If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

olldflame wrote: March 19th, 2021, 9:20 pm
SlurrrPup wrote: March 19th, 2021, 9:01 pm You gave us (OSU) a great game. I think our defense was underestimated going into the game. AA has been on fire the last month and he bailed us out with his mid-range jumper.

I don't like it when Refs change the way they officiate the game at half. 1st half no-calls, became fouls in the 2nd half.

Not sure what is up with that Abii thing. I think he would have been perfect for this game, but he hasn't played for a month+.

Thanks for your hospitality. You guys have a great coach and team. Hopefully Parker and Cuffee take advantage of the free year in 2021-22
No inside info, but I think Parker will be playing in Taiwan next year. His dad coaches the national team. Cuff may come back
If Parker leaves, I think you are good with Dobbs as long as he keeps the blue skips.
Refs did not determine the game...but they were pretty bad, and inconsistent at best. And I mean that on both ends. LU got hosed, but so did Okie State (trash foul calls trying to balance the foul count). LU just got hosed more. Double bonus with less than 10 minutes off the clock in the second half? Absurd! There were 39 collective personal fouls! That's ridiculous. The game wasn't THAT physical. The average is 18.2 PF per college game according to 2019 stats (last full season of play). This is taking into account increased fouls in the final minute for close games. LU's ultimate death nail in my opinion was the turnovers. We did not protect the ball and our passing was dismal. That notwithstanding, our kids played till the very end and with heart. The cowboys were tested, and they know it, and the best player in the league got pretty much shutdown. We'll be back!
Last edited by rtb72 on March 22nd, 2021, 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TH Spangler, Liberty22 liked this
Congratulations on a tremendous season. I'm sorry we were the guys that had to end your run. I will be cheering for you next season, and I hope some of you guys can follow us too. It was a good game and you had me sweating during that first half.

The people that don't follow the Cowboys think we are an offense first program. But Henry Iba stressed defense and Eddie Sutton stressed defense, and now Mike Boynton stresses defense. It is our defense that won that game.

See you next year.
South Tulsa Poke wrote: March 20th, 2021, 1:49 am Congratulations on a tremendous season. I'm sorry we were the guys that had to end your run. I will be cheering for you next season, and I hope some of you guys can follow us too. It was a good game and you had me sweating during that first half.

The people that don't follow the Cowboys think we are an offense first program. But Henry Iba stressed defense and Eddie Sutton stressed defense, and now Mike Boynton stresses defense. It is our defense that won that game.

See you next year.
Make some room for us in the Big12 :lol:
SlurrrPup wrote: March 19th, 2021, 10:02 pm
olldflame wrote: March 19th, 2021, 9:20 pm
SlurrrPup wrote: March 19th, 2021, 9:01 pm You gave us (OSU) a great game. I think our defense was underestimated going into the game. AA has been on fire the last month and he bailed us out with his mid-range jumper.

I don't like it when Refs change the way they officiate the game at half. 1st half no-calls, became fouls in the 2nd half.

Not sure what is up with that Abii thing. I think he would have been perfect for this game, but he hasn't played for a month+.

Thanks for your hospitality. You guys have a great coach and team. Hopefully Parker and Cuffee take advantage of the free year in 2021-22
No inside info, but I think Parker will be playing in Taiwan next year. His dad coaches the national team. Cuff may come back
If Parker leaves, I think you are good with Dobbs as long as he keeps the blue skips.
Drake is going to be a good one, and we have another one coming who will probably be even better.
South Tulsa Poke wrote: March 20th, 2021, 1:49 am Congratulations on a tremendous season. I'm sorry we were the guys that had to end your run. I will be cheering for you next season, and I hope some of you guys can follow us too. It was a good game and you had me sweating during that first half.

See you next year.
OSU had great defense. People kept talking about how "long" the OSU players were. They were right. Tall players with long arms, great quickness and athleticism. They took away a lot of LU passes and forced turnovers. They really got LU out of their offensive rhythm.

Hat's off to the Cowboys. Good luck in the Tournament. We hope you go far!
My big takeaway from watching the game was the brilliant OSU strategy on defense.

OSU played defense on our guards/forwards all the way out past the 3 point line. They took away the number of 3-pointers LU was able to shoot and many of our 3-point shots were contested, challenging shots. OSU was athletic enough to guard us beyond the perimeter, which is very difficult. You have to be quick to prevent getting blown past by athletic guards with the ball. OSU was successful doing this.

The second part of this strategy was for force LU's big man, Blake Preston to beat them. OSU basically said, "we're going to take away outside shots and LU guard/forward play. If you are going to beat us, you are going to beat us in the paint with Preston but we don't think he's athletic enough to do it". They were right.

Preston is a nice ASUN player. He's effective at the mid-major level. He's not a big program talent. Look at the number of times Preston got the ball in the paint. He never got the ball that much during the regular season because LU takes so many outside shots. The outside shot was taken away vs. OSU. Preston was often clumsy, slow and quickly double-teamed once he got the ball in his hands. Preston's slow reflexes were no match for the athleticism of OSU defenders. He needed to make quicker decisions with the ball in his hands and was unable to do so.

Despite all of that, LU made it a game. Being up by 3 at the half was great. Keeping the game margin in single digits was an accomplishment. The game could have easily gotten out of hand and LU may have lost by 15-20 points which would not have been a good look. LU kept it respectable and did not get embarrassed by a very talented squad.
Purple Haize, Baybird, Sly Fox and 1 others liked this
The turnovers and the fouls hurt but we lost that game mostly because we could never get in our groove offensively, they took away the 3 ball and made darius a non factor. We showed pretty good and don't have any thing to be embarrassed about. We had a good season and next year should be as good or better
The old adage is that you can win with good guard play and bad post play, but you can't win with good post play and bad guard play. That one goes back to the glory days of the post game.

It is what it is. And the same issues resurfaced every time when we played a quality opponent. But, help is on the way.
Geraldos Mustache wrote: March 20th, 2021, 10:26 pm Preston was often clumsy, slow and quickly double-teamed once he got the ball in his hands.
This was so frustrating to watch too. There were several times when he was double teamed had he been able to dish it back to the perimeter we could have gotten a 3 off. I remember saying dish it back out but he clumsily forced a shot off.
OSU was overrated. But, it was a great match-up for us. We hung in there for most of the game. Great prime exposure on TBS. And, if we're honest with ourselves, we were beneficiaries of a very down A-Sun year. McKay deserves all of the credit for being opportunistic by playing his most mature and experienced players and building his team philosophy. He valued that over the rebuild, and the outcome couldn't have been better. Great season with even brighter future IMO.
Purple Haize liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]