If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts

SU Hoops Official Site

Donnie Jones
2nd Season as SU Head Coach

2020-2021 Schedule/Results

Overall ..... 11-13
ASUN ......... 7-9
Neutral ...... 1-0

NOV 30 - EMMANUEL (GA.) COLLEGE .................... L, 61-64
DEC 04 - @ MIAMI ................................................ L, 60-82
DEC 06 - @ FLORIDA ............................................ L, 40-86
DEC 08 - @ USF ................................................... L, 62-73
DEC 10 - FLORIDA COLLEGE ................................ POSTPONED
DEC 15 - FLORIDA ATLANTIC ............................... W, 78-69
DEC 18 - THOMAS (GA.) COLLEGE ....................... CANCELED
DEC 19 - CARVER COLLEGE ................................. W, 95-51
JAN 01 - NORTH FLORIDA ................................... POSTPONED
JAN 02 - NORTH FLORIDA ................................... POSTPONED
JAN 08 - @ NORTH ALABAMA .............................. W, 86-77
JAN 09 - @ NORTH ALABAMA .............................. L, 66-73
JAN 15 - LIBERTY ................................................ W, 65-59
JAN 16 - LIBERTY ................................................ L, 58-68
JAN 22 - @ BELLARMINE ..................................... L, 62-67
JAN 23 - @ BELLARMINE ..................................... L, 65-76
JAN 29 - @ FGCU ................................................. L, 63-64
JAN 30 - @ FGCU ................................................. W, 77-66
FEB 01 - CARVER COLLEGE .................................. W, 110-56
FEB 05 - LIPSCOMB .............................................. W, 73-68
FEB 06 - LIPSCOMB .............................................. L, 61-69
FEB 12 - @ KENNESAW STATE .............................. W, 74-61
FEB 13 - @ KENNESAW STATE .............................. L, 75-83
FEB 19 - JACKSONVILLE ...................................... W, 91-75
FEB 20 - JACKSONVILLE ....................................... L, 82-86
FEB 26 - NORTH FLORIDA ..................................... L, 74-79
FEB 27 - NORTH FLORIDA* .................................. W, 85-68

ASUN CONFERENCE TOURNAMENT
MAR 04 - vs. BELLARMINE ................................... W 73-70
MAR 05 - vs. LIBERTY

Key Player

#2 Rob Perry
6' 4" 210 lbs Sophomore Guard
Thru 24 Games: Averaging 14.6 Pts, 4.5 Rebs & 3.0 Assists
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Stetson beat us this year; Bellarmine did not. Who would you rather be playing today?

I'd rather take my chances wit the Hatters, who we have also beaten once. Thoughts?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The very definition of ASUN mediocrity having split with everyone else in the league outside of Bellarmine with whom they are now 1-2. That said, they are easily the toughest matchup for us out of the remaining field. They have three players who score 12 or better. If we aren't hitting our shots early they have the ability to capitalize.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
This is one team that scares me. They've had our number. Great perimeter defense that gives us fits. We will need to finish around the rim for this one.
By Longshots
Spread is 10.5 I think that's way too much. I do think we win this game but it's going to be single digits. One thing we have going is the fact they played an emotional game less just last night.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: March 5th, 2021, 10:02 am Stetson beat us this year; Bellarmine did not. Who would you rather be playing today?

I'd rather take my chances wit the Hatters, who we have also beaten once. Thoughts?
They beat us without Diawara 6'10" starter and his backup Kabimba 6'8" :(
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote: March 5th, 2021, 10:53 am They beat us without Diawara 6'10" starter and his backup Kabimba 6'8" :(
Sounds like Preston better man up. Play Basketball
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Some might suggest their small ball setup is what junked up our rhythm enough to beat us back in January. It will be interesting to see what strategy Jones employs under these quick turnaround circumstances.
stokesjokes liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: March 5th, 2021, 12:23 pm Some might suggest their small ball setup is what junked up our rhythm enough to beat us back in January. It will be interesting to see what strategy Jones employs under these quick turnaround circumstances.
Probably true considering preparation as well. We lost the first game when we may have been unprepared for their adjustments for not having the big men. Won the 2nd when we could make proper adjustments. Hopefully McKay and crew have a good read on the Hatters for this go-around.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: March 5th, 2021, 3:04 pm As you watch the game, visualize the announcer named Miller in the public restroom stall next to you taking care of a #2...
LOL. He is horrible!!! Who told him that sounded good? ....
LUOrange liked this
By Geraldos Mustache
tyndal23 wrote: March 5th, 2021, 3:04 pm As you watch the game, visualize the announcer named Miller in the public restroom stall next to you taking care of a #2...
We could do without the growling effect to manufacture hype.

Your comment reminds me of that scene in Austin Powers - the Spy Who Shagged Me. Tom Arnold is on the toilet. In the next stall is Austin Powers in a struggle with the Lucky Charms assassin character. You know the rest...
tyndal23, LUOrange liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
To be fair if you had a lot of crowd noise behind him his call would sound better. Color guy can't help pulling against us. But most people without a favorite pull for an upset. :lol:
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
As ridiculous as his call is this afternoon I actually find it hilarious. But the schtick is wearing thin already.

After our ice cold start, that 10-0 run to close out the first half took the wind out of the Hatters. They head to the lockerroom exhausted. Jones is going to have a real problem getting them back up.

Elijah sparked us offensively when we needed it most. I'll take the 8-point lead at the break.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: March 5th, 2021, 3:41 pm As ridiculous as his call is this afternoon I actually find it hilarious. But the schtick is wearing thin already.

After our ice cold start, that 10-0 run to close out the first half took the wind out of the Hatters. They head to the lockerroom exhausted. Jones is going to have a real problem getting them back up.

Elijah sparked us offensively when we needed it most. I'll take the 8-point lead at the break.
Especially with zero points from the POY.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
we get the W going away 77-64. Finished both halves strong. Stetson focuses on stopping Darius, but he got his scoring going in the second half and finished with 13, 5 boards, career high 9 assists and a block and a steal for good measure. Preston outplayed Daiwara and finished with 13 and 10 including 3 dunks. Great team effort.

I have mixed feelings about who I want to win tonight. If N Bama pulls it off, we are dancing win or lose tomorrow, but part of me would like to win it on the floor against FGCU.
By Geraldos Mustache
Preston played big time over the final 5 minutes while carrying 4 fouls. Huge effort.

Was nice to see Liberty pile on a bit and make a statement toward the end of the game. The passing and scoring under defensive pressure was very impressive. Strong finish! Go Flames!
flameshaw liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
They sorta threw a junk defense at us part-way through the 2nd. That made it close for a minute until we adjusted, but junk defenses tend to be easy to pick apart once you know what the other team is doing.

I hope Abii can come along for next year, we are out-sized and out-muscled by some of these ASun teams.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: March 5th, 2021, 12:18 pm
Chippy wrote: March 5th, 2021, 10:53 am They beat us without Diawara 6'10" starter and his backup Kabimba 6'8" :(
Sounds like Preston better man up. Play Basketball
Anybody see Preston's reverse dunk??? I've been watching LU basketball for 36 years, and I don't think I've seen an LU player dunk behind his head until Preston did it today! :shock:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: March 5th, 2021, 4:59 pm They sorta threw a junk defense at us part-way through the 2nd. That made it close for a minute until we adjusted, but junk defenses tend to be easy to pick apart once you know what the other team is doing.

I hope Abii can come along for next year, we are out-sized and out-muscled by some of these ASun teams.
I hope he does too, but I don't see us being outmatched inside. Today Preston totally outplayed the guy most of the pundits consider to be the second best big man in the conference.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]