the extra year, and I believe his performance in Hawaii has solidified him as a legit NBA prospect.
Agreed with everything here except NBA. Great international pro career if he wants it. But this isn’t the league of Spud and Muggsy anymore.
Purple Haize, Kricket liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
#638756
JK37 wrote: January 15th, 2022, 11:24 am
olldflame wrote: January 15th, 2022, 9:14 am Ritchie initiating this move may be a good indication that Darius is not returning. As I think about it, the main reason for him to come back might be to break Hess's scoring record (which he certainly would) but let's face it, that would be an "asterisk" record due to the extra year, and I believe his performance in Hawaii has solidified him as a legit NBA prospect.
Agreed with everything here except NBA. Great international pro career if he wants it. But this isn’t the league of Spud and Muggsy anymore.
I agree he will almost certainly make his $$ overseas, but much like Chris Clemons, I think he will get an opportunity. I actually think Muggsy could play in today's league. He was so unique. Maybe the best horizontal player ever.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
#638776
olldflame wrote: January 15th, 2022, 12:51 pm
JK37 wrote: January 15th, 2022, 11:24 am
olldflame wrote: January 15th, 2022, 9:14 am Ritchie initiating this move may be a good indication that Darius is not returning. As I think about it, the main reason for him to come back might be to break Hess's scoring record (which he certainly would) but let's face it, that would be an "asterisk" record due to the extra year, and I believe his performance in Hawaii has solidified him as a legit NBA prospect.
Agreed with everything here except NBA. Great international pro career if he wants it. But this isn’t the league of Spud and Muggsy anymore.
I agree he will almost certainly make his $$ overseas, but much like Chris Clemons, I think he will get an opportunity. I actually think Muggsy could play in today's league. He was so unique. Maybe the best horizontal player ever.
Mugsy was basically a 5’2” muscle. Strong as an ox. Darius is very slight. He’ll get bumped off the ball and abused on defense. On the International Stage he will be electric.
User avatar
By Geraldos Mustache
Posts
#638833
Back to Collin Porter…
Help me understand this reclassification to ‘22 from ‘23 better. Is Porter going to graduate from HS a year early so he can get to Liberty a year early? Why?

Why would a kid give up his senior year in HS, all the glory that comes with that as a star athlete - to arrive at college a year early and sit on the bench. I don’t get it.

Is this kid so good that another year of HS would slow down his development? I’m concerned about squandering a year of physical development. Think about the height, weight and strength which develops when a kid goes from age 17 to 18. We are essentially bringing a pre-mature player into the program. What is the benefit of that? What is the harm of letting him be a HS senior and mature more before his arrival to the Mountain?
jmclaughlin liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
#638837
Geraldos Mustache wrote: January 16th, 2022, 10:45 am Back to Collin Porter…
Help me understand this reclassification to ‘22 from ‘23 better. Is Porter going to graduate from HS a year early so he can get to Liberty a year early? Why?

Why would a kid give up his senior year in HS, all the glory that comes with that as a star athlete - to arrive at college a year early and sit on the bench. I don’t get it.

Is this kid so good that another year of HS would slow down his development? I’m concerned about squandering a year of physical development. Think about the height, weight and strength which develops when a kid goes from age 17 to 18. We are essentially bringing a pre-mature player into the program. What is the benefit of that? What is the harm of letting him be a HS senior and mature more before his arrival to the Mountain?
From Ritchie's standpoint, if Darius is not returning (which looks more and more to be the case), we have a need at PG, and he thinks Colin is ready and can help fill it. As far as Colin is concerned, he is no doubt looking at where he can grow/improve more as a player, student and Christian and believes the "trade off" of Senior year glory is worth it.
User avatar
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
#638848
Geraldos Mustache wrote: January 16th, 2022, 10:45 am Back to Collin Porter…
Help me understand this reclassification to ‘22 from ‘23 better. Is Porter going to graduate from HS a year early so he can get to Liberty a year early? Why?

Why would a kid give up his senior year in HS, all the glory that comes with that as a star athlete - to arrive at college a year early and sit on the bench. I don’t get it.

Is this kid so good that another year of HS would slow down his development? I’m concerned about squandering a year of physical development. Think about the height, weight and strength which develops when a kid goes from age 17 to 18. We are essentially bringing a pre-mature player into the program. What is the benefit of that? What is the harm of letting him be a HS senior and mature more before his arrival to the Mountain?
In general this is a valid question and good points. I think this is more of a need thing, as others have stated, with Dobbs and McGhee potentially both being gone. In most cases it's better to let a kid develop through his senior year.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
#638855
Bring him in early and you reduce the chance a bigtime program swoops in and dazzles him to go there instead during or after a stellar senior year. Though he doesn't seem like the type of kid who would do that. He seems to really want to be here.
Geraldos Mustache liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
#638860
That's a valid point. And equally as valid would be the ripple effect with other incoming prospects. Zack Cleveland looks promising. This move only helps to solidify things across the board.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
#638861
paradox wrote: January 16th, 2022, 8:43 pm He'll be 18 when he gets here. I believe Seth was still 17 his first week on campus.
And Antoine Burrus was 16.
18 is a normal age for a FR, and the fact that he would have been 19 if he had returned for his Sr year almost makes me wonder if sometime in the past he had been classified down , perhaps because his family thought he would benefit from an extra year of maturity. It's not uncommon. Todd Marinovich and his dad were infamous for pioneering the idea.
User avatar
By jmclaughlin
Posts
#638870
Todd Marinoivich! What a great pull from deep in the archives. +1

