If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Geraldos Mustache
Next year, Liberty will have an embarrassment of riches at the Guard position. This could actually present a problem.
  • McGhee returns for his senior season
      Dobbs continues to develop nicely and has been our first Guard off the bench as a Freshmen. He'll be better as a Sophomore next season
        Josh Venzant arrives as a Freshman
          Brody Peebles arrives as a Freshman
            Warfield and Jackson did not get much PT as Freshmen but are very talented and have a ton of upside potential
          Who will run the point with Chris Parker leaving? Dobbs? One of the incoming Freshmen?
          I am not familiar enough with Warfield and Jackson to know if they can play the point or not.

I honestly don't thing we need to recruit another guard for two years - we are loaded with talent. We need to find a legitimate big man at Center. Preston is good but would love to see a larger, more athletic version of him in the future as Liberty continues to improve its recruiting trajectory.
          By PAmedic
          Registration Days Posts
          Geraldos Mustache wrote: March 8th, 2021, 11:30 am
          Who will run the point with Chris Parker leaving? Dobbs? One of the incoming Freshmen?
          I am not familiar enough with Warfield and Jackson to know if they can play the point or not.
          Whoever can figure out a way to consistently beat a full court press.

Makes me nauseous every time that happens and we fold under the pressure.
          By olldflame
          Registration Days Posts
          Geraldos Mustache wrote: March 8th, 2021, 11:30 am Next year, Liberty will have an embarrassment of riches at the Guard position. This could actually present a problem.
          • McGhee returns for his senior season
              Dobbs continues to develop nicely and has been our first Guard off the bench as a Freshmen. He'll be better as a Sophomore next season
                Josh Venzant arrives as a Freshman
                  Brody Peebles arrives as a Freshman
                    Warfield and Jackson did not get much PT as Freshmen but are very talented and have a ton of upside potential

I honestly don't thing we need to recruit another guard for two years - we are loaded with talent. We need to find a legitimate big man at Center. Preston is good but would love to see a larger, more athletic version of him in the future as Liberty continues to improve its recruiting trajectory.
                  I have a feeling Parker won't be back. He has very recently referred to the fact that he chose uniform #1 because he will only be here for 1 year, and I believe he will complete his master's program this Spring. I also think he has connections through his father to play professionally in Taiwan. I expect Dobbs and Brody Peebles to be the primary ball handlers, and I think we will be just fine. I have no feel whatsoever for what Cuff will do, but from what I have seen, Venzant is capable of stepping into the role of defensive ace from day one, plus he is much more athletic and can finish at the rim in ways Cuff can't.

I understand why there is a consistent drumbeat regarding the need for a big man, but I frankly don't think Ritchie listens to it. I'm sure he would sign a bigger player if he was a fit for the culture and could execute defensively in the pack line the way he feels is necessary. We still have an open offer to 4* 7 footer Efton Reid (huge long shot with dozens of high major offers). He has stated that he had a commitment from a big man and was ready to sign him at about the same time McDowell decided he wanted to come back. The fact that he went with Keegan says a lot about what he believes is important, both on and off the court.
                  By paradox
                  Registration Days Posts
                  You always look to improve. Another way to look at it would be that we are rebuilding to a certain extent. McGhee, Rode, Preston are what we're building around.

What happens in the big games is what matters most. Who will step up in the NCAAs? It's no secret that we are a guard-oriented attack. The opposition will focus heavily on McGhee. That's pretty cut and dry. Is that step-up guy on the roster right now? We'll find out.
                  By olldflame
                  Registration Days Posts
                  paradox wrote: March 9th, 2021, 9:55 am You always look to improve. Another way to look at it would be that we are rebuilding to a certain extent. McGhee, Rode, Preston are what we're building around.

What happens in the big games is what matters most. Who will step up in the NCAAs? It's no secret that we are a guard-oriented attack. The opposition will focus heavily on McGhee. That's pretty cut and dry. Is that step-up guy on the roster right now? We'll find out.
                  Kyle Rode
                  After a blazing start as a FR, he struggled the rest of the year with nagging injuries. This season, he has been like a Swiss Army knife, giving us whatever we needed. In the ASUN tournament, he showed that could include making huge shots and being that second scorer after Darius.
                  By paradox
                  Registration Days Posts
                  Kyle is made for games like this. But, what about the guards? Someone, other than Darius, is going to have to step-up. It's possible that we may even end up looking a little thin going against the stiffer competition. Only time will tell.
                  By stokesjokes
                  Registration Days Posts
                  Parker and Cuffee have both had big, clutch moments this year. Keegan can get hot and score in bunches. Even Dobbs has had his moments. We have plenty of options. They don’t all have to have big games, but it will be more than McGhee contributing, for sure.
                  By olldflame
                  Registration Days Posts
                  paradox wrote: March 9th, 2021, 10:26 am Kyle is made for games like this. But, what about the guards? Someone, other than Darius, is going to have to step-up. It's possible that we may even end up looking a little thin going against the stiffer competition. Only time will tell.
                  This year it would have to be Parker/Dobbs.
                  Starting next year, I don't think a second option in the back court will be an issue. The only caveat would be if some of the options have their minutes throttled due to defensive liabilities, but I think that will be fine. Dobbs, Jackson, Peebles and Venzant all have big upside as scorers.
                  By paradox
                  Registration Days Posts
                  When you face elimination, you learn the most about your players. And it's only going to be magnified on the big stage against top competition. We'll find out what we have very soon. Hopefully we land more on the optimistic side of the equation.
                  By JK37
                  Registration Days Posts
                  Roster isn’t built the same as that team that beat Miss State a couple years ago. There is no NBA/G-League type of star. There’s no one with a body like Scottie or Myo. Your star is 5’8”, and he’s a fun spark plug, but...

