If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LU Grad 11 wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 9:00 pm So, if reports are true, the game tomorrow is meaningless for our regular season title chances. One game against Bellarmine on Saturday.
Looks like that is the case. Whether we win or lose tomorrow, the winner Saturday will be the first seed/regular season champion because the head to head is the first tiebreaker. Eleminating the second game looks like a smart move to prevent it from going any further than that. If we had played both games and ended up both 11-3 with a split in the head to head, I believe the next tiebreaker would be the record against the 3rd place team, which we would win because Lipscomb swept them.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I've always wondered that too. Transitioning teams have played in the conference tourneys before but I guess conferences assume their conference is strong enough to keep up with a transitioning team.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 11:49 pm I've always wondered that too. Transitioning teams have played in the conference tourneys before but I guess conferences assume their conference is strong enough to keep up with a transitioning team.
I would be interested in hearing Gumbart's explanation as to what they believe they gain by doing this. It's not just basketball, it's across the board in all sports, and this is not the first time there has been a legit contender who was not eligible. N Alabama's softball team was really good, and went into the tournament with the best/hottest pitcher in the league in 2019.
By BlueBlood
I’m guessing it’s a perk thrown to the transitioning teams when the conference is wooing them. It gives their student athletes a goal to strive for and makes the season more meaningful. Otherwise they are just done at the end of regular season no matter how good they are.

But, that the ASUN offers it when others do not is a sign of weakness for the ASUN.
By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
It's all part of the ASUN trying to be a cutting edge conference. They have pushed to have new legislation to lessen the D2>D1 transition process from 4 years to 2 years.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
A Sea of Red wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 9:21 am It's all part of the ASUN trying to be a cutting edge conference. They have pushed to have new legislation to lessen the D2>D1 transition process from 4 years to 2 years.
I'm all for that. 4 years is too long. Not a fan of allowing ineligible teams to compete in conference tournaments.
ballcoach15 liked this
By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
olldflame wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 9:43 am
A Sea of Red wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 9:21 am It's all part of the ASUN trying to be a cutting edge conference. They have pushed to have new legislation to lessen the D2>D1 transition process from 4 years to 2 years.
I'm all for that. 4 years is too long. Not a fan of allowing ineligible teams to compete in conference tournaments.
I don't disagree with you on either point.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
Whoever put money on the exact same 74-54 score for today congratulations on your payday.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 2:56 pm Winner takes all at Freedom Hall!
Televised on ESPNU. Play Basketball
ballcoach15 liked this
By LUDad
Wouldn't it be to LU's advantage for Bellarmine to be in the tournament? That would put a team in the opposite bracket that we would not have to beat to get auto bid to NCAA.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 5:55 pm Wouldn't it be to LU's advantage for Bellarmine to be in the tournament? That would put a team in the opposite bracket that we would not have to beat to get auto bid to NCAA.
In this year's MBB tournament it is. Personally, I still don't like it.
By LU Grad 11
Registration Days Posts
Another solid game! McDowell and McGhee are filling it up from three. Dobbs with a quality performance, as well. Disappointed in Preston's play. Seems the more athletic bigs give him fits. Looking forward to a potential NCAA tournament game, this could be an issue. Exactly why I think Abii should have been developed more this year. He played well against athletic bigs early in the season.
ballcoach15 liked this
By tyndal23
Nonsense. They handled it as well as any P5 conference in same circumstance this year. Stayed completely fluid and the minute we won first UNA game announced a 1 game play for keeps where the math worked perfect up and down the line. Do you really think Ian and McKay weren’t consulted and part of that decision process? I actually really like the ASun Commish and his accessibility/transparency plus what his plans are for ASun football. 9 months or so ago, every one was laughing at his back door plans for wrapping up two conferences from a defunct conference and making it all work. He is visionary and pushes the envelope. As for LU belonging in the ASun for any length of time - different topic, but I like the commish and think about 4 of the P5 commish stuffed shirts could learn a thing or two from him.
ballcoach15 liked this
By ASOR Forums Admin
Posts Custom
MCGHEE CONTINUES HOT STREAK AS FLAMES ROLL PAST NORTH ALABAMA

Liberty (19-5, 10-2) closed out its first season at Liberty Arena with a 74-54 win over North Alabama (10-10, 6-8) on Tuesday afternoon, an identical score from Monday’s game between the two ASUN opponents. With the win, the Flames move into a first place tie with Bellarmine in the ASUN at 10-2.

Liberty finished the season 13-0 in the new facility and have now won 36 straight home games overall. The Flames have finished unbeaten at home each of the past two seasons with the last home loss coming January 29, 2019 against Lipscomb. Liberty is 46-1 at home over the past three seasons and 25-1 in ASUN games.

“To have another season where we went unbeaten at home is really a blessing, especially in a year like we had with COVID and all the restrictions and the testing, just a resilient group,” Liberty head coach Ritchie McKay said of his team following the win.(Click here for more)
NCAA Realignment Megathread

At what point in history was the ACC ever any bett[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

With all due respect, Atrain was in Dallas in his […]

LaTech

I also keep tab with JMU because there is a player[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]