If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts

North Alabama Hoops Official Site

Tony Pujol
3rd Season as North Alabama Head Coach

2020-2021 Schedule/Results

Overall ........ 13-10
ASUN ............ 7-8
Neutral ......... 2-0

NOV 25 - OAKWOOD .............................................. W, 98-74
DEC 06 - CARVER COLLEGE .................................... W, 107-40
DEC 10 - TROY ........................................................ L, 57-62
DEC 13 - @ INDIANA ............................................... L, 52-87
DEC 17 - CROWLEY'S RIDGE ................................... W, 99-51
DEC 20 - FREED-HARDEMAN ................................... W, 82-56
JAN 08 - STETSON .................................................. L, 77-86
JAN 09 - STETSON ................................................. W, 73-66 (OT)
JAN 15 - @ KENNESAW STATE ................................ W, 66-43
JAN 16 - @ KENNESAW STATE .................................W, 66-64
JAN 22 - JACKSONVILLE ......................................... W, 82-81 (OT)
JAN 23 - JACKSONVILLE ......................................... W, 76-54
JAN 29 - @ NORTH FLORIDA ................................... W, 82-78
JAN 30 - @ NORTH FLORIDA ................................... L, 72-82
FEB 05 - @ FGCU ..................................................... L, 60-86
FEB 06 - @ FGCU ..................................................... L, 60-69
FEB 12 - BELLARMINE ............................................. L, 64-66
FEB 13 - BELLARMINE ............................................. L, 63-87
FEB 22 - @ LIBERTY ................................................. L, 54-74
FEB 23 - @ LIBERTY ................................................. L, 54-74
FEB 27 - LIPSCOMB ................................................. W, 73-66

ASUN TOURNAMENT
MAR 04 - vs. NORTH FLORIDA ................................. W, 68-60
MAR 05 - vs. FGCU ................................................... W 96-81
MAR 07 - vs. Liberty ................................................. 2:00 PM (ESPN)

Key Players

#5 Mervin James
ASUN 2nd Team All-Conference
6' 7" 215 lbs Sophomore Forward
Thru 21 Games: Averaging 13.7 Pts, 7.2 Rebs & .9 Assists + 46 FG%

#21 Emanuel Littles
6' 7" 215 lbs Junior Forward
Thru 21 Games: Averaging 9.8 Pts, 10.2 Rebs & 129 Assists + 53.4 FG%
So LU beat them twice by identical scores, 74-54.

I like our odds in this one! Play Basketball
The rule about the NCAA Tournament is meant to discourage schools from jumping before they are fully committed to the transition. It has been in place for decades. Conferences have a choice whether to let transitioning members into their tourneys. That's why there was this ducssion in the tournament thread. But the ASUN made their bed and is now lying in it.

In the meantime, we have some business to address. UNA had lost seven straight before starting this 3-game run into the final. Two of those seven were our last games at home with the identical scores. It would be easy to let down our guard with the Dance ticket punched and the fresh memories of the 20-point wins. But our slow starts the last two games could put us in jeopardy Sunday that we don't want address. No one wants to be the team in the Dance in on a technicality. We need to finish this JAX experience strong to impress the selection committee for the best seeding possible in Indiana.
ballcoach15, thepostman, LUOrange and 3 others liked this
Sly Fox wrote: March 6th, 2021, 10:10 am The rule about the NCAA Tournament is meant to discourage schools from jumping before they are fully committed to the transition. It has been in place for decades. Conferences have a choice whether to let transitioning members into their tourneys. That's why there was this ducssion in the tournament thread. But the ASUN made their bed and is now lying in it.

