If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Didn't take long for our first outgoing transfer to enter the portal:

Probably one more to come.
Don't get mad ballcoach. This will make us better.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I believe Martin is a D1 talent (really athletic with a beautiful shooting stroke, and started for 2 state championship teams in HS) but even with Cuff not returning (replaced by Venzant) there are just too many 6'4-6'6" guys with more upside on the roster:
McDowell
Jackson
Warfield
Venzant
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I'm not as sure right now as I was that Josh Price will be joining his HS teammate in the portal. With both Parker and Colton Reed (who was pretty much even with Josh in the rotation even though a walk-on) gone, as it stands he would be behind only Darius, Drake and Brody Peebles in the "true guard" rotation. Some of the players I named in the previous post may get the odd minute in the back court, but Ritchie normally likes to have 2 guys who can handle it back there. If Josh does decide to leave, don't be surprised if we look to sign another guard.
By LUOrange
Unfortunately for Maide and others, there's only so many minutes to go around. I've always pulled for Price, merely caused I enjoyed watching his Dad play in the NBA in an era worth watching the NBA. That said we need another big man (at least 6'10) or two to help shoulder some of the load for Preston.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
We don't need "at least 6'10." Scottie and Myo were 6'7" and 6'5". It's more about being physical and having a post game than how tall you are. I'm almost positive we will be getting an inside player from the portal, but if we end up with 2 available scholarships, don't be surprised if the second one goes to a guard.
stokesjokes, JK37 liked this
By jyoung9
I'd really like to see another guy transfer honestly- especially from the end of the roster. There are 700+ guys in the portal and a lot more to come- way more than any year before. Making the tournament three years in a row makes me feel like Ritchie could pick up two of the top 100 players in the portal- one at PG and one at center.

I feel fine about 2-4 for next year. PG and Center are my big questions. I get that Ritchie doesn't think of center as another position, but I'd like to see the pack line with an athletic center that can provide more paint protection at some point.
LUOrange liked this
By Drsloan
I would like to see another big because I really feel like Shiloh is an excellent wing defender and really fits more with a three or four. However, it really depends on the situation because I don’t want to get a grad transfer big for one year if it means losing Preston or Abii for the next 2-4 years. Either they have to be on board and stay or it has to be someone who’s going to be here for a while.
By jyoung9
TWO scholarship spots. I'd like us to lock somebody up and then shoot big for the second spot. There are over 1K players in the portal- we've got a great chance to go dancing again next year. Go get the best player we can.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I don’t know if I’d want both scholarships going to grad transfers. To be honest, if Abii comes around I don’t see a lot of immediate need. Dobbs seems capable of running the point, maybe someone to back him up, but it would be preferable to have that filled by someone who can be developed.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jyoung9 wrote: March 30th, 2021, 12:12 pm TWO scholarship spots. I'd like us to lock somebody up and then shoot big for the second spot. There are over 1K players in the portal- we've got a great chance to go dancing again next year. Go get the best player we can.
I was under the impression that at the moment we only have one available. Did I miss something (as in another player besides Meade transferring)?
By cruzan_flame13
olldflame wrote: March 30th, 2021, 1:53 pm
jyoung9 wrote: March 30th, 2021, 12:12 pm TWO scholarship spots. I'd like us to lock somebody up and then shoot big for the second spot. There are over 1K players in the portal- we've got a great chance to go dancing again next year. Go get the best player we can.
I was under the impression that at the moment we only have one available. Did I miss something (as in another player besides Meade transferring)?
Josh Price and Tytist Dean are transferring as well.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: March 30th, 2021, 2:47 pm
olldflame wrote: March 30th, 2021, 1:53 pm

Josh Price and Tytist Dean are transferring as well.
I am messing up my rep as a resident MBB recruiting guru by taking care of some important business this morning instead of checking verbal commits as is my usual custom. Can't let that happen again. 8)

Of course I have been dropping not-so-subtle hints that Josh would be leaving for over a year. It's a win/win for both parties. I expect one of the schollies may go to the guard from OK Bap., and the other to an inside oriented player with some size. Bummed that we didn't make the cut with Martin, but after seeing he still has STETSON on his list, maybe it's just as well. :roll:
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
We are so blessed to have a program that doesn’t bleed transfers. At our level, so many other teams lose their top guys. I was watching the Baylor game last night and each team had a transfer from a former foe (JD Notae from North Florida and MaCio Teague from UNC Asheville). It speaks to our culture and recruiting philosophy that we aren’t losing our guys.

Who was the last contributor that transferred out? Evan Maxwell 5 years ago?
thepostman liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Going down the alphabetical list of schools with players transferring out and I had to stop and recount 3 times when I got to UT-Martin.

That's not a typo.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: March 30th, 2021, 3:13 pm We are so blessed to have a program that doesn’t bleed transfers. At our level, so many other teams lose their top guys. I was watching the Baylor game last night and each team had a transfer from a former foe (JD Notae from North Florida and MaCio Teague from UNC Asheville). It speaks to our culture and recruiting philosophy that we aren’t losing our guys.

Who was the last contributor that transferred out? Evan Maxwell 5 years ago?
Brock Gardner
stokesjokes liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: March 30th, 2021, 3:52 pm 4 years ago, then. And he was an odd case who transferred down.
Maxwell did "transfer up", but my understanding is that he actually did not have the option of returning after failing to comply with Ritchie's rules about not consorting with certain undesirables off campus. Brock didn't like the fact that he was going to be playing mostly inside at Liberty. He saw himself as a swing player. He also discovered that the Aeronautics program which he cited as a major reason for his signing, was a lot harder than he thought it would be.
stokesjokes liked this
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Good spot to be in. With do many in the portal we can be cert selective. Especially since we arent desperate at any particular spot though some are needed more than others.
By jyoung9
Early DJ Moore! Woah! that's pretty crazy. Maybe they redshirt him and just get him in the program early? Ritchie must really like the kid- getting him here quickly also helps prevent him from picking up a ton of interest after a crazy senior year.
stokesjokes liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: March 31st, 2021, 10:41 am That takes one of the slots. He must be really anxious to get to campus.
This is the kid who committed within 24 hours of getting our offer, so yes. 8)
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jyoung9 wrote: March 31st, 2021, 10:13 am Early DJ Moore! Woah! that's pretty crazy. Maybe they redshirt him and just get him in the program early? Ritchie must really like the kid- getting him here quickly also helps prevent him from picking up a ton of interest after a crazy senior year.
I suspect the fact that he re-classified to come this year is a pretty good indication that Ritchie thinks he can help right away. Otherwise he would likely have encouraged him to go back for his SR year of HS. As far as his being lured away if he did, I would say highly unlikely. This was about as strong as it gets when it comes to a verbal.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
jyoung9 wrote: March 31st, 2021, 10:13 am Early DJ Moore! Woah! that's pretty crazy.
Moore was recruited by the team (Ohio Univ.) that beat UVa in the tournament this year! :shock:
By jyoung9
Brody, Venzant, and Moore are all 6 ft 2+. Could be playing a ton of three-guard lineups in the Elite 8 in 2025.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]