If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I just caught this from Jon Rothstein today:

There have been approximately 1500 players in Division I portal alone this offseason.

What impact will it have on our program moving forward?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
We certainly have benefited from 1-year transfers in recent years. And our pipeline to Coach Mance over in Nashville has help keep the roster fluid. I do agree that the kids love Ritchie and he loves LU which puts us in a unique situation.
stokesjokes wrote: May 25th, 2021, 3:06 pm Seems like we could get some better schedules out of this. I don’t think I’ve ever been less concerned about losing players to transfer than I am with this program right now.
:nod We are certainly not immune to the possibility, but between our selectivity in who we recruit, the great team culture and the opportunity to win championships and go dancing pretty much every year, it's not something I think we should be worried about. If doors open because other schools at our level are, I say go for it!
stokesjokes liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
There are going to be both pros and cons.

To harken back to Seth, anytime you get a player like that, he's going to jump at the opportunity to compete for a national championship and play for an iconic coach and program.

As far as LU goes, you need to maximize the time that you have with a player like that. We missed out on that opportunity with Seth, only because of Jesse's late season injury.
paradox wrote:How does it reduce revenue and decrease NCAA tourney chances?
Buy games can be quite lucrative

Less chances to get resume building games, and by giving major conference teams more chances to schedule other major conference teams, they just benefit by getting even more resume building games on their schedule. Better win that conference tournament if you're going to refuse to play the power conference teams.

And thus less chance at an NCAA Tournament spot = less chance at postseason money
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
I see your point if it plays out that way. On the flip side, one of the big draws to NCAA basketball is the overachieving mid-major. So the NCAA will need to reevaluate in a hurry if mid-major upsets start to decline.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: May 31st, 2021, 9:47 am That's crazy. Wonder what's going on there?
Their coach, Anthony Stewart, died suddenly in November at age 50. As far as I can tell, the cause of death is still unknown (or has not been revealed). It appears the new coach they hired, Ryan Ridder, was not a popular choice with the players. 8)

None of that explains the crazy number, which would require that all 13 scholarship players (assuming they had a full compliment) plus 6 walkons all decided to transfer. Not many teams even carry 6 walkons. It's pretty bizarre. So far, Ridder has 6 incoming transfers and 3 incoming FR to work with.
JK37 wrote: May 31st, 2021, 4:46 pm Anyone else here been to Martin, TN? That s-hole has gotta be good for at least 2-3 of the 19.
If ole BJ's ankle is healed, he might be up for a tryout. Play Basketball
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]