I agree Rode is made for such a time as this.

I think a 12 or 13 seed is out of respect, and I like this group a lot, but just my opinion they’re not as good as that last group was. Which is ok. Just makes them less likely to do what those did. It would take an unconscious shooting performance to overcome the physical liabilities and limitations.

(Makes me wish Abii had finished the year the way he started it.)
                  By PAmedic
                  Registration Days Posts
                  JK37 wrote: March 9th, 2021, 2:54 pm
                  (Makes me wish Abii had finished the year the way he started it.)
                  ⬆️

This is what I’ve been thinking for the last couple months or so. Really excited for this kid back when the season started and he just fell off the radar
                  By olldflame
                  Registration Days Posts
                  I certainly hope Abii sticks around to become the player he can be. I believe he will, but I can already hear a couple of our armchair coaches here saying that Ritchie "chased him off" if he decides to transfer.
                  By FlamesHighontheTide
                  Registration Days Posts
                  Just a reminder we played Purdue(projected 4 seed) and Mizzou(projected 8 seed) tough and led Mizzou by 4 at the half. I know we are a smaller team with less experience than last year but we have the kind of team that plays good D, top 20 free throw shooting team in the country and 9th best 3pt shooting team in the country. Those 3 things will keep us in tournament games and if Darius shoots like he has lately then we could have a run like Steph Curry's Davidson team.
                  By paradox
                  Registration Days Posts
                  This group has the potential to surprise some people. A Davidson run may be a little too much to ask. Would love to see it though.
                  By paradox
                  Registration Days Posts
                  olldflame wrote: March 9th, 2021, 5:32 pm I certainly hope Abii sticks around to become the player he can be. I believe he will, but I can already hear a couple of our armchair coaches here saying that Ritchie "chased him off" if he decides to transfer.
                  Blake had to wait for his opportunity. Mica's time will come. For lack of a better term, maybe we are "loaded" at forward. Contrary to the consensus here, it would seem that we have a very efficient rotation going with the forwards right now. Kyle and Blake are among several noticeable leaders on this team This group has outstanding character and chemistry. Ritchie has made the best use of the extra practice time to build a strong core of team-oriented competitors.
                  By JK37
                  Registration Days Posts
                  FlamesHighontheTide wrote: March 9th, 2021, 6:16 pm Just a reminder we played Purdue(projected 4 seed) and Mizzou(projected 8 seed) tough and led Mizzou by 4 at the half. I know we are a smaller team with less experience than last year but we have the kind of team
                  So long ago it feels like last season.

I’m never one to hang my hat on close losses.

It’s not the same kind of team. No bodies inside. We can be competitive, but we aren’t as balanced. Better hope we meet an undersized, athletically-reliant, defensively undisciplined team in the first round to pull an upset.

How many of those get 4-seeds?
                  By tyndal23
                  JK37 wrote: March 13th, 2021, 9:25 pm
                  FlamesHighontheTide wrote: March 9th, 2021, 6:16 pm Just a reminder we played Purdue(projected 4 seed) and Mizzou(projected 8 seed) tough and led Mizzou by 4 at the half. I know we are a smaller team with less experience than last year but we have the kind of team
                  So long ago it feels like last season.

I’m never one to hang my hat on close losses.

It’s not the same kind of team. No bodies inside. We can be competitive, but we aren’t as balanced. Better hope we meet an undersized, athletically-reliant, defensively undisciplined team in the first round to pull an upset.

How many of those get 4-seeds?
                  Agreed. But is it we are more subtly euro talented ? As in we don’t look as athletic but are sneaky talented ? James was extremely physical but not overly athletic looking, but showed the scrap, Mayo was athletic without the athletic body, these cats are just efficient and look almost lucky when they get the rebound, make the put back or kick out, but they do it consistently enough stat wise to make you scratch your head and admit maybe they are better than they “look”. Still not sure our D is anywhere near where it was last year but hard to argue the results this year...
                  Geraldos Mustache liked this
                  By stokesjokes
                  Registration Days Posts
                  As impressive as McGhee is, Mr. Cole is comparing two unlike things. The NFL combine only does a standing vertical and the NBA combine only allows a few steps as a “run-up.” Safe to say you’d see some higher numbers if they were allowed a running start like McGhee in the video.
                  Kricket liked this
                  Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]