In the meantime, we have some business to address. UNA had lost seven straight before starting this 3-game run into the final. Two of those seven were our last games at home with the identical scores. It would be easy to let down our guard with the Dance ticket punched and the fresh memories of the 20-point wins. But our slow starts the last two games could put us in jeopardy Sunday that we don't want address. No one wants to be the team in the Dance in on a technicality. We need to finish this JAX experience strong to impress the selection committee for the best seeding possible in Indiana.
I suspect you are pretty close to the mark on the reason for the transition period, but it's a dinosaur of a rule which is really not very relevant now, especially for 4 years, which verges on the draconian. It should be much easier with current resources and technology to thoroughly vet programs before approving a move up, and in the unlikely event a school has buyer's remorse, penalize them with a transition period for returning to D2.
Stevev wrote: March 6th, 2021, 11:09 am This game is important. A loss would effect our seeding for the tournament. Can’t take these guys lightly
It's always important to be the best you can be every time you represent your school and your Lord in competition. As far as seeding is concerned, I am not so sure a loss in this game would hurt as much as you might think. The selection committee knows full well it is an unusual situation.
olldflame wrote: March 6th, 2021, 11:15 am
Sly Fox wrote: March 6th, 2021, 10:10 am The rule about the NCAA Tournament is meant to discourage schools from jumping before they are fully committed to the transition. It has been in place for decades. Conferences have a choice whether to let transitioning members into their tourneys. That's why there was this ducssion in the tournament thread. But the ASUN made their bed and is now lying in it.

I suspect you are pretty close to the mark on the reason for the transition period, but it's a dinosaur of a rule which is really not very relevant now, especially for 4 years, which verges on the draconian. It should be much easier with current resources and technology to thoroughly vet programs before approving a move up, and in the unlikely event a school has buyer's remorse, penalize them with a transition period for returning to D2.
In the late 90's, the Big South invited Birmingham Southern and they played 1 season as a D1 school before dropping down to D3. I'm assuming money was their issue, but I'm sure they're partly to blame for the 4 year rule cause I don't remember High Point and Elon having to wait that long. I understand the need to have a stringent vetting process and assurances that a school is committed and able to elevate divisions, but 4 year postseason ineligibility is a bit much and counterproductive.
LUOrange wrote: March 6th, 2021, 11:44 am
olldflame wrote: March 6th, 2021, 11:15 am

In the late 90's, the Big South invited Birmingham Southern and they played 1 season as a D1 school before dropping down to D3. I'm assuming money was their issue, but I'm sure they're partly to blame for the 4 year rule cause I don't remember High Point and Elon having to wait that long. I understand the need to have a stringent vetting process and assurances that a school is committed and able to elevate divisions, but 4 year postseason ineligibility is a bit much and counterproductive.
I most definately remember High Point's transition. I believe they had been a D1 indy for a year or 2 before they joined the BSC. If I recall correctly, the BSC did not allow them to play in the conference tournament while they were transitioning.
Win this game and we have a shot at a 12. Probably 13 or better without a doubt. Lose and we drop to 14 potentially. The difference between a 12 and 14 seed in terms of chances to win is typically huge. 14 seeds winning is rare, whereas 12s win almost half the time.

No reason not to go full speed in this one and try to build some momentum going into the big dance.
With the NEC, American East, OVC, Sun Belt and the Patriot number one seeds losing, we must win this for seeding. I always had us landing the 14th seed but with what happened I think we can sneak into the 12th spot.

Gotta root for Campbell too. That will be a big boost if they win.
I just don't see a loss here hurting our seeding a ton. Everyone on the planet knows that being in the tournament already totally changes things, and that certainly includes the selection committee. Do I think we will get some props if we step up and play great in spite of that? Probably so, in which case a win could give us a bit of a boost which we obviously wouldn't get if we lose. As far as all those 1 seeds losing, it all plays in our favor, because I don't think any of them (including Winthrop, if Campbell beats them) have a resume worthy of an at-large bid. BTW, even though Winthrop is a gaudy 22-1, Campbell actually goes into the final with a longer win streak, and Winthrop's best wins were over a couple of pretty good but not great SC teams.
thepostman wrote: March 7th, 2021, 4:37 pm Brutal stretch here. The pressure is really getting in our heads. Refs aren't going to bail us out. I know we are in regardless, but losing to UNA is not a good look heading into the tournament.
It's probably one of the biggest weaknesses if this team. Full court pressure gets to us and we rarely know how to exploit it due to our methodical nature.
That's what a tournament game should be. UNA was impressive. I know they are transitioning, but I give them kudos. Those kids played their hearts out and will be a contender in the future. Fun game to watch. Stressful for LU fans....but fun. On to the BIG DANCE.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]