If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Geraldos Mustache
North Alabama is on a 5-game losing streak with a split @ UNF, two losses @ FGCU and two losses vs. Bellarmine. They were competitive in only one of those games. Liberty brings a 6-game win streak into this weekend. Time for Liberty to take care of business at home like we did vs. North Florida. This weekend series are our last home games of the season.
By LU Grad 11
Registration Days Posts
We might be better off to just scrap the UNA games and play someone else with a better NET ranking this weekend or early next week, and then prepare for Bellarmine.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LU Grad 11 wrote: February 18th, 2021, 6:44 pm We might be better off to just scrap the UNA games and play someone else with a better NET ranking this weekend or early next week, and then prepare for Bellarmine.
That won't be our call. I also highly doubt we would want to do it, and if we did, I don't like the odds of being able to get anyone who would help our NET to play us, especially on our court. There will be plenty of time to prepare for Bellarmine.
By LU Grad 11
Registration Days Posts
Even if we could play another non D1. I'm just saying 4 games in a week would not be ideal, and would probably benefit Bellarmine. Bellarmine games are much more significant. Can't afford to lose either of the UNA games for best potential seeding in NCAA tournament, either. We're going to have to beat Bellarmine twice, since they've opted out of road games this weekend due to inconclusive testing results. Does this mean we can play them at home again now? Unless Bellarmine can't play next week. Then we could tie them with 2 more wins, and would likely win the tiebreaker.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
The best scenario is to play N Alabama on M/Tu or Tu/W and then move back the Bellarmine series a day or 2, which would give them more time to resolve their "inconclusive testing" situation. :roll:
By LU Grad 11
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: February 18th, 2021, 8:29 pm The best scenario is to play N Alabama on M/Tu or Tu/W and then move back the Bellarmine series a day or 2, which would give them more time to resolve their "inconclusive testing" situation. :roll:
Tournament quarterfinals are the next Thursday. The league hasn't scheduled any midweek games to this point. Why start now?
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
UNA games postponed due to them not being able to practice or perform covid testing because of the weather. I guess when your season is trending in the wrong direction you lose motivation to do what you have to to keep your games scheduled. ASUN definitely needs to move the Bellarmine games, if they happen, to Lynchburg now.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote: February 19th, 2021, 7:18 am UNA games postponed due to them not being able to practice or perform covid testing because of the weather. I guess when your season is trending in the wrong direction you lose motivation to do what you have to to keep your games scheduled. ASUN definitely needs to move the Bellarmine games, if they happen, to Lynchburg now.
I give N Bama a bit of slack because they are certainly not accustomed to dealing with this sort of weather. I haven's seen any indication that those games will not be played, and there is plenty of time before the scheduled start of the conference tournament to get in all 4 games currently on the schedule. There is also a bit of flexibility for the ASUN to move the tourney back if necessary.

If the games against N Alabama end up being cancelled, I agree that the Bellarmine games would need to be played in Lynchburg. Otherwise, we would have only 4 of 12 games at home.
By Geraldos Mustache
This is very disappointing for me, personally. I look forward to watching these basketball games very much. We cannot attend high school athletics here in Illinois. There's snow everywhere, bitter cold. My company has everyone working from home. There's no where to go - nothing to do. I don't have a lot to look forward to, but these Liberty games have been something I am excited to experience. It's good for my mental health.

Can't wait for this long, cold winter to be over.
Can't wait to achieve herd immunity of COVID and start getting back to normal.
LUOrange liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
N Alabama games on for tomorrow and Tuesday at noon!

I predict that if Bellarmine can get their Covid testing situation straight, those games will be played on Saturday and Sunday. As far as where is concerned, that's anybody's guess, because with their games at N Florida cancelled, the no 3 road weekends in a row rule is not a factor.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
So, the tweet from MBB does say the N Bama games will be our last home games this season. I suppose it's possible that they also have a rule prohibiting 3 straight home series, but I'm not aware of it. Bottom line is that whoever hosts the LU/Bellarmine games will have 8 of 14 games at home, while the visiting team will have 6 of 14.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
If these games go off as planned we will be headed to historic Freedom Hall next week. The commish mad eit clear that the three road series in a row in unacceptable from the league offiice perspective.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
But since Bellarmine's games got cancelled, theoretically the ASUN could change it back. I don't see that happening but they'd no longer be violating that league rule.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: February 21st, 2021, 11:51 am But since Bellarmine's games got cancelled, theoretically the ASUN could change it back. I don't see that happening but they'd no longer be violating that league rule.
That's correct. It's also possible they may decide that that rule also "implies" that 3 home series in a row would be somehow unfair, whether they have actually stated that or not.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Yeah. Who ever really knows when it comes to the ASun. I just want us to keep improving and winning games. All the other stuff is just annoying noise at this point.
By ASOR Forums Admin
Posts Custom
Took forever to get here (or at least it feels like forever). We have a little mid-day basketball to watch at work.

LIBERTY VS NORTH ALABAMA PREVIEW

It’s been a challenge to get these games scheduled as they were originally on the docket to be played in Florence, Alabama before they were switched to Lynchburg due to a number of reasons. Then, an ice and snow storm blanketed much of the country including Alabama and the North Alabama campus was shut down much of this past week. It forced the Lions to cancel all sporting events over the weekend as the players and coaches were unable to get into the facilities to have COVID tests or participate in any workouts.

Ultimately, the games are now finally scheduled for a pair of contests mid-day early in the week. It’s unorthodox, but this is college athletics in a COVID world.

North Alabama, ineligible for the NCAA tournament as they are in their third year of a four year reclassification process from Division II, raced out to a 6-1 mark in ASUN play and were 10-3 overall as the Lions set atop the ASUN standings. Since that point, UNA has dropped five straight games including a pair at home against Bellarmine last week. (Click Here For More)
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
My only disappointment was that when the lead got to 29 about midway through the second half and Ritchie started to put the non-rotation guys in (Jackson, Abii, Warfield) they immediately gave up a 9-0 run and he had to go back to the regulars. If those guys had played just a bit better, they would have gotten significant minutes and we could have gone on and emptied the bench. A degree of credit goes to N Alabama because if nothing else Pujols has developed a "no quit" culture. You can't let up against them.
By LU Grad 11
Registration Days Posts
So, if reports are true, the game tomorrow is meaningless for our regular season title chances. One game against Bellarmine on Saturday.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
The conference is a joke but if we don't win the conference tourney then we aren't as good as we think we are. I'm tired of all the ASun whining going on on social media from LU fans.

I mean I get it, the ASun sucks and has handled this season in probably the worst way possible but we still shouldn't have any trouble taking care of business.
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]