If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
What a job by McKay and co. We graduated 4 of our top 5 and barely had a dip in success.

What do you guys take away from this year? What concerns do you have? What can we take forward into next year?
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I’m concerned about the level of competition we face in conference. I think it has a negative affect when it comes to getting these guys prepared for legitimate competition. Not to mention recruiting.

We really really need to get out of the ASUN
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I think it puts us in a tough position in evaluating our talent as well. I had a bad feeling about Preston early in the season and he got exposed today. On the other hand, he was really solid against the lower level of competition we faced the rest of the year. In those early games against the high majors and come tourney time, he’s just too slow and unathletic to be effective. I really hope Abii and McKay figure things out.
PAmedic, Just John, cruzan_flame13 and 1 others liked this
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Yeah we def need MA
I really like that kid
By Liberty_2023
What do the scholarships look like assuming Cuffee and Parker do not come back? If we have an open spot I would think Mckay would try and get a Center in the transfer portal. Thank being said great year, thankful for the seniors, and excited for the future!
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
If Cuffee and Parker come back there’s a few odd men out who don’t get their scholarships renewed. I don’t see Parker coming back. My gut says Cuffee won’t either. Look for some of the end-of-the-benchers to seek greener pastures.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Just John wrote: March 19th, 2021, 9:47 pm We need a legit big to compete with the better teams outside of the ASUN level of competition. Anything in the wings?
There’s one on the bench. He needs to dot his “i’s” and cross his “t’s”. He could be a difference maker
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I don't think Preston would start for half of the A Sun teams. Like him, but that doesn't put points on the board.

Wintrop is looking very good against Nova. Why do I smell a NCAA review of some kind? Maybe it is my air conditioner. 8)
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Looking at ASOR’s prospect list, we have offered one big man in the next three classes and that’s Efton Reid, who ain’t coming here.
By Ill flame
This game was a healthy reminder of where we are doing well as a program and where we need to improve.

Oklahoma st was bigger, stronger and faster than us. This was evident all game but it really started to show up in the second half. This is one of the reasons why we ended up with so many turnovers and fouls. This issue is slowly but surely getting rectified every recruiting class but games against decent P5 teams really drive the point home that we don't have future NBA caliber athletes on the court.... Yet.

On the flip side, we just stood toe to toe against a team that won against one of the best teams in the country 7 days ago. This coaching staff keeps proving that they don't need elite athletes to stick around with the big boys. Despite losing a lot of production from last year this team stepped up and proved that Liberty doesn't need to rebuild, the next man will step up and fill a role well enough to win games.

I question whether we would have pulled this game out if we would've had better competition in the conference. This game was clearly a huge leap from regularly playing teams like northern alabama. I would at least like to see at tough of a non conference SOS as possible moving forward. I'm not sure what our ceiling is, especially in the asun but I'm confident that we haven't reached it yet.
flameshaw, LUOrange liked this
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: March 20th, 2021, 12:26 am
I question whether we would have pulled this game out if we would've had better competition in the conference. This game was clearly a huge leap from regularly playing teams like northern alabama. I would at least like to see at tough of a non conference SOS as possible moving forward. I'm not sure what our ceiling is, especially in the asun but I'm confident that we haven't reached it yet.
This
LUOrange liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: March 19th, 2021, 9:50 pm If Cuffee and Parker come back there’s a few odd men out who don’t get their scholarships renewed. I don’t see Parker coming back. My gut says Cuffee won’t either. Look for some of the end-of-the-benchers to seek greener pastures.

Cuff is highly valued. I'd be surprised if he doesn't return. But that decision is clearly his.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote: March 20th, 2021, 1:04 am
Ill flame wrote: March 20th, 2021, 12:26 am
This
TBH, the A-SUN is one of the best things to happen for LU. Getting to the NCAAs isn't a bad thing. The guys that can play with the big boys are gonna show up. We have a few guys that are overmatched every time we play a decent team from a major conference. Nothing's gonna change that. All we can ask is that they know their limitations and play smarter.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cuffee may have made himself some $$$$ last night. He went head to head with the projected #1 selection in the NBA draft, and here were the numbers:

