If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Pound for Pound, who is better?

Larry Blair
32%
Darius McGhee
61%
Other
7%
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I saw this poll on twitter tonight from ASOR and was shocked how big of a lead Darius has. To me, Larry was clearly better but maybe not?

So what do you guys say and why?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
RD called and is insulted by this poll. Play Basketball :oldhag
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Obviously Larry was better, but McGhee could surpass him next year, IMO.

Larry was great, but there was no development at all. He graduated as the same player he was as a freshman. On the other hand, Darius has improved each year he’s been here.

Top 2 players who suffered from lack of coaching and development that I saw at LU: Larry Blair and Jesse Sanders.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Larry was a great scorer who was the #1 option in our offense for over 3 years. Darius plays in a system where there really is no hierarchy like that, and if there was this would be the first year he was on top of it. McKay saying that "he could lead the country in scoring, but he doesn't need to" may have been a rare case of hyperbole for him, but there is no doubt he is capable of bigger numbers. I think Darius is a better defender as well, but I voted for him mainly based on the "pound for pound" caviat. Larry was far from a bruiser, but at 6'0" he was listed at 185 lbs. We don't put player weights on our roster any more (I think that's a Henry Barrera thing) but I'd be surprised if Darius is more than 150 dripping wet. He's also probably closer to 5'7" than he is 5'9".
Last edited by olldflame on February 25th, 2021, 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: February 25th, 2021, 12:32 am Top 2 players who suffered from lack of coaching and development that I saw at LU: Larry Blair and Jesse Sanders.
Agree with this 100%

Larry was the better player but we never saw his full potential due to roster instability and subpar coaching.

On the flip side, we are seeing the absolute best out of Darius because he has had those things.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: February 25th, 2021, 12:32 am Obviously Larry was better, but McGhee could surpass him next year, IMO.

Larry was great, but there was no development at all. He graduated as the same player he was as a freshman. On the other hand, Darius has improved each year he’s been here.

Top 2 players who suffered from lack of coaching and development that I saw at LU: Larry Blair and Jesse Sanders.
Both good examples, but I think I can top them.

Chris Caldwell

Really talented player who suffered through 4 years under Hanky. He could have been so much better.
stokesjokes liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Another thing is teams knew Larry was the go to guy. Yet he was still able to score. Imagine if Dees had stayed around to help take some focus off of Blair. There is so much more I could say about the obstacles that Larry had to overcome with the coaching staff but we have all been down that road many times.

It is a really hard thing to compare though. 2 totally different era's and circumstances
Baybird liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Chris runs TJ Ford's AAU programs here in Houston and gets high marks around town. He actually doesn't live far from Stephon Leary. Small world.

I would give Darius the edge on the pound-for-pound caveat. But when Larry became Batman after Robin began his circuitous journey through Louisiana to nekkid realty show embarassment, he answered the call.

Bailey was the better player overall pound-for-pound and otherwise rendering this conversation quaint.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: February 25th, 2021, 10:01 am Chris runs TJ Ford's AAU programs here in Houston and gets high marks around town. He actually doesn't live far from Stephon Leary. Small world.

I would give Darius the edge on the pound-for-pound caveat. But when Larry became Batman after Robin began his circuitous journey through Louisiana to nekkid realty show embarassment, he answered the call.

Bailey was the better player overall pound-for-pound and otherwise rendering this conversation quaint.
Based on wedsite rosters, Baily weighed less than Larry, but the poll specifies 6' or less, which disqualifies him. I totally agree he was better than either of the 2.

I'm guessing the one vote for "other" was for Karl Hess. I just don't think his raw numbers can overcome the significantly lower level of competition.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Good guards are great leaders. A talented guard who is a poor leader limits the team's success to a high degree. Quality opponents, generally don't fret these players.

I'm optimistic about Darrius. But, so much of the story remains to be written. Need to see how he performs in pressure situations, especially tight postseason games.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: February 25th, 2021, 12:32 am Obviously Larry was better, but McGhee could surpass him next year, IMO.

I would have to throw Peter Aluma in there as well. Now, I loved Peter, had him to my house several times for dinner, etc. I believe he is the GOAT at LU. But, he was arguably better his freshman year, than his senior year. He got lazy and the coaches did not challenge him. He was the lead dog on the teams he played on, that included the coaching staff.
stokesjokes liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I believe McGhee is the better of the two. Larry was good, but McGhee is much faster and a better dribbler. Again, it is difficult to compare because of the team/coaching dynamics and style of play.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Did Blair play defense? Or block shots or rebound like McGhee does? Play Basketball
flameshaw liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Larry was good on D. As far as Darrius goes, he does many things well, including those so-called smaller things that happen often.

Backcourt guys that really stand out for me----Clutch Gordon, Hildo, Seth, Jesse, Lovell, & Georgie--in no particular order. If I had to pick one from each era, it would be Lovell for the current era--and Hildebrand for the earlier period.
Last edited by paradox on March 1st, 2021, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: February 25th, 2021, 6:55 pm Larry was good on D. As far as Darrius goes, he does many things well, including those so-called smaller things that happen often.

The backcourt guys that really stand out for me----Clutch Gordon, Hildo, Seth, Jesse, Lovell, and Georgie--in no particular order. If I had to pick one, it would be Lovell.
IMHO, we have never had a better ball handler than McGhee. Does anyone remember a guard named Hickman, from the dark ages? He transferred in from USC and was pretty good. I think he only played a year.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: February 25th, 2021, 9:01 pm
paradox wrote: February 25th, 2021, 6:55 pm Larry was good on D. As far as Darrius goes, he does many things well, including those so-called smaller things that happen often.

The backcourt guys that really stand out for me----Clutch Gordon, Hildo, Seth, Jesse, Lovell, and Georgie--in no particular order. If I had to pick one, it would be Lovell.
IMHO, we have never had a better ball handler than McGhee. Does anyone remember a guard named Hickman, from the dark ages? He transferred in from USC and was pretty good. I think he only played a year.
Johnny Stephene says hi. Dribbling coach to the stars:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/223 ... s-lined-up
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote: February 25th, 2021, 9:08 pm Parrish Hickman was from Michigan State. Cordell Robinson played for the USC Trojans before transferring to Liberty.
Thanks for the correction. Both of them were pretty good.
There is only one USC. Fight On. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D 8)
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote: February 25th, 2021, 9:08 pm Parrish Hickman was from Michigan State.
Hickman was on the LU team that beat VA Tech in Blacksburg.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: February 25th, 2021, 9:01 pm

IMHO, we have never had a better ball handler than McGhee...
Agreed.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: February 25th, 2021, 9:24 pm
SumItUp wrote: February 25th, 2021, 9:08 pm Parrish Hickman was from Michigan State.
Hickman was on the LU team that beat VA Tech in Blacksburg.
I was at that game! One of the highlights of my Liberty fandom.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]