If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Bellarmine University
Louisville, Kentucky

BU Official Hoops Site

Private Institution
Founded in 1950
Religious Affiliation: Catholic
Enrollment: 3973
Nickname: Knights

Freedom Hall
Opened in 1956 - Seats 18,749

Scott Davenport
16th season as BU Head Coach

2020-2021 Schedule/Results

Overall ..... 13-5
ASUN ....... 10-2
Home ........ 6-3

DEC 04 - @ 6 DUKE ..................................... L 54-76
DEC 06 - @ HOWARD .................................. W 84-63
DEC 09 - UT-CHATTANOOGA ....................... L 68-77
DEC 23 - @ NOTRE DAME ........................... L 70-81
JAN 01 - TRANSYLVANIA ............................ W 90-40
JAN 02 - MT ST JOSEPH ............................. W 90-38
JAN 08 - LIPSCOMB* .................................. L 72-77
JAN 09 - LIPSCOMB* .................................. L 58-65
JAN 15 - @ FGCU* ...................................... W 74-60
JAN 16 - @ FGCU* ...................................... W 80-63
JAN 22 - STETSON* .................................... W 67-62
JAN 23 - STETSON* .................................... W 76-65
JAN 29 - @ KENNESAW STATE* .................. W 84-67
JAN 30 - @ KENNESAW STATE* .................. W 84-79
FEB 05 - JACKSONVILLE* ........................... W 71-56
FEB 06 - JACKSONVILLE ............................. W 63-44
FEB 12 - @ NORTH ALABAMA* .................... W 66-64
FEB 13 - @ NORTH ALABAMA* .................... W 87-63
FEB 19 - NORTH FLORIDA* .......................... Canceled
FEB 20 - @ NORTH FLORIDA* ...................... Canceled
FEB 27 - LIBERTY* ........................................ NOON (ESPNU)
LU Grad 11 wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 6:45 pm Have won their last 10, and 7 of those by double digits. Definitely a quality team. Well coached. Bradshaw is key to their offense. Hopefully, we'll stay hot. Go Flames!!!
Agree.
Their margin of victory is impressive. Wish this were a home game.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Freedom Hall seats over 18,000??? :dontgetit
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
When Denny had his Cardinals riding high that fairgrounds arena was perhaps the most intimidating barn in America. It has now been a decade since they abandoned the place for the Yum Center. Old Hags like us remember watching network games from the place regularly on Saturdays when network games were few and far between. Wes Unseld ... Never Nervous Pervis ... the McCrays ... Dr. Dunkenstein .... the list could go on and on.

As for the game itself, the Commish is really going to the extra step to indulge these Kentuckians in order to use this as evidence to point towards as he recruits more schools in this football adventure. I think he is past worrying about us recognizing that we are likely short-timers. I actually understand the thinking even though it is not in our favor.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 11:05 pm
Cider Jim wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 10:13 pm Freedom Hall seats over 18,000??? :dontgetit
From the link it’s got quite the impressive history. I wonder how many fans Bellarmine might draw in a given year now that they’ve moved up.
My understanding is that Bellarmine's decision to rent Freedom Hall for their basketball games is primarily for this year, based on them being able to have up to 2700 fans there under KY's Covid protocols as opposed to about 300 in their on campus facility. I suspect it will be back to 2200 capacity Knight's Hall for most home games once things are back to normal, but they will have Freedom Hall as an option when they feel it is appropriate.
stokesjokes liked this
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
They should have a home court advantage. They are a disciplined and a really well balanced team that shoots 51%. Bradshaw, their 6'7" guard, started out at Belmont when he was a "Mr. Kentucky" finalist in HS but there are 4-5 major contributors both on the offense and defense, and they have height. Should be a fun game to watch with my wife. We'll be wearing red!
olldflame wrote: February 24th, 2021, 11:30 am
stokesjokes wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 11:05 pm
Cider Jim wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 10:13 pm Freedom Hall seats over 18,000??? :dontgetit
From the link it’s got quite the impressive history. I wonder how many fans Bellarmine might draw in a given year now that they’ve moved up.
My understanding is that Bellarmine's decision to rent Freedom Hall for their basketball games is primarily for this year, based on them being able to have up to 2700 fans there under KY's Covid protocols as opposed to about 300 in their on campus facility. I suspect it will be back to 2200 capacity Knight's Hall for most home games once things are back to normal, but they will have Freedom Hall as an option when they feel it is appropriate.
That makes a ton of sense, thanks
My sources say that one of the original DC Talk singers is doing a concert that weekend at Freedom Hall. :shock:

The question is, will Purple be there as part of his Magical Tour? :dontgetit
Cider Jim wrote: February 24th, 2021, 3:41 pm My sources say that one of the original DC Talk singers is doing a concert that weekend at Freedom Hall. :shock:

Speaking of Purple, did anyone catch Dennis Carter's One-on-one Segment today on WLNI? Some serious insight into what makes ladies' B-ball so interesting at Appomattox High School,
flamehunter wrote: February 24th, 2021, 4:00 pm
Cider Jim wrote: February 24th, 2021, 3:41 pm My sources say that one of the original DC Talk singers is doing a concert that weekend at Freedom Hall. :shock:

Speaking of Purple, did anyone catch Dennis Carter's One-on-one Segment today on WLNI? Some serious insight into what makes ladies' B-ball so interesting at Appomattox High School,
Toby Mac will be wrapping up his concert about 12 hours before the Flames hit the floor. He is a big fan of our MBB team and was at the ASUN championship game against Lipscomb in 2019 (he lives in Nashville). I believe he will be at the game, and wouldn't be surprised if the team makes a showing at the concert.
Geraldos Mustache liked this

Was there another one today? I’m still recovering from Mrs Purple throwing me under the bus last time :D
Purple Haize wrote: February 24th, 2021, 9:56 pm

Was there another one today? I’m still recovering from Mrs Purple throwing me under the bus last time :D
I don't know if this was the same as previous or not. She did say that the assistant coach was MUCH more likely to get "T-ed" up than the head coach.
flamehunter wrote: February 25th, 2021, 7:27 am

I don't know if this was the same as previous or not. She did say that the assistant coach was MUCH more likely to get "T-ed" up than the head coach.
Sounds like the same interview.
flamehunter wrote: February 25th, 2021, 7:27 am

Haha. Yep. Same bus! Now it’s even a promo for the show! No respect I tell ya. None :D
LIBERTY AND BELLARMINE TO MEET ON ESPNU FOR ASUN REGULAR SEASON TITLE

On Saturday, Liberty and Bellarmine will meet at Freedom Hall in Louisville, Kentucky in the regular season finale for both teams, and the Flames and Knights will be playing with a regular season title on the line as both have identical 10-2 conference records entering the game.

Saturday’s contest will be the first-ever meeting between the two schools, but neither team is new to competing for championships. Liberty will be looking for a third straight regular season ASUN title as the Flames have won the regular season and conference title in each of its first two years in the league. Bellarmine may be new to the ASUN and Division I as they moved up from Division II and the Great Lakes Valley Conference just prior to this season.

“Proud of our group for being in this position,” Liberty head coach Ritchie McKay said. “I do think it will be a little unique – an arena we’ve never been in, a team we’ve never played against – and we didn’t start our prep until (Tuesday). I do think our guys will be primed to try and compete and give our very best with the number one seed on the line.”

Click here for more
Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by So[…]