If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By JK37
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: March 13th, 2021, 10:52 pm
JK37 wrote: March 13th, 2021, 9:25 pm
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: March 9th, 2021, 6:16 pm Just a reminder we played Purdue(projected 4 seed) and Mizzou(projected 8 seed) tough and led Mizzou by 4 at the half. I know we are a smaller team with less experience than last year but we have the kind of team
So long ago it feels like last season.

I’m never one to hang my hat on close losses.

It’s not the same kind of team. No bodies inside. We can be competitive, but we aren’t as balanced. Better hope we meet an undersized, athletically-reliant, defensively undisciplined team in the first round to pull an upset.

How many of those get 4-seeds?
Agreed. But is it we are more subtly euro talented ? As in we don’t look as athletic but are sneaky talented ? James was extremely physical but not overly athletic looking, but showed the scrap, Mayo was athletic without the athletic body, these cats are just efficient and look almost lucky when they get the rebound, make the put back or kick out, but they do it consistently enough stat wise to make you scratch your head and admit maybe they are better than they “look”. Still not sure our D is anywhere near where it was last year but hard to argue the results this year...
I agree with your assessment of Scottie and Mayo. And to a degree I align with your assessment of this yearMs group.

But I’m not looking for sheer athleticism; what I’m saying is that because LU doesn’t have those kinds of bodies inside, an athletic, disciplined team with those bodies (such as, say, Oklahoma State) will overpower LU. Scottie and Mayo could bang and not be pushed easily off their lines. This year’s group has the identity of overachieving despite being undersized. Which is why I believe it will take an other-worldly 3pt shooting night (possible!) + an incredible defensive effort (LIKELY!) + an off night from Oklahoma State to topple them.

Oklahoma State is not like the Mississippi State team LU came from behind to beat in 2019. That was a perfect storm for LU. And let’s not forget, it still took a G-league level player taking over the game to complete that comeback. We don’t have one of those either this year.

Oklahoma State is overwhelmingly better coached and more talented than that Mississippi State team. And the chance of them coming in flat and overlooking Liberty was, in my opinion, greatly minimized when the committee seeded them at 4. They’re a 2 seed coming in HOT. They beat Baylor on a neutral floor last week, and I believe Baylor is the best overall team in the country. (My NC pick).

So while I like and will be rooting for LU tomorrow. I just don’t love our chances. We are a 13 that got stuck with a two-seed whose mad because they got a 4. A coach half as good as Boynton would have no problem motivating this team to show out.

I think LU keeps it close. But it wouldn’t surprise me if it got ugly late. Oklahoma State has plenty to prove with a HUGE chip on their shoulder.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: March 18th, 2021, 7:24 am As impressive as McGhee is, Mr. Cole is comparing two unlike things. The NFL combine only does a standing vertical and the NBA combine only allows a few steps as a “run-up.” Safe to say you’d see some higher numbers if they were allowed a running start like McGhee in the video.
That is correct, and 45 from a standstill is pretty mind-boggling. I looked at the video multiple times, and I only see 3 steps. I think it would qualify for the NBA testing, if not as is, with very minor modifications.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I tend to agree that OK State is a better team and tougher match-upoverall than MS State. What is not true is that they are a big/imposing team. Their starting "center" Boone is only 210 and I think Preston may give him some problems. Cunningham is actually their biggest guy at 220. In terms of size and strength, both Mizzou and TCU were a much bigger mismatch.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: March 18th, 2021, 9:24 am I tend to agree that OK State is a better team and tougher match-upoverall than MS State. What is not true is that they are a big/imposing team. Their starting "center" Boone is only 210 and I think Preston may give him some problems. Cunningham is actually their biggest guy at 220. In terms of size and strength, both Mizzou and TCU were a much bigger mismatch.
Agreed. And TCU was able to leverage that well in their OKSU game plan.

OK State’s PG is like a runaway freight train. Or a TANK! One Broadcaster referred to him as “a linebacker playing PG.” Pretty accurate.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
If that’s the case, with our ability to get back on D, hopefully we can bait him into some charges early on. I think they’ll try to force their tempo, but we should be able to stifle that pretty well. If Cunningham is limited with fouls, they become a very beatable team.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: March 18th, 2021, 12:57 pm If that’s the case, with our ability to get back on D, hopefully we can bait him into some charges early on. I think they’ll try to force their tempo, but we should be able to stifle that pretty well. If Cunningham is limited with fouls, they become a very beatable team.
That is entirely possible, And I’ve seen it out of them more than usual.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: March 18th, 2021, 12:57 pm If that’s the case, with our ability to get back on D, hopefully we can bait him into some charges early on. I think they’ll try to force their tempo, but we should be able to stifle that pretty well. If Cunningham is limited with fouls, they become a very beatable team.
Extremely rare for a guard to get into foul trouble. Highly unlikely. Would love to see it nonetheless.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]