Reluctantly have to agree that Darius is a long shot for 'the league'. He would be a splashy pick for a team late but I don't see that happening. He will get a a look in someone's camp and may hang around for a few months in the G league but will ultimately have to move across the pond to get paid. There are too many 6-5 stretch guards with comparable skill sets. His O would get overlooked by his natural deficiencies on the other end of the floor. Hope I am wrong!
Purple Haize liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
#638871
Whether he gets drafted or not is TBD. Might need an improbable win in NCAAs or deep NIT run for that. However, what we just witnessed at FGCU was epic. A few more big games like this down the stretch may be enough. Who knows? I wouldn't bet against it. Nevertheless, can't imagine him not having a productive career in the NBA. So, get ready. That's where it's headed.
By jack_sparrow81
Registration Days Posts
#638875
I think he makes the league. I remember when Curry was at Davidson and skeptics we're saying the same thing about being a liability on the defense end at the next level. They thought he would fit in a system like Utah and go later in the draft. Same with JJ Reddick (which Reddick did have to improve on at the next level). There was just something special though that you could see with those guys that you knew they would make it. Here's a question-Davidson doesn't have their run during the tourney that year, does Curry fall to the 2nd round or worse knowing what we knew about him back then?
User avatar
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
#638876
Davidson doesn’t have that run without Curry
Both Curry and JJ were / are bigger and stronger. Darius is not that tall or big. Not taking anything away from him at all and hope he makes it. But I seriously doubt it.
User avatar
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
#638881
Offensively McGhee's ace in the hole are his quick release and his unbelievable vertical. Beyond that I believe teams will be impressed by his temperament and his humility, something in short supply in the League. He is unflappable no matter the situation. No doubt height is a consideration, but he is extremely quick on defense and he's in range to shoot as soon as he gets off the bus. I think he will get a serious shot, if not as a starter to begin with, he would be a great shot in the arm off the bench when all those prima donnas start loafing up and down the court (which is often).
User avatar
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
#638895
Huntington (WV) Herald-Dispatch wrote:Ashland's Porter reclassifies to enroll early at Liberty

by Tim Stephens


Image
RYAN FISCHER - The Herald Dispatch

ASHLAND - The public address announcer in Ashland High School's Anderson Gym announced basketball player Collin Porter as a senior Saturday night, causing some in the crowd to murmur.

Asland's first-team all-stater was a junior all season before the Tomcats' gam with Huntington. Porter, though, reclassified as a senior so he could begin his collge carer at Liberty University one season earlier than originally planned. Porter committed to the Flames in October.

"Some said that was too early to make a commitment of that magnitude," Porter said, referring to people who thought he should wait until his senior season and potentially go to a larger program. "The pople who know m best, though, know that Liberty is the right place for me."

Porter, 18, is a Christian and said that was important to him in his selection of the Baptist collegee in Lynchburg, Virginia.
Here's where the most interesting quote from our discussion comes up.
Liberty coach Ritchie McKay approached Porter and Ashland coach Jason Mays about the possibility of reclassifying to the Class of 2022. Porter said he was against the idea at first, but warmed up to it as he considered the implications.

"[Ashland' has meant so much to me and my family." Porter said. "It didn't feel normal to leave early. but I prayed and felt at peace with the decision. I believe God presented this opportunity to me and it is the right decision for me as a student, an athlete, and most importantly, a young man devoted to Christ."


Click Here for Full Story
LU 57, flamehunter, Geraldos Mustache and 1 others liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
#638905
This is how LU started out in D1, but then lost its way. What was established with Hildo & Juice should've endured and ultimately dovetailed with Penberthy and Aluma. But they forced pieces together that didn't fit LU. And unfortunately, created a mess.

McKay is ideal on so many levels. Very fortunate to have him.
User avatar
By Geraldos Mustache
Posts
#638935
After all the comments here, I’m all in on Porter coming to the Mountain a year early. Makes sense to me now - especially after the Porter interview in which he explains his motivations. These are exciting times!

Good point made about the risk of another big time program swooping in to snatch Porter away if he would have stayed and blown up.

Bottom line is, we’ve got really talented kids coming in who love the Lord and see Liberty as a place that will support and foster the growth of their faith. Awesome!
By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
#638939
paradox wrote:This is how LU started out in D1, but then lost its way. What was established with Hildo & Juice should've endured and ultimately dovetailed with Penberthy and Aluma. But they forced pieces together that didn't fit LU. And unfortunately, created a mess.
Penberthy??? My memory is fading.... who was that?
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
#638949
LU-connected Bible student and pro player who should've been but never was. Some hold the opinion that he among others like him would've starred at LU under a Coach McKay.

In early D1 years, LU's top players were literally handed to them via networking---alumni, churches, family, friends, etc. Ironically, program quickly crashed, after taking unnecessary risks on multiple glaring red flag prospects. And, in doing so, seemed to completely forget who we are and how we got here.

Are we talking about the same USM that was one o[…]

Transfer Portal

Three different sources have told me, " no&qu[…]

Post Season Awards

Thanks CiderJim

Away at Maryland has now been added to the early p[…]