If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jyoung9 wrote: March 31st, 2021, 11:30 am Brody, Venzant, and Moore are all 6 ft 2+. Could be playing a ton of three-guard lineups in the Elite 8 in 2025.
Venzant is now 6'4" and has crazy hops. He will be playing that SF/3rd guard role, much as Cuff did, so yes 8) .
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jyoung9 wrote: March 31st, 2021, 11:39 am I don't know how old DJ is, but I bet he could keep growing as well.
I don't know his exact age either, but if you look at his pics, he could give Kyle Rode a run for "most likely to be mistaken for someone's dad".
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: March 31st, 2021, 12:06 pm ...He [DJ Moore] could give Kyle Rode a run for "most likely to be mistaken for someone's dad".
https://twitter.com/dmo13_/photo
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
This is great news! That means McKay and co can work to fill Moore’s spot next year instead of trying to squeeze something last minute for this year.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Liberty_2023 wrote: March 31st, 2021, 4:34 pm Are there any players we know that are on liberty's radar to transfer in?
ASOR lists several behind the paywall. The one I was really hoping for, 6'9" D2 All-America Cam Martin just came out with his top 6 and we weren't on it. What is somewhat bizarre is that Stetson WAS on it, along with 5 pretty strong programs.
By LU Grad 11
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: March 31st, 2021, 5:36 pm
Liberty_2023 wrote: March 31st, 2021, 4:34 pm Are there any players we know that are on liberty's radar to transfer in?
ASOR lists several behind the paywall. The one I was really hoping for, 6'9" D2 All-America Cam Martin just came out with his top 6 and we weren't on it. What is somewhat bizarre is that Stetson WAS on it, along with 5 pretty strong programs.
Martin committed to Kansas today. Jayhawks weren't even in his top 6. Think we would really benefit from a transfer big. Not sure Preston can take us to the next level.
Last edited by LU Grad 11 on March 31st, 2021, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ballcoach15 liked this
By jyoung9
probably want someone who can play the 5 in spot minutes for blake but could also bomb away as a stretch 4.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LU Grad 11 wrote: March 31st, 2021, 6:29 pm
olldflame wrote: March 31st, 2021, 5:36 pm
Martin committed to Kansas today. Jayhawks weren't even in his top 6. Think we would really benefit from a transfer big. Not sure Preston can take us to the next level.
I think it's pretty safe to say that if he had the offer from Kansas when he tweeted his top 6, they would have been on it.
They probably missed out on the player they really wanted and then "swept in".
By Liberty_25
With Colton graduating and Tytist transferring that means they have two open spots for walk ons correct? Will they host a tryout for walk ons or recruit players for a PWO?
By LUOrange
Liberty_25 wrote: April 13th, 2021, 4:55 pm With Colton graduating and Tytist transferring that means they have two open spots for walk ons correct? Will they host a tryout for walk ons or recruit players for a PWO?
I believe we only have 1 spot now with DJ Moore arriving a year early.
By Liberty_25
But we had extra spots with Maide and price leaving. As well as walk ons. Moore didn’t take a spot of a walk on if I am correct. I believe you are right with the one scholarship spot left however I think still 2 more walk on spots (non scholarships).
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Tytist Dean is headed for Cedarville. I'm curious as to whether they will have him on scholarship. With Maide at Fresno Pacific, that leaves Josh Price as our remaining transfer still in the portal. I suspect he will also land at a D2 school. I think his family is still in Charlotte, so maybe someplace like Queens or Belmont Abby.
By Liberty_25
olldflame wrote: April 26th, 2021, 6:22 pm Tytist Dean is headed for Cedarville. I'm curious as to whether they will have him on scholarship. With Maide at Fresno Pacific, that leaves Josh Price as our remaining transfer still in the portal. I suspect he will also land at a D2 school. I think his family is still in Charlotte, so maybe someplace like Queens or Belmont Abby.
So this means there should be an open walk on spot correct or do you think they are filled up already?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
There could be as many as 3 walk-on spots open, with Colton and Luke graduating and Tytist transferring. I am not aware that any of them have been officially filled. There is speculation that Gabe McKay will transfer in to take one of them.
By Liberty_25
olldflame wrote: April 26th, 2021, 8:11 pm There could be as many as 3 walk-on spots open, with Colton and Luke graduating and Tytist transferring. I am not aware that any of them have been officially filled. There is speculation that Gabe McKay will transfer in to take one of them.
I heard that there is a strong chance that Gabe ends up there but still a chance he stays where he is now. Also heard that there could be a manager that is now walking on. However not 100% sure
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Liberty_25 wrote: April 26th, 2021, 9:07 pm
olldflame wrote: April 26th, 2021, 8:11 pm There could be as many as 3 walk-on spots open, with Colton and Luke graduating and Tytist transferring. I am not aware that any of them have been officially filled. There is speculation that Gabe McKay will transfer in to take one of them.
I heard that there is a strong chance that Gabe ends up there but still a chance he stays where he is now. Also heard that there could be a manager that is now walking on. However not 100% sure
One of the managers can flat out shoot. Of course, for a walk-on in this system, being able to D up and make the starters work hard is probably more important.
By Liberty_25
olldflame wrote: April 26th, 2021, 10:12 pm
Liberty_25 wrote: April 26th, 2021, 9:07 pm
One of the managers can flat out shoot. Of course, for a walk-on in this system, being able to D up and make the starters work hard is probably more important.
Yeah makes sense! Do we have a name for that manager that could shoot well?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
This is the only college message board in the nation that a basketball student manager can get "more ink" than a softball team that's 33-12 and in first place in conference, or a baseball team that's in first place.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: April 27th, 2021, 7:01 am This is the only college message board in the nation that a basketball student manager can get "more ink" than a softball team that's 33-12 and in first place in conference, or a baseball team that's in first place.
No, it's not.
Purple Haize, Baybird liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
In reference to message boards, why is Liberty not a member of the rivals.com network of message boards, now that we're FBS ?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Control. I turned down Rivals, Scout & 247sports over the years. I suspect Jon has turned down requests as well during his time as well.
ballcoach15, LU 57 liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: April 27th, 2021, 7:01 am This is the only college message board in the nation that a basketball student manager can get "more ink" than a softball team that's 33-12 and in first place in conference, or a baseball team that's in first place.
That is absolutely incorrect.
LU 57 liked this
By Liberty_25
So now with Gabe McKay on the team that leaves one or two spots left for a walk on to complete next years roster... any word on who this could be?
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]