Minutes:
Cuff 35
Cade 33

Cade 15 on 14 shots plus 9 FT

Rebounds:
Cuff 3
Cade 4

Assists:
Cuff 4
Cade 1

Blocks:
1 each

Steals:
Cuff 1
Cade 2

Turnovers:
Cuff 1
Cade 4

I'm not saying this means he will now suddenly be a first round draft choice, but there were a lot of scouts watching that match-up to see Cunningham and they got an eye-full of something else too.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: March 19th, 2021, 9:58 pm
Just John wrote: March 19th, 2021, 9:47 pm We need a legit big to compete with the better teams outside of the ASUN level of competition. Anything in the wings?
There’s one on the bench. He needs to dot his “i’s” and cross his “t’s”. He could be a difference maker
He has a skill set that certainly could have helped us on the offensive end last night, but The idea that Ritchie should have just stuck him in there when he had not played meaningful minutes in months doesn't wash IMHO. I certainly believe he has a future at Liberty, but of course there is a chance he may get frustrated over how things have gone and look for greener pastures.
stokesjokes liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: March 19th, 2021, 9:50 pm If Cuffee and Parker come back there’s a few odd men out who don’t get their scholarships renewed. I don’t see Parker coming back. My gut says Cuffee won’t either. Look for some of the end-of-the-benchers to seek greener pastures.
That is going to happen either way. We have one who I believe will be graduating this Spring and I would be shocked if he returns. There is at least one more who is a possibility. We are not done recruiting for 21. My guess would be we will be looking for a grad transfer with some size. That is the direction we were going last year before McDowell decided to return.

There are exactly 50 players 6'8" or taller with immediate eligibility currently in the transfer portal. My guess is that will more than double before the dust settles.
stokesjokes liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
This post-game quote from Ritchie may tell the story where Cuff is concerned.

"I’m going to miss coaching him, but at the same time, I’m so happy for him that, he had a career that was worthy of remembrance.”
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Sorry to hear that. Glad for him though. He certainly leaves on a high note. You don't completely replace guys like that.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
As far as Micah goes, it's hard to let go of first impressions. Other-worldly debut, for sure. But not definitive or realistic. I think that it was the St Fran game, where it looked pretty clear that Preston/Robinson were the best physicality option and McDowell & Rode could sink the three and had more rounded overall games. Preston, Robinson, McDowell, Rode--all had to wait. They put in the work and paid the price. And when you do that, things tend work out in your favor, and you'll be better for it when your time comes. Homesley fought through so much and never quit. And look where that got him. Not bad.
Last edited by paradox on March 20th, 2021, 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: March 20th, 2021, 8:11 am
Purple Haize wrote: March 19th, 2021, 9:58 pm
He has a skill set that certainly could have helped us on the offensive end last night, but The idea that Ritchie should have just stuck him in there when he had not played meaningful minutes in months doesn't wash IMHO. I certainly believe he has a future at Liberty, but of course there is a chance he may get frustrated over how things have gone and look for greener pastures.
It certainly would have been out of character to put him in last night. There’s a good chance it would have turned the tide last night. And there’s a chance it would not. I think he would have caused all sorts of fits for OkSt but RMK is building a Team for the Program and not a Team for a Game. So he stuck with who brought him. Which really really makes me curious what’s going on in practice
stokesjokes liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
I dunno. Don't think any standstill shooters would've helped in this game. OSU did a great job matching up. Covering a 6-7 standstill guy would've been no problem for them.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
OSU did a great job exposing our weakness in the backcourt. In the second half, they even shut down our screens. Certainly, Darius and Drake could've gotten space with pull-up jumpers, but the tempo-change would've been fatal. Vell Cabbil was really special. He was sneaky-quick, would jab-fake, pull-up, hit his shot, and immediately turn up the heat on D, all without changing the tempo of the game. The perfect McKay player IMO.
Last edited by paradox on March 20th, 2021, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: March 20th, 2021, 10:46 am I dunno. Don't think any standstill shooters would've helped in this game. OSU did a great job matching up. Covering a 6-7 standstill guy would've been no problem for them.
Covering him down on the blocks would have been the issue. He’s got a pretty good low post game.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
It's a popular assumption. But would it show up on the court? And is it evident in practice? Preston/Robinson would probably just smile, if that question were posed to them.

Personally, I'm high on MA as well. Would love to see him reach his potential.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]